Stihl 290 a good choice for homeowner?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Upidstay

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Looking for a new saw. Am leaning towards the Stihl 290. I'm just a homeowner. Would be used for firewood cutting, and the occasional tree job for family or friends. Is this a good saw for occasional use?

290 farm boss

I have a 290 farm boss it is a great saw. I cut between 10 to 15 cords a year with mine and it seems to be a very well built saw. I have only had mine for one year but all seems well with it. I have been cleaning up cull logs from the loggers who are working on our farm. It seems to cut anything I have tried to cut with it. No issues so far and I have given it a work out all year long.

First thing I will say is do some reading because the only opinion that really matters is yours. Secondly I will add I have had a MS290 for three years now and it is yet to fail me, and I have been happy with it. I did buy a small top handle saw this year for pruning and limbing because the 290 is a little on the heavy side.

Yes. The MS290 is a decent general purpose homeowner/farm/ranch saw.

Here are its shortcomings:

Note that there are regional variations. Standard setup in some areas is 3/8" (.375") pitch and others it's .325" pitch. I've only run the .325 pitch, .063 gauge setup, and it's okay--just okay.

Burying a 20" bar in hardwoods is a little too much for the power it provides, but 16-18" should be better. It doesn't have good torque for stumping, either.

It's not more modern design, so it's more difficult to service yourself, and the power to weight ratio is lower than other saws in its displacement class (50-60cc saws). Also, it has older antivibration technology, so it's not a good saw if you're sensitive to vibrations.

If you want a Stihl, compare the MS290 to MS362 (or the discontinued MS361 if you can find one) to see what a top ~60cc saw looks and feels like. It has a pro design, better AV, much better fuel efficiency, better torque for stumping, and you can bury 20" bar in hardwoods.

Husqvarna and Dolmar/Makita make very good saws, too, so check them out if you also have those dealers in your area.

Last edited:
There was a fun thread recently in the chainsaw forum titled something like "The 290 - Dodge Intrepid of saws" or something. I thought Toyota Camry or Ford F-150 might have been more apt, but it was still a neat concept.

I don't own one, but aside from the aficionados, they are considered to be good reliable tools that'll do 80-90% of what the average firewooder/homeowner asks of it.

Sounds like a solid unit that'll stand the gaff. Just won't win you any bragging rights with the folks that hang out in the chainsaw forum down stairs.

Don't ask this question in the chainsaw forum. You will be told how much of a turd it is, only useful as a boat anchor, needs a muffler mod, etc. For the vast majority of people who would be in the market for a 290, it will fit their needs quite well and last a long time. If you get too concerned with power to weight ratios you will not be happy with it. Also, it depends on the size wood and frequency of cutting that size. If you never/ rarely cut larger than 18" wood, it will be great. Given the price and assuming you have a decent dealer nearby, they make great homeowner/ firewood saws. There is a reason they are Stihl's top selling saw.

Yes

It's Stihl's best selling saw for a reason. The dealer(s) I know that carry Stihl love them because they go out the door and only come back for chain sharpening and the occasional whoops damage when a tree rolls.

It's not outstanding at any one particular task, but does them all well.

Take Care

Don't ask this question in the chainsaw forum....

Okay, I'll bite. The MS290 is an overweight pig of a turd, boat anchor, wheel chock!!! :hmm3grin2orange:

The reason that it's Stihl's best selling saw is that uninformed consumers visit the dealer and buy the "best selling saw" because the dealer says it's the best selling saw. Talk about yer circular logic! :dizzy:

And it must be good because it says "Farm Boss" on the bar, and we all know that farmers don't waste good money on marginal equipment.

If you are cutting on a farm/ranch, just buy an MS362. Or buy a the classic 50cc & 70cc combo (Husqvarna NE346XP & 372XP) one saw at a time. Fer cryin' aut laud!
:greenchainsaw:

Last edited:
That didn't take long. Let's introduce the three saw plan 260, 460, 660. Why wait? Buy them all together. Can't be but 2-3 grand?!?:cheers:

Sure, stihl markets it as the best selling saw, which, in turn, makes it a self-fulfilling prophecy of sorts. That doesn't make it a bad saw for most people. Call it the adjustable wrench of chainsaws. To many people, the extra cost of a pro-level saw simply isn't worth it, as they are not chainsawphiles. It is simply a tool to get a job done. Believe it or not, there are even people out there that don't like to cut wood, but see it as a necessary chore. I know, it is hard to believe, but I swear I've seen it.:hmm3grin2orange:

I use my 290 for about 10 -15 cord a year and I LOVE it ! A muffler modification really wakes the saw up and is very easy to do ! there are many threads in the chainsaw forum on opening up the muffler and richening the carb !
MD

There was a fun thread recently in the chainsaw forum titled something like "The 290 - Dodge Intrepid of saws" or something. I thought Toyota Camry or Ford F-150 might have been more apt, but it was still a neat concept.

