Re-throwing While In The Tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

showlandjr

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
So here's the deal, I have a tree that's pretty tall and in a rather awkward situation so it will be hard for me to throw the line all the way to the top the first throw. There luckily is a good crotch about half way up which I can throw into and then I was thinking I could just throw one more time when I get up to that height.

I am sure that ant least one person will say "get a bigshot" but I am trying not to spend too much more money considering that I only do this really part time. also I would like to get good at throwing just because I think it would be cool. but that's just a side note because it is more important to me to do the job efficiently for the costumer.

The question is really quite simple actually. I am just looking for tips on how to do re-throws. I'm not sure what could be said information wise but if anyone has something to say on the topic I would love to hear it.

-Shelby

When at the first tie in point (TIP), secure off with your lanyard, tie a monkeys fist (or other throwing knot) in the tail of your climbing line, and advance it to your next TIP. You might need to use your pole pruner/saw to snag the line and bring it back down to you. Reattach to your saddle, tie your climbing hitch and off ya go. Or you can take another throw ball and a shorter throwline to reach another TIP.

OR you can by a Big Shot;)

I was thinking that it might be the easiest to bring up a secondary throwline and weight, I seams to me that that would be the easiest to have be retrievable.

Always a lot of talk about going up with a throwline but I never have nor have I seen anybody really do it on a regular basis.
Once you get a line set its more common to advance you TIP as you go.

I was thinking that it might be the easiest to bring up a secondary throwline and weight, I seams to me that that would be the easiest to have be retrievable.

Since you don't own a big shot there's nothing wrong with what you've asked about. Bringing a throwline and bag into a tree doesn't make you a dork or a greenhorn, just different. You can make a monkey fist and move the climbing line but there's a difference between tossing a climbing line and a big knot versus a throw line and bag. For pruning or recreational climbing it's done every now and then when you need to advance the line or have a second TIP with another line.

I take a throw bag in the tree with me, attach it to the end of my climbline and give it a huff if I need to advance further. You can get a good 15-20 feet with that method no problem completely avoiding the hassle of bringing the throwline and bag or poles with you.

I use the closed monkey fist when I have to advance my TIP in the tree. Carrying a pole saw in the tree is such a pain.

Break out a bigshot on a takedown, and you either a straight up dork, or a greenhorn.. just sayin.

or maybe you just wanna make a staight run to the top while on belay cause maybe there is a crapload of ivy all over the trunk and you just wanna get through it quick.
Not every tree but often I shoot a top rope like that.

Like he said... straight up dork! :cheers:

O'TAY, but I swear nothing is more painful than watching a guy unclip and re-clip his was to the top, well, one thing is more painful than that- doing it yourself. No I often set a top rope and have the groundies belay me. Dorky? No. Prima- Donna? Sure, that' me.

Prima- Donna? Sure, that' me.

Hey ya take help where ya can get it. :jester:

Depends on the branchiness whether to push the pole up or fling. I usually monkeyfist the snap end and fling that, but the pole is easy enough to keep around too. Always good to have a choice. :)

I advance the rope all the time with a throwline I carry in a pouch on my harness. Pull as much line out as you need to make the throw, find a clear path to let it hang below you. I use a 6 or 8oz bag for in-tree throws, flip the bag behind you and upward, you can reach branches you can't reach with an in-tree monkey fist. For example I've used the technique in giant sequoia and other big conifers where monkey fist didn't cut it, vertical spaces between limbs just too far or position/obstacles in the tree doesn't allow you to swing the fist. You can make a baseball throw with the throwbag for shorter distance. You can also use a throwline to set a traverse from one tree to another. To pick up the line fast after the throw I flake a bundle into my hand then stuff into the the pouch, repeat until all the line is put away. Some climbers like an automatic fly reel for in-tree throwlines, I don't but everyone has their ways and preferences.
-Andrew

Honestly, I use mason line for my throwline, cuz it's pink, CHEAP, and breakable. And a cheap $20 slingshot with a fishing weight. The whole system is real cheap, quick, and I can accurately hit like 60-70 feet no problem. My rope is only 120, so 60 is plenty for me. In the tree, i can bring the slingshot up with me as it folds, and attaches real nice.

Jeff

I definitely carry a throwbag on my belt at all times. I also have a throw line pouch for use in the tree if need be. It's just debatable whether to go through the trouble to use the throw line or just attach the throw weight to my climbing line and go for a closer branch. Of course I can be more accurate with the light line then the climbing line. But once I hit my target with my climb line I just need to get it to me then re attach. I always love to hit my final tip from the ground but rarely do.

"I definitely carry a throwbag on my belt at all times....just attach the throw weight to my climbing line and go for a closer branch."

:agree2: :cheers:

" Of course I can be more accurate with the light line then the climbing line."

:confused: at distance maybe, but climbing line can be very accurate, the lighter the better. Many trees I keep 100' of black widow, the spectra 1/4" bull rope, in my pocket for flinging to a higher tip. This also works for setting lines way beyond reach but not beyond use.

"But once I hit my target with my climb line I just need to get it to me then re attach. I always love to hit my final tip from the ground but rarely do."

same here, because generally the higher the better--when in doubt, get on up there to the best seat in the house.. :clap:

advance rope

Practice the throw line in the tree. If it works for you great. Or use a hook pole (minus the saw part). Set lines. Bring rope back to ya from the gin pulley 10-15ft away. Long arms in the tree!

Latest posts

Back