Northern or Iron Oak splitters

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NOTIME2SKI

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
First - Thanks to all who regularly post here. Your information has been invaluable to a newcomer. I partially heat with a woodstove and insert,
normally splitting ~ 5 cords per year. Due to 50+ years, and shoulder surgury
last week, I am finally faced with getting a logsplitter. Of course, once I get one, I am sure a few friends will increase the yearly amount to at least 10 cords. Most of what we get is red oak, but whatever hardwood that comes along. With free wood grabbing, I now have a number of 36" diameter
red oak rounds - most everything else is 18" - 24"
I am narrowed down to Northern Tool 30 ($1520) or 37 ton ($1799) (They went on sale today) or Iron and Oak 22 ton with Honda, or 26 ton with Robins - both @ $2000 - the 22 ton is new, the 26 ton is used, but with full warranty from dealer.
From this list only, what would recommendations be as to the splitter that will handle everything - including being borrowed - be easy to set up and use, and not be overkill for the quantities mentioned. At 52, I want this purchase to last till I am no longer breathing, and am willing to spend a little more to get that - if necessary. If the concensus is that the 30 ton Northern
is more than enough to split everything - and is built well enough to hold up for 20 years+ - then the extra money will be put to good use on some other toys.
Thanks
John

we have the 37 ton northern splitter, and have used it for 2 years now, without a single problem. these splitters will handle anything you can put on it. we split stuff that is so big that it requires a tractor with a front end loader to lift it onto it. we split mostly water oak, and it has some nasty knots in it, and nothing will stop it. good luck with whatever you purchase

Here is the Iron and Oak splitter I run http://www.ironandoak.com/itemdetai...ategory&categoryid=2&parentid=103&searchtext= I own the 22 ton version of it, and for the most part love it, I say for the most part because, I have broken the 4 way cylinder 3 times, they had warrantied it with no questions but, I decided to rebuild it and since hasn't broken. We also broke the axle on the splitter, but we pull at 55 down the road, and don't take it easy on the back roads either, with the modifications, ( pan on end to put wood into conveyor weighs about 125 pounds just the pan) this is one very heavy splitter that two full grown men have a hard time just picking up the tongue to set into the conveyor. Would I buy one again, yes, but would order it with torsion axles. The 22 ton splitter has split everything that I need it to but maybe one pickup load out of about 200 cord (600 face) I am very happy with it over all.
And yes we also split stuff that the 500 pound log lift wont lift without 2 guys helping to lift it

i have the iron and oak 26 ton h/v with the 9hp honda and i love it. i was torn between this and the 37 ton northern and i feel like i made the right decision.

it is very well built and it shows in the specs 700lbs dry that is more than the 37 ton northern and the northern has a bigger cylinder. im not biased on which one it came down to price for me (the northern was more than the i&o both being shipped to my door) there have been some reported problems with the northern leaks, weak pivot point and some bad valves, and i have never until reading this thread heard of a problem with iron and oak. i went down to the local rental place and talked with them about the i&o (they rent 3 with robin engines) and he said that they were the only ones he has that lasted more than 3 years. sold me cause these things get used constantly. just make sure u get a honda or robin the savings with a briggs wont pay off in the long run.

[....., and i have never until reading this thread heard of a problem with iron and oak.
I should say if it wasn't clear that my broken 4 way cylinder, and broken axle in my HO is not iron and oaks fault. First after I have broken the cylinder a couple of times, I came to the conclusion that the table i put on the end of the splitter was too high causing some pieces of wood to bind against the four way and the table eventually it would "pop" the threaded end off the cylinder, secondly the axles,are probably my fault because like I said earlier, I don't take it easy on the back roads, and In Sanilac county the pot holes in dirt roads will swallow a Chevy. Broke three springs on my wood trailer this winter. I guess what I am saying I DO NOT BLAME IRON AND OAK
I am overly impressed with the splitter I bought, and would by one again. We have processed over 300 cord and again the machine has not let me down other than things that were my own fault

292bu9x.jpg
thear great we cut over 100 cords a year i have 4 other splitters but i@o is the best

more I+O. questions

Thanks for the feedback so far - I am definately leaning towards I&O. Boy is it going to strech the budget though.
In the pictures I have seen, it looks like the control handle and valve are directly in line if a piece should come back on the wedge. Did all of you buy the optional stripper , or is it ok to run without it for a little while and buy it later? I also like the look of the log cradles, but at $150, has anyone come up with an alternate cradle, homebuilt or otherwise? Finally, I am hoping that the 26 ton is in good shape, but if not, is the 22 ton sufficient to split most everything that the 26 would?
Again, thanks for helping a newbie feel welcome.

Last edited:
I also like the look of the log cradles, but at $150, has anyone come up with an alternate cradle, homebuilt or otherwise? Finally, I am hoping that the 26 ton is in good shape, but if not, is the 22 ton sufficient to split most everything that the 26 would?
Again, thanks for helping a newbie feel welcome.
The 26 ton should do everything you need it to, Like I said before the 22 ton that I use does everything that I need it too but maybe a pickup load a year, and that is using the four way wedge on it. As far as the log cradle goes, are you talking on the beam or to keep the wood off the ground after it splits? I put one on mine to catch the splits and drop into the conveyor, and the price for the solid steel, bent wast 125 and I had to weld it to the splitter. Do some research on here for ton ratings on splitters, and you will find that alot of splitters are over rated for the mechanics built into the splitter, I do not now about NT but alot of the so called 30 tonners are not 30 ton.

