THALL You Hiding From Me

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The 357xp replacement is right around the corner, and will be the first "second-generation" strato saw, where the weight penalty goes away, and more - it has been posted a lot about, so it is hard to understand how you could miss the news! :hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

So your telling me while Stihl is filling the piggy bank selling their strato's Husky is spending money trying to catch up, ok, I'm with ya now,:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

Remember old timer, do it right the first time you won't have to do it over again, re-designing saws over again costs a awful lot of money, well in the millions..

Speaking of behind, the 361 replacement, the 362, has been on the market for sometime now and doing great. Where is the 357 replacement?? The 261 has been in other markets for a year now, soon to hit the US market, where is the Husky counterpart?? Who's behind again,hehe

Any idea on what the cost of the re-design of the 361 cost?

Well, the Stihls are appearing more and more piggy and fat-azz! :cheers:

They also appear to be moving off the shelves, not waiting around for johnny come lately to get their product on the market..

Tomorrow I shall ring up the Husky site and see their results for the year so far, yes they post the numbers tomorrow. Wanna bet who has the fatter increase in sales this year?, didn't think so,:):):):)

LOL - the 362 is a much heavier and bulkier design, not a redesign of the 361 - about the same is the case with the 441 and the 261, except the models they replace wasn't as good as the 361! :mad:

Glad to have ya back Book! As you can see, Troll is packed full of crap as always.:cheers:

Any idea on what the cost of the re-design of the 361 cost?

361 wasn't re-designed, it was dropped thanks to EPA and a completely new designed saw took its place. Though my friend Sawtroll points out correctly the increase in weight with the 362, what he doesn't say is the 362 beats the 361 in every other aspect and the list of plus's is quite long..

I don't know what it cost to design a new chainsaw. However when they came out with the new concrete saws, take the TS700, it cost over 20 million bucks before the first one was ever sold..

361 wasn't re-designed, it was dropped thanks to EPA and a completely new designed saw took its place. Though my friend Sawtroll points out correctly the increase in weight with the 362, what he doesn't say is the 362 beats the 361 in every other aspect and the list of plus's is quite long....

If it beats anything, it is only the demoted US version of the 361 - not the original German one! :greenchainsaw:

You knew this post would come as a result of yours, so why do it? :laugh::laugh:

Last edited:
If it beats anything, it is only the demoted US version of the 361 - not the original German one! :greenchainsaw:

You knew this post would come as a result of yours, so why do it - LOL?

Why do it, cause it fun,LOLOLOL

You better hope I see good numbers tomorrow, I already know Stihl's numbers for the year so far and buddy they are GOOD!!! If Husky's is better I'll go sit in the corner, if they aren't I will set you in the corner, may wanna bring your own chair and cushion,:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

361 wasn't re-designed, it was dropped thanks to EPA and a completely new designed saw took its place. Though my friend Sawtroll points out correctly the increase in weight with the 362, what he doesn't say is the 362 beats the 361 in every other aspect and the list of plus's is quite long..

I don't know what it cost to design a new chainsaw. However when they came out with the new concrete saws, take the TS700, it cost over 20 million bucks before the first one was ever sold..

Funny you mention the EPA. The sales folk and floorwalkers at the local OPE shop that sells and services Stihl makes EPA compliance a selling point. Guess you gotta play the hand that's dealt to you. lol

My initial question was kind of glib. Gonna be awhile before Stihl breaks even on the new models. But that's I guess just part of the manufacturing game. Trying to find the sweet spot between "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" and being on the bleeding edge of innovation.

Since we're discussing a German firm, it puts me in mind of a little history. While the Germans in WWII kept improving their fighter plane designs - and had to re-tool their plants accordingly, the Brits just kept pumping out Spitfires and Hurricanes at a rate that allowed them to survive for as long as they did.

American companies did the same after Pearl Harbor. Germans kept fussing with their armor designs, while we kept with the M4's and overwhelmed the Axis with the sheer scale of our production. Wasn't until early 45 that the first Pershings hit the Continent.

Don't know if Stihl is guilty of this, but the Germans seem to be too smart for their own good sometimes.

Why do it, cause it fun,LOLOLOL

Yes, I know that - and it is fun! :cheers:

Your "problem" is that you invite me to post what it really is about, while you are having fun - that is my fun! :laugh::laugh:

Btw, both the good Stihl dealers that used to be around here are gone by now - one is totally gone, and the other has been finding better things to do, like selling Huskys!

Last edited:
Funny you mention the EPA. The sales folk and floorwalkers at the local OPE shop that sells and services Stihl makes EPA compliance a selling point. Guess you gotta play the hand that's dealt to you. lol

My initial question was kind of glib. Gonna be awhile before Stihl breaks even on the new models. But that's I guess just part of the manufacturing game. Trying to find the sweet spot between "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" and being on the bleeding edge of innovation.

