The "Dodge Intrepid" of chainsaws.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The 290 was my first saw. Yes it may be a little heavy but all in all its a very dependable saw. I will admidt it doesnt have anything on my new saws (460 and 056) but i know i run that saw more than the other two. I have a 20" bar and do most of my cutting on hedge. Ive never had a problem with it being underpowerd. I wouldnt trade it for anything.

I would say the same about my ms310. I don't know why dealers complain about 290's and there owners. With the amount of 290's and accessories dealers sell for them you would think that they are there bread and butter.:monkey:

I would say the same about my ms310. I don't know why dealers complain about 290's and there owners. With the amount of 290's and accessories dealers sell for them you would think that they are there bread and butter.:monkey:

Yes the 250 and 290 are our bread and butter. But, I get really tired of hearing that the are the baddest saw in the woods. Its almost as bad as hearing about grand pappys old homelite XL12

I worked with a guy from oklahoma that said he had 2 XL 12s. Had a 24" bar on one and a 36" bar on the other and had a mini mill he made rough lumber out of. I bet the one that is on the mill gets worked to death.

The 290 can't hold a candle to the true overweight and underpowered pig of the Stihl lineup, the 390. But then again, Husky has a pig saw too, the 570, but everybody knows that and nobody buys 570's cuz a 359 is cheaper and will outperform the 570 and the 390.

The 290 can't hold a candle to the true overweight and underpowered pig of the Stihl lineup, the 390. But then again, Husky has a pig saw too, the 570, but everybody knows that and nobody buys 570's cuz a 359 is cheaper and will outperform the 570 and the 390.

Wait a minute. The 390 has the same weight a the 290 with almost a full horse more! This must be the I hate everything clamshell bash thread! There is a fellow on this site that runs a 390 muffler mod saw with a 28 inch bar with quite a bit of success. Pig? I think not.

The point of this thread was not to bash the 290,310,390 or any other clam shell for that matter. Hell I think I have at least three(290's) in the garage right now! The point is the average Joe who uses a chainsaw twice a year who really think the 290 is a beast of a saw. What really gets me going is when they are in the middle of their "man killer" speech about their beast of a saw, I will interrupt them and ask "have you ever run a Poulan 655?" The usual response is "F@#$ a Pull-on I dont run them Wal-Mart saws, I only run Stihl MS290's." Then I think to myself "You Sir, are and F-ing Idiot!!!"

Wait a minute. The 390 has the same weight a the 290 with almost a full horse more! This must be the I hate everything clamshell bash thread! There is a fellow on this site that runs a 390 muffler mod saw with a 28 inch bar with quite a bit of success. Pig? I think not.

I don't think this is a clamshell bash, it's a bash the idiot who thinks the 290s are a "monster treekiller" thread.

Are the electric saws the toyota prius?

Nah!!

The Prius under the right conditions will take off like a rocketship unintentionally, and tear things up.
It's usefull and fun!

More like the Chevy Volt.
They both run on Coal, and neither live up to thier expectations and hype.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

my 310 pulls a 25" bar with no problems also my aunt has a 390 with a 28" bar it struggles a little but i think it because it has that cr*ppy safety chain.
thank god i never have to run that saw again because i got a husky 268
if your just a home owner (like me)that just cuts maybe tops ten times a year and half the time your using a smaller saw like an 024 or 136 even a plasticity poulan...:monkey:

Y'all don't get me wrong or anything, I think the 290 is a Pig.
A reliable pig that will cut a LOT of firewood as long as the Beer holds out.

NO SAW puts up with a dull chain as famously as a 290.
NO SAW can be dropped off a tailgate and survive as often as a 290.
NO SAW in history, runs as well on a mix of 9 month old Boat gas and water, salvaged from the last bass trip.

Matter of fact, the 290 excells so well in it's category of "No Love divorce trophy chainsaw", Husqvarna HAD to develop the 455 to compete with it.

