Started the OWB today

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Medman

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Well it is finally cool enough to fire up the owb. I have a 10 or so year old woodmaster 4400. I put in a bigger pump today so I can add a baseboard heater in the breeze way. Everything was ready to go. I turned on the new pump and topped off the water. Took off the back panel and saw water dripping from the bottom of the stove my heart sunk "damn a leak". I then investagated it was a valve that was leaking Right through the brass. I couldn't beleave it. Ran to Ace and got a new valve drained some of the water untill i could remove the valve. Changed the valve and tightened everything up. filled the water up again and started the pump. No leak. Life is good. Stove is heating the water and again life is good. Supper time and the stove shut down so I should now have heat? right but no heat. Turns out I had more air in the system than I had thought. purged the air and there is heat.
Ready for the winter now.:chainsawguy:

Gotta love it! I fired ours up yesterday, the wife immediately cranked the T-stat up to 72:angry: Damn thats to hot for me!!

I just refired mine today as well. I had it going a couple weeks ago when the temps didn't get much above 60 but it looks like this will be the beginning of the long haul!

Fired mine up a month ago. Gotta love the free hot water! I use very little wood right now. I keep a small fire in the front and water temp set at 165F:blob2:

Yes the heat is totally differant than the fuel oil furnace. I keep mine at 160 untill the temp drops to zero or below then crank it up to 170-180. Its amazing how many people fired up earily this year.:chainsawguy:

It's 40F here right now, we will be in the 30s tonight. Still love the OWB lifestyle! Free heat and hot water, best of all no Arabs profiting from keeping my family warm.

summer bypass

Has anyone put in a summer bypass air to air heat exchanger so they can heat water in the summer. If so do you have pictures?

all you need to do is put a valve on the input and output of the hx then run a bypass infront of the valves. you will also need a valve in the bypass. It makes an H. I can get you a pic if you really need one.

Latest posts

Back