690 Solo

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
spacemule said:
Has anyone used one of these $449 reconditioned 690 Solos? Sure is cheap. :cool:

That's where I got mine almost 2 years ago. The "reconditioned" line is somewhat misleading. They are demos or returns. Mine had some "abuse" issues right out of the gassy box but Solo HQ provided the parts and I brought it up to date. It was a little intimidating at first due to its size (90cc), but I've come to like it very much and it's a blast to run for the deep-throated howl it makes alone. The Two Year like-new warranty is no joke: (See SoloKleinMotoren thread.) Guys will warn you that dealer support is very thin, which is true, but I didn't care because I do my own work anyway.

I looked into those about a year ago, and was told that they never get any in anymore. Apparently, they just never update that web page.

That's dumb of them. Glad I got mine when I did. Hope it runs forever. I've got a lot of nice red pine to mill.

690/694 ?

What's the story of 690 vs. 694. Which saw is replacing who. Are they going to drop the Dolmar-made 694 in favor if a selfproduced 690?? :dizzy:

brent denny said:
In the US, I believe the 690 is now an obsolete model. It is being dropped in favor of the dolmar made 694. I dont know if it is due to emission issues or something to do with production/sales.

When I got mine, the word was going around that it was due to emission issues, but I can't prove that's true or not. I noticed on the Bailey Solos they said "Not for Sale in California" and now they have phased those out too.

I have read a lot of saw tests at the dlg http://www.dlg.org/de/landwirtschaft/landtechnik/pruefberichte/forstkommunal.html and kwf (not availiable at the moment) websites. It is highly unusual thet the variation between test result and factory stated power output is more than +/- .1 kw. :). In fact, I remember only one such case, maybe two, where it was -.2 kw.

There is nothing about the Solos in question at these sites though. :mad:

No, I don't know how many saws of each model they test, and how they handle break-in. Maybe someone else knows?

Last edited:
According to CSCC the changeover from 690 to 694 took place in 2001.

Does anyone know which market CSCC refers to, regarding time of introduction and discontinuation ?

Last edited:
Funny that the Solo isn't listed on that dlg.de website. It's a German made saw and it's a German website afterall.

In the sales literature I received from Solo almost two years ago, the 694 was already listed and NOT the 690.

Any dealers in the northeast for Solo?? I would love to learn more about these saws, as I've heard nothing bad about that actual saw itself.

solo 651 --

wow ... the solo 651 looks like a pretty nice saw - 4.0 bhp out of 51cc. If the powerhead actually weighs in at the advertised 10.8 lbs ... that should give the 260 a run. (the 260 is rated at 3.5bhp) I called Solo, and the woman said that the 651 was discontinued, not that I could have afforded one.

what's going on ... Dolmar drops the 5200i, solo the 651 ?? ??

I don't think the 651 is discontinued. They have them listed on the Solo usa website. The Michigan distributor, Rottmans Sales, has them listed on their Solo flyer. I bought mine for about $400 with a 16" bar, so the prices at the Solo website are high. It will at least cut with a MS260, and I feel it will outcut it, but some disagree. It's a little coarser feeling saw, not quite as refined. I just came from the woods, and I was eating through 12" black locust with my ported 651 like butter. I love it. Firewood doesn't stand a chance!

It may be the 651SP that is discontinued. I know my distributor has dropped it and now picked up the 651 in its place. They are nice saws but Solo's marketing is terrible.

Back