I don't own one, but aside from the aficionados, they are considered to be good reliable tools that'll do 80-90% of what the average firewooder/homeowner asks of it.

Sounds like a solid unit that'll stand the gaff. Just won't win you any bragging rights with the folks that hang out in the chainsaw forum down stairs.

Woodbooga , what happened to Hogan ? please bring him back !
MD

What kind of wood will you be cutting? As it was said earlier, hardwoods and a 20" bar will really make the saw work. I have a ms270 (similar saw, better AV) and I can bog it down very easily. Most of my firewood comes from CL scores and its often the bigger stuff I get. If I could do it over, I would have gone with a 361, if for no other reason but it takes FOREVER to cut through anything bigger than 30". If you are anything like me (and others on this site) once you use the 290 for a season, you'll be eyeing a 441....

Yeah, no braggin rights! But the 290 is a good saw.

My brother as been using one hard for the last 5 or 6 years. He likes it, just doesn't understand why my smaller and older 346xp out cuts his larger and heavier saw :D

I go with the pro saws because they are usually lighter, always more HP and better quality than the home owners. And I just plain like em better.

:cheers:

Okay, I'll bite. The MS290 is an overweight pig of a turd, boat anchor, wheel chock!!! :hmm3grin2orange:

The reason that it's Stihl's best selling saw is that uninformed consumers visit the dealer and buy the "best selling saw" because the dealer says it's the best selling saw. Talk about yer circular logic! :dizzy:

And it must be good because it says "Farm Boss" on the bar, and we all know that farmers don't waste good money on marginal equipment.

If you are cutting on a farm/ranch, use your tax exempt status and buy an MS362. Or buy a the classic 50cc & 70cc combo (Husqvarna NE346XP & 372XP) one saw at a time. Fer cryin' aut laud!
:greenchainsaw:

:agree2::agree2::agree2::agree2::agree2:

The "Farm Boss" gives us farmers a bad name.

I dont like the MS290/310/390 series at all. Heavy, bad anti vibe, a PITA to work on.

I dont know what a 290 goes for, but for about 5 bills you can get a MS260. That saw will outcut a 290 all day long.

Or look for a Dolmar 6400.

My buddy has had a 290 for a year, we did some cutting together and the saw wasn't very happy. For some reason it wasn't oiling the bar (even with a clear oil hole)and it just seemed way to lean, my 372 should cut quicker but not 3 times faster in 16" wood...
Anyways I've never regretted spending the extra cash for the 372 nine years ago, it makes cutting fun to do and it will always be worth fixing if something goes wrong. It's also probably still worth more than a new 290 even now.

And all in a much smaller/lighter package :cheers:

Forgot to add that.

I owned a MS310 for about 3 weeks (my first saw) I hated running that boat anker every minuit. The dealer gave me the sales pitch about how the 290 is the best selling saw ect.... Then he said, well for only a few more bucks you can upgrade to a bigger saw.

I ended up getting so sick of it, I tryed to sell it, then ended up talking to my dealer now, and he said, trade the thing it to me. He gave me 10% less than new and I walked out with a MS460, and I found a new dealer that day.

I would look at the MS 260, Husky 346xp, (50cc saws) or the Dolmar 6400, or the Makita 6401 (same saw, different color) the Dolmar and Kita can also be upgraded to a 80cc saw when you get the coin;)

and it only took 1 page to turn it into "get a pro saw", lol :dizzy:

if the guy is only cutting a few cords of firewood each year, and helping a friend or 2 with a tree that comes down in a storm... a 290 is fine.. i dont think the average person cares about a couple pounds and some better anti vibe when they arnt running the saw for 6+ hours a day. plus, i dont think the question would have been asked in the manner it was, had he already been considering dropping $500-600+ on a pro saw
stihl doesnt make any junk.. a 290 would last an average homeowner a long time

As the owner of an 039 (I picked it up at an estate auction for $120.00), I can say that the 029/039 series are decent saws for general all around use. I do a fair amount of cutting so I tend to keep a mix of saws on hand and try to match the saw to the task, but if you could only have one saw, the MS290 would be acceptable for most cutting.

I will echo the previous comments about it being heavy, and a little under powered, but it does pull an 18 inch bar with no problem. The biggest improvement you can do is the muffler mod. Gives it more power and a better throttle response.

You will need to decide how much you are going to be sawing, and if the extra $$$ are worth going to a "pro" series saw if you are only going to use it 5 or 10 hrs / year.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back