VERY ANGY. NOT HAPPY (string trimmers)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WOW !!!
I take a little nap and I come back to 2 pages!!
There are so many posts on here that I can't even start to refute them all.

I know I get what I pay for. Unless its a honduh. Then you buy hype. The problem with dumping 300+ (I haven't gone and priced all other options) on a trimmer is it get used sooo little. If it racked up 20 min a month or and hour or two a year it would be a miracle(That probably why my 700r still has like new compression). I just don't really need a stihl 4 mix or the biggest baddest trimmer man can engineer. I just have a small back yard with a couple of trees.

My original post was more of a rant about the crap that's out there. I would like a 4T hoping for a little less trouble/mess involved with the fuel and how little I use the thing but from what I'm seeing that ain't so. I'm out of my league when it comes to trimmers and who's heads fit on what brands so I don't know if the crapsman trimmer uses a unique head or not. Its the point that you can not buy what you want. I'm gonna have to look around a bit more and see what the options are.

Bullittman

on a side note, which stihls are 4mixes? the website is unclear. it used to say 4mix but not any more.

I did a lot of research and decided on Echo

I just got the Echo SRM 265-T and I love it. It has a high torque head. Echo claims 50% more torque with this head. All I know is that it flat screams and doesn't balk at anything I throw at it. It was $329 and it's a 2 stroke. It starts very easy. The dealer also sells Sthil and Honda. He told me it's the best one( after I bought this one) except for a bigger Echo that he said is really overkill. It comes with a bumper head or you can choose a head that takes pre-cut line

You can get a Stihl FS 55 R for about 200 bucks. For occasional home use its one of the best out there and its fairly inexpensive.

If you need more muscle check out Shindaiwa, Kawasaki, or some of Stihl's bigger models. I would stay away from Redmax or echo personally. Good luck finding what you need.

Last I knew the 4 mix is NOT A 4 STROKE ENGINE!! You still have to mix the gas and oil!! The Dolmar MS251.4 uses straight gas and has a oil res. for 10W30

Scott

Lightweight is good for the back.

I've run/fixed/sold more than a few trimmers and I'd say

Lightweight trimming around the house (i.e. trimming around the mailbox, along the sidewalk, down the drive, and around the trees… what most folks need a trimmer for) hands down the Dolmar MS-22c.

If you need a little more "umph" in a still lightweight package.... Kawasaki KGT27a

If you need more than the Kawasaki can deliver (and not many will) than the Stihl FS250 is the next step up the food chain.

If you need something bigger than a FS250 you should probably be looking at a bush hog or some roundup but some (very very few) will actually have a need for a big clearing saw... then I'd be looking at a Stihl FS450 or FS550.

:cheers:

Last I knew the 4 mix is NOT A 4 STROKE ENGINE!! You still have to mix the gas and oil!! .....
Scott

Afaik, that is true, I still have problems with figuring out why they call them "4 mix" (except it is just marketing), but then I don't care much about small trimmers anyway.......

Last I knew the 4 mix is NOT A 4 STROKE ENGINE!! You still have to mix the gas and oil!! The Dolmar MS251.4 uses straight gas and has a oil res. for 10W30

Scott

It is exactly the same as a 4 stroke engine except it does not have its own oil sump and it relies on oil in the gas to lubricate.

WOW !!!
I take a little nap and I come back to 2 pages!!
There are so many posts on here that I can't even start to refute them all.

I know I get what I pay for. Unless its a honduh. Then you buy hype. The problem with dumping 300+ (I haven't gone and priced all other options) on a trimmer is it get used sooo little. If it racked up 20 min a month or and hour or two a year it would be a miracle(That probably why my 700r still has like new compression). I just don't really need a stihl 4 mix or the biggest baddest trimmer man can engineer. I just have a small back yard with a couple of trees.

My original post was more of a rant about the crap that's out there. I would like a 4T hoping for a little less trouble/mess involved with the fuel and how little I use the thing but from what I'm seeing that ain't so. I'm out of my league when it comes to trimmers and who's heads fit on what brands so I don't know if the crapsman trimmer uses a unique head or not. Its the point that you can not buy what you want. I'm gonna have to look around a bit more and see what the options are.

Bullittman

on a side note, which stihls are 4mixes? the website is unclear. it used to say 4mix but not any more.

The FS90R and larger are all 4MIX engines.

If I were you I would just get a homeowner Stihl, Shindaiwa, or similar. I wouldn't get something from a big box store. Other than having to mix the gas, you probably will not have much of an advantage with a 4 stroke. Run a good mix (50:1, good oil) and you will not have any trouble.

Scott

If you're gonna run down a competitors product at least have the decency to get the facts straight. :laugh:

Afaik, that is true, I still have problems with figuring out why they call them "4 mix" (except it is just marketing), but then I don't care much about small trimmers anyway.......

Because it is a true overhead valve 4 stroke engine.

looking at the owners manual it calls for regular 10-30 oil. I would have to have a separate sump for the oil. Just like a lawnmower engine. The 4mix just uses mixed fuel fro its lube and forgoes the extra sump.

Latest posts

Back