Piped Stihl 028 AV...!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grqnbech

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi... This is my first post and my first time modding a chainsaw....

I took a pipe from a small dirt bike and twisted it a bit so it would fit. I have also put a carburetor from a husky 372 XPG on it. and it´s ported...
I have not mounted the air filter and the plastic cover but I will post more pictures when it´s done...

tell me what you think... I hope you like it :greenchainsaw:

sorry for my English. I´m from Denmark

Did the pipe make a difference? How much?

about all that will change is the sound. and most likely a pretty good power loss over the stock muffler. the pipe needs to be properly designed to let the engine make it's power. you cant just cut up a mini-bike pipe and throw it on to make power. i'm not saying it won't work, but..... there are many other variables that need to be taken into account. lots of threads around here discussing this, and why these pipes don't work.

looks stupid and awkward, going to burn your arm on it.
waste of a good saw.....

looks stupid and awkward, going to burn your arm on it.
waste of a good saw.....

now don't go and blow the wind out of his sails:) we all started out doing things a little backwards and/or wrong. he just needs to do a little more research and learn from some of the good muffler and pipe threads here.
i would like to see his 'porting'. a few numbers would be nice as well, maybe a vid of it running that mini-pipe:) you never know, we might be suprised, or maybe not....:dizzy:

about all that will change is the sound. and most likely a pretty good power loss over the stock muffler. the pipe needs to be properly designed to let the engine make it's power. you cant just cut up a mini-bike pipe and throw it on to make power. i'm not saying it won't work, but..... there are many other variables that need to be taken into account. lots of threads around here discussing this, and why these pipes don't work.

Yes, I build pipes, that's why I asked the question. My assumption is the same as yours.

Although the adaptation will not get the gains desired, he is trying. He has 1 post here and I think he should be welcomed for trying No one I have ever known that was worth knowing was born a success. You have to start somewhere and he is starting.

And to add how exactly is that a waste of a good saw?? I am lost at that. Idid not see a ruined saw yet

Bill

Last edited:

I'm not sure I agree with that.
I heard a pretty darn good saw builder say once that for an exhaust..."Anything beats a square box" and I have found it to be true.
The "Pipe" he was referring to was two spray paint cans with the bottoms cut out, welded together bottom to bottom with the wrench end of a scrench for a stinger.
The saw it was on was a screamer and placed second in a large and VERY competetive class!!!

Mike

I'm not sure I agree with that.
I heard a pretty darn good saw builder say once that for an exhaust..."Anything beats a square box" and I have found it to be true.
The "Pipe" he was referring to was two spray paint cans with the bottoms cut out, welded together bottom to bottom with the wrench end of a scrench for a stinger.
The saw it was on was a screamer and placed second in a large and VERY competetive class!!!

Mike

your friend got lucky, or he was good with numbers and got the pipe the right length/shape and with the right sized 'stinger'. there is more to it, but..... if the pipe isn't't designed properly it will make the saw weaker. plain and simple. it may pull more of the fuel charge out or not let enough exhaust out or both.
like i said, maybe the o.p. got lucky as well. but i doubt it. this has been gone through before with all the same results. fail.

grqnbech-good work, i like the way you adapted that on there. what size (cc) engine is that pipe from ?

Thank you

I wanna thank you all for all the replies....

first off all, I know evrything about how a pipe should work and that it have to fit perfect to the motor to get the best perfermance... but I dont have the tools, material or money to make souch a pipe, and I didn´t wanna use a lot of time on it since it is my first build....
So I got this pipe for free from a 50cc dirtbike, the pipe is a little bit to big for the motor but it works better with the pipe than with the standard box.

It sounds very cool and it screams at 16000rpm with the 20" bar on it... :biggrinbounce2:

And no I dont burn my hand on the pipe, I have worked with it for a whole day with out the pipe got in my way....

It has about the same power as my husky 262XPG, so it is better than the standard 028....

I will post a video later....

Thanks again for looking :D

I am a basic shade tree machanic not formally trained . can someone explain the purpose of the muffler having a large area in the middle then reducing down . doesnt seem to me to increase the flow of exhaust at all !
Thanks
Mickey

I am a basic shade tree machanic not formally trained . can someone explain the purpose of the muffler having a large area in the middle then reducing down . doesnt seem to me to increase the flow of exhaust at all !
Thanks
Mickey

The idea of a "tuned exhaust" is not nesserally to increase overall exhaust flow, but reflect back into the cylinder some of the lost charge within a certain RPM. the pipe is "tuned' to use the pressure wave to do this. By varying the lengths, diameters, and angles of the different components, a pipe designer can alter when and how long(rpm range) the charge is reflected back, thereby changing the characteristics of the power band.
CSW

To hell with hating on the guy for it this is were modding starts.

I want to see a video!!!:greenchainsaw:

Back