Chain Saw Sharpener

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gpsman007

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Greetings all
I am looking for a good bench top chainsaw sharpener. . I have been looking at a <a href = "http://fleetfarm.com/catalog/product_detail/tools/power-tools/chainsaws-accessories/timber-tuff-electric-chainsaw-sharpener?utm_source=googleps&utm_medium=shopping%2Bsearch&utm_campaign=google%2Bproduct%20search">"timber tuff"<a/> What do you all recomend, thanks

Last edited:
I have a Northern Tool sharpener that I bought for $90. It is the same as one of the Oregon sharpeners, can't remember which one. Easy to set-up and use. I sharpen a lot of chains for my friends for a 6-pack per chain. I haven't bought beer for about a year.

Not to hijack the thread here, but I can't hand sharpen a chain to save my life, I swear they're duller than before I sharpened them, lol. For $90 I can get an idiot proof sharpener??? Sold.

I have a Northern Tool sharpener that I bought for $90. It is the same as one of the Oregon sharpeners, can't remember which one. Easy to set-up and use. I sharpen a lot of chains for my friends for a 6-pack per chain. I haven't bought beer for about a year.

Man ..... your making me feel like a fool. I bought one over three months ago and haven't set it up yet. I'm building my new 2x4 workbench from Northern Tool Co. this weekend so I'll have something to attach the sharpener to. Hope you don't mind if I PM you for advice. I am college educated, so I find that it has really put me at a disadvantage when I have to think.

That's the one I have, got mine at Princess Auto, Canada's answer to Harbor Freight, TSC, etc. Mine came with 3 different grind wheels, dressing stone, and chain gauge. Sharpens the chains up really well, and I have no complaints whatsoever about mine.

Greetings all
I am looking for a good bench top chainsaw sharpener. . I have been looking at a <a href = "http://fleetfarm.com/catalog/product_detail/tools/power-tools/chainsaws-accessories/timber-tuff-electric-chainsaw-sharpener?utm_source=googleps&utm_medium=shopping%2Bsearch&utm_campaign=google%2Bproduct%20search">"timber tuff"<a/> What do you all recomend, thanks

Greetings all

I just picked one up from TSC, (they price matched the fleet farm price). It appears to be identical to the harbor freight unit that has been discussed over on the chainsaw forum (lots of posts in that thread). Mine needed a bit of casting clean up to acheive the 10 deg angle on the chain holder (a minute with the die grinder) and after about the second time turning it on the motor would just sit and humm. I need to give the wheel a spin and it takes off in what ever direction I spin the wheel. This might be an advantage... don't have to install a reversing switch. Other than that it seems to work as advertised. It sure straightened out some chains I've hand filed quite a bit and showed me how off I was getting some of my angles...

I have a Oregon 108181. I bought it at Northern Tool for about 175.00 if I remember right. No prior experience with anything but a file as far as sharpening. Setup and first time use was very easy. I can sharpen a chain in about 5 minutes or so and they cut evenly the first time. When I file one if it was very dull I'd usually have to touch it up a little on the right side to get it to cut straight. Towards the end of the cutting season I'd get a lot better but then have to relearn it next season.
They are made to be bench mounted. I just clamp mine in a vise. I used bolts that stick through the sharpener base about an inch and double nutted them. I use those to clamp in the vise.

Latest posts

Back