Injured climber rescued in CT

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hack. the stubs say so and his buckstrap does as well. he's climbing a tree not a telephone pole.

probably doing the work for short money too.

That picture doesn't even make sense....

Before I read the rest of the posts, I will tell what I see. Looks like he used the stubs to stand on and hold on. He was probably was gonna use the money to buy a set of spikes(ha), but if you look at the last cut made, looks like he was doing a removal and decided to top it at that spot. Look at the cut, looks like an upside down V, probably the butt came back on his side and nailed his shoulder,
Probably hurt like hell!
Jeff :)
Now I will read on.

Jeff, that's what I thought at first too, (that he cut the top out) but I can't see well from the angle the photo was taken..

Maybe he super glued some nails to his boots, though I don't see any gaff marks on the trunk....

side note: Took down a large beech today, had to drop part of it on a hill. Rather than risk the trunk rolling, left 2 "kick stands" on it. Worked like a charm, I guess I left a stub then.

Jeff, that's what I thought at first too, (that he cut the top out) but I can't see well from the angle the photo was taken..

Maybe he super glued some nails to his boots, though I don't see any gaff marks on the trunk....

side note: Took down a large beech today, had to drop part of it on a hill. Rather than risk the trunk rolling, left 2 "kick stands" on it. Worked like a charm, I guess I left a stub then.

To each his own, reasons for everything, makes sense. Just don't try to teach it.
Jeff :)

I'm surprised you guys haven't run across the climbers who are so manly they don't need spikes. We've actually got a forestry college here in new york that graduates tree climbing students without any knowledge of spikes. They show up to a removal planning on standing on stubs or loop runners. I'm not joking.

No rule saying you can't leave a stub if need be. I wouldn't leave them down the tree in the lowering path though. That's a rookie move. I will often leave one to rap down off of when I top a tree. But leaving stubs all the way down the spar is going to make for a long day of lowering.

I have run into a couple of climbers who like to do removals without spikes. One of them had spikes but just didn't like to wear them. Said they hurt his feet. He was a very good rope climber and did a good job while working with me so I never said anything to him about it. My guys saw him work and asked me why was he ####ing around and not strapping his spikes on. I was much faster at removals with my spikes and they could see the difference. I also contracted another climber who liked to work on a rope because he said he didn't get any "style points" for climbing on spikes. That didn't last long. You can #### around and get style points on your own jobs. If you're working on my job you better strap up and put the friggin tree on the ground.

Coming from a fire fighter, 75% of our calls are med calls somethgin like this would be a welcome reprieve from the heart attacks, smoking, other self inflicted med issues I get to go to. As a climber and not an arborist if I was up there working I would want to make sure I had a self sufficient, redundant escape method.

good learning example for us poor lay folk lurking about.

Coming from a fire fighter, 75% of our calls are med calls somethgin like this would be a welcome reprieve from the heart attacks, smoking, other self inflicted med issues I get to go to. As a climber and not an arborist if I was up there working I would want to make sure I had a self sufficient, redundant escape method.

good learning example for us poor lay folk lurking about.

Cool to hear form the other side.

Dislocated my left shoulder in a big pruning job once, no hooks of course. hurt like heck. Was able to walk down the tree with my taughtline hitch and one hand. If he had of been tied in with a taughtline or any of the more modern repelling gear, he too would have been able to walk down, Joe.

Latest posts

Back