The MS261 is here!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is for pollution control. Basically it splits air fuel mixture and air mixture to different ports for scavenging leading to a cleaner running engine.
I still prefer the non-strato engines, but this is the wave of the future due to mandates by the EPA

So, in other words, IT MUST COME OUT? :D

get that smirk off yer face :)

No smirk.
There's gotta be more in that saw.

Figuring it out now will pay off later when everything is Strato.

I'm just hoping Brad didn't inadvertantly go to far somewhere and upset some sorta flow balance voodoo.

On the bright side, the thing IS getting lighter with all the grinding going on.;)

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

No smirk.
There's gotta be more in that saw.

Figuring it out now will pay off later when everything is Strato.

I'm just hoping Brad didn't inadvertantly go to far somewhere and upset some sorta flow balance voodoo.

On the bright side, the thing IS getting lighter with all the grinding going on.;)

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Don't feed the yotes. They run in packs, and once they sense blood they don't listen to reason. Well, as if they ever did. Stupid Lions fans. :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

Hey erick get any bird hunting in this year yet? The chukar pop is up in oregon again. Good bird numbers. Its been great

No hunting so far this year book, heck I barely have time to get on here and make nice with you kiddies. :(

Heck I'm at work now typing on the phone. :laugh:

Not looking good for the home team. :biggrinbounce2:

I hate to see it go out like that too. Hopefully B-dawg will get it all figured out. The split intake boggles me, though thats easy to do. Don't take much to get my mind boggled.;)

There must be a trick to it somewhere. I'm glad it's not up to me to figure it out. The Stihlheads will have to punt for now. Husky heads first and 10 at the 33yd line! :laugh:

Not looking good for the home team. :biggrinbounce2:

I hate to see it go out like that too. Hopefully B-dawg will get it all figured out. The split intake boggles me, though thats easy to do. Don't take much to get my mind boggled.;)

There must be a trick to it somewhere. I'm glad it's not up to me to figure it out. The Stihlheads will have to punt for now. Husky heads first and 10 at the 33yd line! :laugh:

Chill, A.V. Brad just needs to swallow another smart pill. Film at 11! :D :D :D

Doesnt the partition in the intake, actually only allow half of the carb venturi diameter to gather air/fuel mix, and the other half only air? If I had to guess, and its only a guess, there is your bottleneck....:popcorn:

:agree2:

That makes sense, unlike most of the chatter here yesterday. You don't have to finish tonight, Brad. :)

Well, it is what it is. The last thing I tried was pulling this little divider out of the nose of the carb. There is no divider in the carb venturi.

1084343362_fvqRk-M.jpg

Unfortunately, it actually slowed the saw down. The idea was to get a little fuel into the strato ports.

NOW........................before all the Husky heads go and claim victory, we're still waiting on the stock and muffler modded 346 times. I think this 261 will beat it there. And I think that's what most actually care about. I'm hoping the 346 shows up tomorrow.

In the mean time, here's the best times with the ported 261. It's no slouch.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/28mfeVlj_og?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/28mfeVlj_og?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Doesnt the partition in the intake, actually only allow half of the carb venturi diameter to gather air/fuel mix, and the other half only air? If I had to guess, and its only a guess, there is your bottleneck....:popcorn:

Basically yes, but not a 100% separation as brad has mentioned. A different manufacturer draws their air from a different location that has no possibility of fuel being in it. I think Stihls idea is actually better and simpler (KISS) less parts to fail/break, but I have been known to be wrong.............

So after the saw was ported, it only gained 4.5%????

That's right. And it lost some of that with the divider removed from the nose of the carb. Basically, it's turning no more RPMs than when stock. It has simply gained more torque, but most of that came from the muffler mod.

My biggest concerns are with the transfer ducts. They are tiny! I don't have the tools to open them up. I'm really not interested in going there anyway.

Back