VERY ANGY. NOT HAPPY (string trimmers)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The next trimmer I get WILL be a Dolmar!!
The MS-22 is 8 lbs, very powerful and the startingest S.O.B. I've ever used.
It is way up on my wish list.
It is a 2 stroke though.

Mike

:agree2:

We've got one. It's about the lightest thing out there that's at least light-duty commercial rated. You can actually use it one handed it's so light. Starts by the 2nd pull everytime when cold sometimes the first when cold. The only negative I have about is the big guard for the bump head, I removed part of the guard and went to a manual head but to each his own as far as cutter heads.

When my bump head wore out on my Mauryama. I replaced the head with a Grass Gator. It takes from .095 to .130 precut lines. You can use 4 lines but I only use 2.

I have been using .105, it is a whole lot less trouble than a bump head.
I just cut a couple of extra lines and stick in my back pocket and can get about a tank of gas ran through before I have to put the first replacement line in.
Of course it all depend on what I'm trimming, chainlink eats it up a little faster.

When my bump head wore out on my Mauryama. I replaced the head with a Grass Gator. It takes from .095 to .130 precut lines. You can use 4 lines but I only use 2.

I have been using .105, it is a whole lot less trouble than a bump head.
I just cut a couple of extra lines and stick in my back pocket and can get about a tank of gas ran through before I have to put the first replacement line in.
Of course it all depend on what I'm trimming, chainlink eats it up a little faster.

Speaking of lines..I came up with something that works better for me. Most people use these to trim grass, nothing real heavy, and I found it best to go to thinner line, not thicker. Using thinner line is like using a sharper blade in a lawn mower. You don't have to rev the engine as high to get the same cut and the line will last longer with lower revs. If you go to thinner line it's best to get good quality line though. I usually don't go bigger than .080 line; string seems to last about as long.

:agree2:

We've got one. It's about the lightest thing out there that's at least light-duty commercial rated. You can actually use it one handed it's so light. Starts by the 2nd pull everytime when cold sometimes the first when cold. The only negative I have about is the big guard for the bump head, I removed part of the guard and went to a manual head but to each his own as far as cutter heads.

How much are they?

Hey, what was the Ryobi 700 doing wrong that made you give up? I have a 766r that I bought used and I recon'd for fun, they do have a few design quirks, but I have made a fix for the most serious one, the reed stop sits too close to the connecting rod big end. This is the 31cc cantilever crank engine. The rod will rub the (tip of) the reed stop over the years and eventually bits of chrome and metal fragment inside the case taking out the crank bearing and scoring the piston and maybe the piston ring. Using two gaskets under the carb manifold should give enough space, then it's a solid engine.:rock:

Weedeaters are reasonably priced new so lots of people just trashcan them when they have trouble with them and go buy a new one. Rural King has Poulan straight shaft ones on sale for $89...I've been looking for an excuse to buy one but mine is running pretty good right now. I think I have about 6 or so weedeaters and they're not the easiest things to store.

How much are they?

Probably marked around $245.00-$255.00 on the hangtag, you should be able to get one for around $230.00-$235.00 without to much hassle.

I use a tri-blade on mine for the ditch work out front... its an absolute weapon in that configuration/use. :cheers:

I've about had my fun fight carberation issues. First the fuel lines finally rotted so I replaced them but it still wasn't right. Then the primer bulb rotted out. So I replaced it and it was still not right. So I stuck new diaphragms in the carb and gave the carb a good once over and its better but still its not right. Its IMPOSSIBLE to set the mixture up correctly. Even if i get it running and dialed in it only lastd until I turn it off and then the carb adjustments starts all over. Hot it doesn't have the compression is does cold and the head/drive cable is so loose it has to be held on with magic. I don't know what it has for bearings in the end of the drive shaft tube but they are done for. The biggest issue is trying to get the carb set up. After almost 20 years I think I've got my moneys worth out of it. So its time for a new one.

I'm surprised to hear the comments about the Hondas being junk. I've always used Honda push mowers and they can't be beat. The Honda trimmer was actually my 1st choice, but I didn't want to spend that much so I just got a Stihl FS46 last week. Believe it or not the only reason I got the Stihl is because my Homelite is too short and hurts my back. I've been beating the CRAP out of this sx135 bandit for 16 years and it won't die! I can run it wide open with all she's got all day and it loves every minute of it.:)

I'm surprised to hear the comments about the Hondas being junk. I've always used Honda push mowers and they can't be beat. The Honda trimmer was actually my 1st choice, but I didn't want to spend that much so I just got a Stihl FS46 last week. Believe it or not the only reason I got the Stihl is because my Homelite is too short and hurts my back. I've been beating the CRAP out of this sx135 bandit for 16 years and it won't die! I can run it wide open with all she's got all day and it loves every minute of it.:)
My wife went out and bought a new Honda push mower and she seems to like it but I prefer my 1982 Lawn Boy because it is much lighter in weight. I have used the Lawn Boy since new and have no complaints except the steel deck rotted out and I replaced it with an aluminum one. The engine has run fine. As for the Weedeater, which I purchased new is too short also and I went back to my $5 Poulan Pro, straight shaft, which I got at the flea market.

with hunduhs the first problem is they are WAY over priced. Back in the day when the mini honduh came out its was pound for pound the heaviest and most expensive weed eater. Not to mention the most gutless. They do not have the power to cut Colorado native vegetation. The bump heats on them were total crap, so much as sucking a small stick up would make the head implode and spit parts all over every where. All the flimsy plastic switch gear was total crap. The kill switches died with in the first month. I guess the engine held up ok but we won't even talk about the one that would randomly James Bond it and smoke out the whole pick nick area for absolutely no reason. I wasn't impress one little but. Especially for the ~600$ price tag I remember them having.

Don't get a Stihl. The flippy cap on mine is worse than the ones on the saw.

Other than that, put heavy line on it and it cuts blackberries. I use a lot less line with the heavy weight stuff. I have a 90 four stroke. I also have a lot of ground to work on. :cry:

Back