Re-throwing While In The Tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
when we were kids we use to make bows out of willows (sometimes when we had the chance we used yew wich is the best and due to toxicity lasts longer) and arrows out of reeds. attached a nail to make the tip heavier and use a fishing line to get to the top. the rest is textbook.
the thing is that the bow costs zero money, the string you can find it on the floor sometimes and the fishing line is there all the time. :)
those bows really go long way. the trick was to prevent the line from knot curling.
cheers.

Most of the time I use a polesaw and 2,3 or 4 sections to advance. If its close I use my split tail and move up 5-10 feet at a time.... good luck

Mike

I'm with mike on this one.. call me old school.

I use throw lines too, but have been moving ropes around with pole in tree (with the blade on and without cutting my ropes) for many, many years now. You get good at it.

I use most of the techniques being discussed. Another I use is to set two or more ropes before going up and then switching over. This can be quite useful if the tree has a large spreading crown. Sometimes I will access the tree from a lower advantageous tie in point.......and already have set the throw line from the ground at a higher point in the tree and then use it to reset my single climbing rope. Often I also pre set lowering ropes at advantageous points.

Visualizing working the whole tree while standing on the ground before going airborne. Plans change as new insights are gained at height but on ground planning is paramount.

Split tail climbing systems offer many advantages.

I often caught hell for that kind of stuff but learned to ignore it. Its actually quite a nice climb with top ropes set huh? Yup, painful to watch a "clamber-er"

Does anyone ever use any tricks for retrieving the throw line besides a pole while in the tree, like when instaling a friction saver from the ground
Thanks
Mike

Does anyone ever use any tricks for retrieving the throw line besides a pole while in the tree, like when instaling a friction saver from the ground
Thanks
Mike

Do you mean a throw line that's out of reach while aloft? You could use one of these:

rop907-500.gif

I meant if you didn't have that, What other ingenious ways are there. Ive just started climbing and came across that situation.
i was thinking along the lines of sending a second line along with the throw bag to use for retreving after it goes over the limb.
But Havent got the solution yet. Any ideas?

I have a HipIt bag on my saddle with about 100 feet of throwline and an 8 ounce bag. It takes a little practice throwing in trees but it is an awesome skill to have. Nothing like setting lines in other trees,etc.

Adkpk, no, I never tried climbing on spectra; would not hold a knot well. It is very handy for lowering, pulling etc. its also called black widow.

Dan TreeCo sets extra lines fast cuz he is an exceelent flinger. :clap:

mjkent not sure what you are asking.

Ya forget i said anything I was just thinking outloud. I guess the only way to fight gravity is with one of those telescoping poles, theres another $50.00
and another thing to carry But seams like a must have if rethrowing in the tree. do most guys have one?
- Mike

Ya forget i said anything I was just thinking outloud. I guess the only way to fight gravity is with one of those telescoping poles, theres another $50.00
and another thing to carry But seams like a must have if rethrowing in the tree. do most guys have one?
- Mike

I don't think many climbers actually carry those telescoping thingamajigs, I don't like them myself. Most situations you can get the bag to swing back to you. I carry a mini grapple to swing out on a separate short throwline to snag the bag further way. For super long horizontal movements (tree-to tree) I do this (using a mini grapple and a slingshot):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63_nLZchBpo

-Andrew

that though looks like fun, it also looks like a lot of work and lots of trial and error.pretty cool though....

I don't think many climbers actually carry those telescoping thingamajigs, I don't like them myself. Most situations you can get the bag to swing back to you. I carry a mini grapple to swing out on a separate short throwline to snag the bag further way. For super long horizontal movements (tree-to tree) I do this (using a mini grapple and a slingshot):

-Andrew

Very cool way to set a traverse! Bravo!

I climbed mature oaks yesterday to deadwood them and used one of those telescoping things for the first time. I employed it about 6 times on a 4.5 hour climb. I have to admit, it was pretty dang handy. I could easily see how it could be a drag in other more crowded tress however.

I take a throw bag in the tree with me, attach it to the end of my climbline and give it a huff if I need to advance further. You can get a good 15-20 feet with that method no problem completely avoiding the hassle of bringing the throwline and bag or poles with you.

Brilliant! So simple yet I have never done that.. It is debatable, but I think a throw-bag is a little less prone to snagging when compared to a monkeys fist. Now I know what to do with that extra weight I have lying in my trunk!

I carry a fly reel loaded with throwline with 10 oz throw weight with me at all times, and I use it quite often.

Sounds cool, i'd like to see this!

Last edited:
that though looks like fun, it also looks like a lot of work and lots of trial and error.pretty cool though....

Sometimes it goes quick, sometimes not, depends what kind of obstacles are between you and the next tree and how far you're trying to go. In a woods/tall trees climbing situation it's usually much faster than setting a new line from the ground in a second tree.

In hardwoods a tree-to-tree traverse can be set fast, conifers can be more challenging depending on structure of the target tree.
-Andrew

Last edited:
.. It is debatable, but I think a throw-bag is a little less prone to snagging when compared to a monkeys fist. Now I know what to do with that extra weight I have lying in my trunk!

If you tie your monkey fist so it falls apart after it goes over the branch you'll never hang it.

I look at advancing in the tree as an escalation list from most simple to more involved:

1. Lanyard in (if around spar you can slide it up as you move up) and scramble up enough to flip the end of my main rope over the next limb. (handles a large percentage of advancement moves)

2. Monkeyfist (next highest percentage move)

3. Throwbag (monkeyfist won't reach or is inconvenient to throw in the situation)

-Andrew

-Andrew

Andrew
that is what i was looking for. Thanks,
That foot sling shot is cool too, is that home made

Break out a bigshot on a takedown, and you either a straight up dork, or a greenhorn.. just sayin.

I guess I'm a greenhorn then because I find my Bigshot to be very helpful on some takedowns. If there are leaders that can be snatched out I'll go ahead and shoot a rope across it towards the end, tie a running bowline and have ready to be pulled when I get to it on the trunk. I have had as many as 4 ropes pre-set when I get to the job with my groundman (or men.) Also like to have a top rope already set to help me up the tree. Not going to help you on every tree, of course. Not always room to snatch out forks but when there is this really helps me cut down on labor costs. Whats so dorkish about setting a top rope before you go up a tree?

Back