Since we're discussing a German firm, it puts me in mind of a little history. While the Germans in WWII kept improving their fighter plane designs - and had to re-tool their plants accordingly, the Brits just kept pumping out Spitfires and Hurricanes at a rate that allowed them to survive for as long as they did.

American companies did the same after Pearl Harbor. Germans kept fussing with their armor designs, while we kept with the M4's and overwhelmed the Axis with the sheer scale of our production. Wasn't until early 45 that the first Pershings hit the Continent.

Don't know if Stihl is guilty of this, but the Germans seem to be too smart for their own good sometimes.

Well WWII is a major part of the Stihl the man and company story. In fact WWII shows how determined Stihl himself was. Stihl the company then was completely bombed out. He was down to nothing. Not to be deterred he came back, rebuilt and went on to be the worlds top chainsaw designer, maker and finally seller by 1971. Quite a feat for a company blown to hell some 30 yrs earlier, especailly a company runned and owned by one man and then family..

Yes, I know that - and it is fun! :cheers:

Your "problem" is that you invite me to post what it really is about, while you are having fun - that is my fun! :laugh::laugh:

Btw, both the good Stihl dealers that used to be around here is gone by now - one is totally gone, and the other has been finding better things to do, like selling Huskys!

You mean Husky picked up two dealers, cool beans. Now they need to pick up another 17,000 dealers to catch Stihl, yes those are facts, wow now thats a real happening tant it,LOL

You know me well ole chap but lest not forget I know you well too. Your a salesman for all orange and I'm a salesman for orange and white. Tomorrow we shall see who is winning, to date I've never lost, maybe tomorrow you will get your first win, don't count it though, bring your chair just in case,:greenchainsaw::greenchainsaw:

Well WWII is a major part of the Stihl the man and company story. In fact WWII shows how determined Stihl himself was. Stihl the company then was completely bombed out. He was down to nothing. Not to be deterred he came back, rebuilt and went on to be the worlds top chainsaw designer, maker and finally seller by 1971. Quite a feat for a company blown to hell some 30 yrs earlier, especailly a company runned and owned by one man and then family..

They got something like 7 plants over there. Any of them dating to the immediate post-war period?

Is there some sort of published company history available? I'd be interested in something with some depth - not just a couple grafs.

I'd be especially interested in Andreas's efforts during the war itself. My source collection/library's pretty thin there. I've seen some German troops operating (IIRC) a 2 man saw. Think it was a Dolmar. From the looks of it, it appeared MUCH heavier than the 362.

They got something like 7 plants over there. Any of them dating to the immediate post-war period?

Is there some sort of published company history available? I'd be interested in something with some depth - not just a couple grafs.

I'd be especially interested in Andreas's efforts during the war itself. My source collection/library's pretty thin there. I've seen some German troops operating (IIRC) a 2 man saw. Think it was a Dolmar. From the looks of it, it appeared MUCH heavier than the 362.

A few years a ago a book was published about Stihl. Its really one helluva story. Its amazing what Stihl himself and the company went through to become what it is today. If you go to any Stihl dealer ask them about the book. They may not have but can get it for you. There is a member on here , goes by the name Just Mow, he has several copies of that book..

Speaking of factories, oh I'm so glad you asked. I've not seen them with my own eyes but those that have tell me some of the old German factories still in use are outdated, way outdate compared to the most modern factory they have, that be their biggest and best, the one in the USA at Virginia Beach, Virginia. (Sawtroll shall comment soon,LOL)

The Hurricanes soon were outdated, and played a major role only in the Battle of Britain, in 1940. The Germans made a lot more ME109s and FW190s than the combined Spit and Hurricane production overall, but then they had to face a lot of other US and Soviet models as well, that were made in huge numbers.

Another over-simplified story, but surely there are some truth in it!

Actually, it was the total air superiority of the Western allies that broke down the German armor, not the allied tanks, that were much inferior to the better German ones!
The planes that mainly did that job were none of those mentioned above, but late versions of the Spitfire were involved in cutting supplies etc. Most of the job was carried out by Hawker Typhoon and Tempests + the P-47 Thunderbolt of course + a lot of bombers of varying brand and size - mostly US ones.

I just happened to study that part of history very closely lately.

Last edited:
It's what Tommy knows most about...

(Wassup BookerDOG!!)

Well kiss my hiny, how da hell are ya Woody, long time no see, hope your doing good.

Now what do you want you low life, good for nothing J-red man. I heard the wind blowing hard outside my window, didn't know it would blow your sorry butt in here, dayumm weather,grrrrr

Just like old times huh, hit me Woody, go ahead punk, make my day,LOLOL

Back