Robin vs honda

One more question. With the Iron and Oak, the Robin 9 hp is $300 less
than the Honda engine - about the same price as the B+S option. I will already be streching things to their limit money wise, so the Honda really makes it unaffordable. I have absolutely no experience with the Subaru Robin
engines - how do they compare with the Hondas? I just want to make sure that if I spend the extra money for the Iron and Oak, that the engine will be as trouble free and easy starting as the Honda I would have gotten with the Northern.

One more question. With the Iron and Oak, the Robin 9 hp is $300 less
than the Honda engine - about the same price as the B+S option. I will already be streching things to their limit money wise, so the Honda really makes it unaffordable. I have absolutely no experience with the Subaru Robin
engines - how do they compare with the Hondas? I just want to make sure that if I spend the extra money for the Iron and Oak, that the engine will be as trouble free and easy starting as the Honda I would have gotten with the Northern.

Rest your fears! The Subaru/Robin is an excellent motor. I have one on a Hotsy pressure washer and thus far I would rate it the equal of the Honda engines I have on other equipment. I also have the 26 ton I & O, ( Honda ), and have had no problems splitting anything I put in it, no mechanical problems as of yet either.

I have the Northern 37 ton and am happy with it. With the 4 way wedge I have yet to find a piece of knotted, twisted, crotch wood, etc. that will stop it.
I have changed two things on it.
First I extended the stripper to protect the gas tank when using it horizontally. Without it the tank would be toast or I would have to be a lot more careful about how I split wood. As it is I don't give much thought at all to how a round is oriented because it will push through them all. I think this is a must.
Second I added a table to support the half split wood on the off side until I get a chance to get back to it. This is really nice but not a must.

Whatever you get I would highly recomend one that will idle down when fully retracted. Mine does and I love it. It really streches a tank of fuel and makes it much quieter.

Good luck.

Not being cheap - I am a homeowner

Tom,
I am not trying to be cheap - if I were, there are many other logsplitters I could be looking at. Wood is for auxilary heat in my house, camping, fires in back yard, etc. Period. I am not in the business, but just burning to keep oil bill low. Having just had my shoulder rebuilt, hand splitting is no longer an option for me, otherwise, no need for splitter. With two kids in college, pulling the money together for any splitter hasn't been easy. I am already going 600 over my initial plan, but figure it is worth it to get a better quality splitter, which the Iron and Oak appears to be. I was just making sure that the Subaru is up to the same level of quality as the splitter. If not, than I would rather drop to a lower splitter with a better engine. If I went to the missus
and said I need yet another 300 towards the splitter - the only thing split would be my head. She saw a small 16 ton with briggs at local hardware
store for $800, so any money past that is wasted as far as she is concerned.
Unfortunately, with 30 years marriage, her warranty has definately expired, so the odds of trading her in are slim :) Yuor pictures of your massive woodpiles are what got me looking at Iron and Oak in the first place. My back gets sore just looking at them

ok

I have the 22 ton I/O splitter with the 6.5 H.P. B.S. engine on it , I am happy with it , I think that what ever engine you get on your I/O spitter you will be happy with it, I might split 6 cord a year, I have only had this spitter a short time , but can see its a lot of splitter for the money, Im in the same boat you are , Im 55 and wanted a splitter that would last a long time , so what its not a honda , when it gives out I might think about getting one, but for now it has all the power I need .

TEDMI

100_0083.jpg

100_0101.jpg

John,
I've run about a half dozen different log splitters in my day. I can't sing enough praises about my current log splitter: Iron and Oak Fast Cycle: 9 hp Honda motor, 3 and one half" piston, 16 gpm pump, and 8 second cycle time. I would tell you to buy this model and forget the rest. I had a 35-ton Huskee splitter from TCS. The Iron & Oak is twice as fast with as much power, if not more. It also weighs less and is more compact. Only negative about the Iron & Oak, it comes with no log strippers. I would advise to buy one, if not included. Cost about $85. I would also buy the cradle. I bought a work table from 33flame on ebay. It works great. If you buy this log splitter, you will never want to trade up.
Good luck.

Iron and oak

I an Got an older one bought it in 05 as a graduation gift prolly went through 800-1000 cords threw my and friends and family,I got it with a B&S it works great, two neg thing about it is that the spliting wege is kinda angled up so sometimes it pushes miss shaped wood out, and there bouncy if you tow them and it usuily sets my low oil #### off sensor wacky so you have to reset it atter you tow it.just disconect the wire then hook it back up, now I got a on/off switch for it now tho won't run if on off,cause it's like bing dissconnected that's my two cents

neat splitter table vs cradles on Iron and Oak

Thanks for all the info - I will be ordering an Iron and Oak next week. The 33 flame table looks awsome. In use how does it compare with the iron and oak cradles - would you buy this again, or go with their cradles that keep from logs from falling on both sides. I also assume that the flame33 table needs to be removed to go vertical - what is involved in that.
Fetchtool right now has the 26 ton with 9HP Robin for $1995 and free shipping. The 22 ton with 6HP Honda is $2050. Most posts have said that
22 ton is enough, and the feedback on the Robin engine has been positive.
So with both essentially the same price, if you were buying, which one would you get? Right now I am leaning towards the 26 ton/Robin.

Only used a couple different splitters but IMO a cradle isn't nearly as nice as a table. For vertical I'd guess it needs to be removed, but the amount of time spent in vertical is limited to none for me.

Go 26 ton Subaru. When that croaks you can put in a Honda, but for the extra tonnage and lesser price seems like an easy tradeoff.

22ton is plenty for the non-professional.

Back