Northern or Iron Oak splitters

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
go with the 26t with the robin engine it will be all u ever need. toolfetch is great, great service and shipping! enjoy ur new machine

With 33flame's table, you work next to the rail on the side of the controls. You don't need the cradle on that side with his table on the opposiite side. When splitter in vertical, you have to remove table. You don't need the table anyway, the ground and toe of your splitter is the table. Flame's table has three holes on bracket. I only use the 1st and last holes of the bracket, using two(2) 5/16" bolts that are 3.5" long. The beam has two walls to drill through, there is an space between them. It's easier to mount the table with bolts going through both. It's a pain to tighten shorter bolts with nuts in the space. Also know that I added the diamond plate to 33flame's table to keep the small stuff from falling through.
Good luck.

Last edited:
Notime,
Check out ebay, an outfit out of n.y., usedequipmentexpert, is selling a fast cycle Iron and Oak splitter with 9hp Honda motor and log stripper for $2,200 or best offer, plus $300 shipping. Tell him $2,100 with shipping and you got a deal. This is the same model as mine.

A-thanks for the info.

I really appreciate your help with this decision. I am going to look at a 26 ton tomorrow -used,but full warranty from dealer. If we can strike a deal i'll be bringing it home. Will hold off on the cradle for now, your table looks much more functional.
So how bad is towing one of these? Without a suspension,I don't want to do it if it will mess anything up. trip is ~ 40 miles, but should be able to stay off highways. My only other option is to borrow a friends trailer, but that means a second trip up.
Thanks again

I really appreciate your help with this decision. I am going to look at a 26 ton tomorrow -used,but full warranty from dealer. If we can strike a deal i'll be bringing it home. Will hold off on the cradle for now, your table looks much more functional.
So how bad is towing one of these? Without a suspension,I don't want to do it if it will mess anything up. trip is ~ 40 miles, but should be able to stay off highways. My only other option is to borrow a friends trailer, but that means a second trip up.
Thanks again
If you are taking your pickup have them put it in the back for ya, I bought mine as a demo and got 2,000 off sticker, but it was list at 7300 if i remember correctly. If you cant put it in your truck, just take your time and you will be fine hauling it down the road, I believe that the smaller splitters have the same axles, and tires as my commercial, and it probably weights twice as much and was fine until I hit a big whole in the road this winter, at about 45 dirt road, my bad.

Iron and Oak recommends that you not tow faster than 35 mph. I would look at renting a trailer. Most trailers around here rent for about $50 for 4 hours. And if you really want to split hairs, towing this splitter is illegal. It's considered a motor vehicle and requires a reg. and dot lights.

I have a Vert/horiz Iron/Oak 26 ton with the 9 hp Honda.

Haven't found a chunk of wood it would not split.

I understand the Robbins engine is plenty durable/dependable.

I think the Robbins on the 26 ton I/O, new, is around 2K, including shipping.

Iron and Oak recommends that you not tow faster than 35 mph. I would look at renting a trailer. Most trailers around here rent for about $50 for 4 hours. And if you really want to split hairs, towing this splitter is illegal. It's considered a motor vehicle and requires a reg. and dot lights.

I asked a buddy of mine who is a county police officer here in Michigan and he told me that if it is equipment needed for a job, like a splitter, cement mixer, that I could tow it (check this out) behind my bumper hitch trailer and not need any lights or anything on my splitter, Legally, but I do need my doubles endorsement that of which I do have. I pull my dump trailer, with splitter hooked to the back of it just about every time I go to the woods, saves me a trip. If it was for personal use like a camper, and a boat, I would need the camper to be hooked to the pickup with a 5tg wheel hitch and the boat could be pulled behind the camper, and it would need lights, etc.

I was just stating CT law. Anything towed on the road with a rubber tire is considered a motor vehicle. Mopeds are a similar issue. I see a lot of kids driving them and those scooters around here. By CT law you need a motorcycle or car driver license to operate one legally. I was talking with a guy whose license was suspended for DWI. He wasn't allowed to operate a moped becasue he had no driver license.

goodbye Iron and Oak-Hello Northern

Well, things sure change quick! I looked at the used 26 ton today and it was a no go-same money as new through toolfetch and it looked pretty beat. When i got home I got a call
from one of my neighbors to call right away. Turns out he already ordered
one of the Northern 37 ton splitters this week cause of the sale, and wanted to know if I wanted to go 50/50 with him. Best of all, he has a small garage, I have a big one, so it will be stored here. So I end up with the Honda after all!
I just wish I had known he was buying-he had never heard of Iron and Oak.
He already checked-too late to cancel. From everything I have read, the Northern should do well also - even it is probably overkill for two 50+ homeowners. I just wish the wives weren't friends-no chance of putting the extra in the toy kitty now!
For those of you with the Northern, did you end up installing a filter in the hydraulic line, and if so, what did you get and where? Also, I keep reading about the gas tank getting hit by stuck logs when they come off the ram -
any easy solutions to that if it is really a problem?
Otherwise I thank all the helpful posts!

good deal it always help when u can split the cost with someone else,me and my brother went in half on my splitter.

I extended the log stripper far enough to protect the tank when in horizontal mode by welding some 1/4" X 4" flat strap to it and bracing the new guard back to the stripper.
I also added a quick and dirty table that helps splitting wood and also protects the engine.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back