For 14 Months Swedish cops were baffled by Drunken Swede engineers chucking chainsaws outta Volvo station wagons on all kinds of roads, untill it was discovered that the standard proving grounds were not suitable, and Husqvarna got a special Govt. research permit to use public roads.
They still didn't get it quite right though. Aluminum sheeting and insulation will bind up a 455 when cutting a Mobile Home in half, a horrible oversight the 290 does not suffer from.

Y'all can hate on 'em all ya want. I wont own one, and don't like to run them, but ya wont hear me trash talk the things.They really are a great saw for thier intended market share!:D

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Y'all can hate on 'em all ya want. I wont own one, and don't like to run them, but ya wont hear me trash talk the things.They really are a great saw for thier intended market share!:D

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

:agree2: However I do own one, only because it was a gift though.

a tank, to fill a gap in the market and blur the line between homeowner cr*p and the pro stuff..
think of the saws that are sitting in people's garages after one use. two years later they grab it to find out that it will not start so they trash it and go buy another one.

I had to smile at that one, Dingeryote.

I love it when I hear someone talking about their bad-___ saw. many of 'em have never used a saw over 60cc's. If you get the chance, show 'em what a 90cc or greater saw is like...

I had to smile at that one, Dingeryote.

I love it when I hear someone talking about their bad-___ saw. many of 'em have never used a saw over 60cc's. If you get the chance, show 'em what a 90cc or greater saw is like...

:hmm3grin2orange:

No point in digging out the monsters with some of the guys I cut with now and then around here.
A sharp chain on the 346xp is usually enough LOL!!

The 290 exceeds sane expectations from any saw from what I have seen.
I'll just leave it at that.;)

The only one I know of that isn't routinely whipped like Bill Klinton on anniversary night, starts on the second pull every time and has run like a champ for years. Perfect for what it was intended for.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Yes the 250 and 290 are our bread and butter. But, I get really tired of hearing that the are the baddest saw in the woods. Its almost as bad as hearing about grand pappys old homelite XL12

What's wrong with grand pappy's old Homelite XL12? I'd certainly have one good XL12 rather than a dozen Poulan: 2375 Wildthing, 3300 type saws...
:confused:

I agree that the idiots that brag that their 290 is a bad mofo are hard to take. I'm quite sure that they also brag about their 79 Camero and every other thing they've shelled out money (or traded pot) for. Doesn't make those saws pieces of crap. Just means they're rubes.

No I don't own an 029/290 and probably never will, unless one's given to me to use as a loaner/beater. They are putting income in your bank and wood in the stove however. The XL12's have been cutting the wood for over 45 years now, and the $$$ that they brought Homelite dealers (even those dealers who sold mostly Pro Homelites, such as in the PNW) was much appreciated as well..................................bet on it...:givebeer:

Last edited:
I have a Dodge Intrepid. It has 205,000 + miles on it. Is it a great car?..no. Does it go from point A to point B and back to point A? ...yes. It is just a means of transportation. It is not gonna win many races or win points for the way it looks, but it gets the job done. It, just like the 290 is made for the masses.

I can see the reference about them being the same. They both do what they were built to do at a cheap price. If I was wanting a big bad @$$ saw to brag about at the shop with my chest poked out I would get a 3120 or some other 100cc + sized saw. Same thing with a car. Buy a Lexus LS460 ( for its refinement) or a Ferrari ( for beating those Dodge Intrepids)

The 290 may be more like a F-150. It is capable of doing almost any job the average Joe is gonna use it for. If they really need a working saw they would buy the F-250 or F-350 of saws. Whatever that is!!!

The 290 is not a bad saw for the average woodcutter. Personally that is why I bought my 391 is to use it for woodcutting and some felling, Which my 044 with a 32 inch bar is used for felling.

I think my wildthingy is a vega more than a pinto. But I dont brag to others that its the baddest saw in the woods either. One guy was braggin on his 290 and was showing me some pics of a tree he had bucked up. I was fairly impressed that his saw was able to cut such a large tree...Till i found out it took him three days to do so.

It takes me about 4 or 5 days to cut up a tree...has nothing to do with my chainsaw. I think they call that aging.

Latest posts

Back