The competition...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Firewood - $100 (xxx & surround)

I have several cords left of firewood ready for the winter season! All split and cut at 16". Species is a blend of pine, spruce, and poplar. Will heat a home fairly well and is affordable for all! Don't pass up this opportunity before it is all gone! The cold snaps are coming! Delivery to xxx area is $50, xxx area is $30 and xxx area is $15. Multiple cord purchase discount available! Senior citizens and military active and vets get discount as well. If you buy 1 cord or less, stacking is free!

Call me anytime for an appointment! Next day delivery is usually available!

Not too bad. Why such a huge discount for the different areas though? Or, I see, those are your delivery fees? Ouch!

Ya might want to cut back a bit on the exclamation points also, kinda makes ya sound like a used car salesman ( plus, they can smell fear.... ). Maybe put a space or two between your lines to make it easier to read, those seniors you're targeting will appreciate it. I'm trying not to seem like a grammar nazi, but people do stop reading it if it's a pain.

Last edited:
Look it it this way --if they all are under cutting each other
no one will make any money !!!!
And there will be lots of cheap saws and spliters on sale in 3-6 months when they discover that its alot of work and no money

Look it it this way --if they all are under cutting each other
no one will make any money !!!!
And there will be lots of cheap saws and spliters on sale in 3-6 months when they discover that its alot of work and no money

Talked to the guy at my local TSC, they have been selling at least 6 gas powered splitters every week for two months now. That is a #### load of splitters. Maybe I can pick up a secondary splitter in March real cheap? Bet a lot of green wood being burned this year.

Not too bad. Why such a huge discount for the different areas though? Or, I see, those are your delivery fees? Ouch!

Ya might want to cut back a bit on the exclamation points also, kinda makes ya sound like a used car salesman ( plus, they can smell fear.... ). Maybe put a space or two between your lines to make it easier to read, those seniors you're targeting will appreciate it. I'm trying not to seem like a grammar nazi, but people do stop reading it if it's a pain.

Delivery fee is fair, IMO. The furthest area of $50 is about 80 miles away one way. That area, wood goes for $200 all day long... Thanks for the input on the ad. Although, I cannot add any spaces to the ad as CL does not seem to allow it. I have tried to break the ad into small paragraphs before.

For once it is cheaper to buy small quantities.... a local craigs list add below.

Mixed Cherry, Maple & Oak
Cord Delivered $160.00, You pickup $140.00
Face Cord Delivered $45.00, You pickup $35.00
Will also cut to your spec's for out door wood burners
Delivery is within the XXXXXXXX area unless agreed upon other
Call XXX-XXX-XXX ask for XXXXX

For once it is cheaper to buy small quantities.... a local craigs list add below.

Mixed Cherry, Maple & Oak
Cord Delivered $160.00, You pickup $140.00
Face Cord Delivered $45.00, You pickup $35.00
Will also cut to your spec's for out door wood burners
Delivery is within the XXXXXXXX area unless agreed upon other
Call XXX-XXX-XXX ask for XXXXX

Have a feeling the buyer would not be getting what we think of as a face cord.:jester:

Delivery fee is fair, IMO. The furthest area of $50 is about 80 miles away one way. That area, wood goes for $200 all day long... Thanks for the input on the ad. Although, I cannot add any spaces to the ad as CL does not seem to allow it. I have tried to break the ad into small paragraphs before.

I see. Those aren't just deliveries, they're road trips! And I thought my 40 mi. one-way a few days ago was stretching it....

Busting your paragraph into separate lines was what I meant by 'spaces', so you are on the right track there.

Code:
type in a < br> (remove space next to the <) to add a line break so inatead of 

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX xXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXx XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

it is XXXXXXXXXXX

XXXXXXXXXXX

XXXXXXXXXXX

XXXXXXXXXX

Haha, yea, a roadtrip is pretty accurate! I had a call from a lady this morning. She wanted 3 cords of wood in the $50 delivery area. I do not think she will be calling me back. I can only deliver 1 cord at a time. :(

It would have been a good chunk of change in the pocket...

One other thing too, guys. I need some input on this one:

1117001124.jpg

1117001125a.jpg

I have no tarps large enough to cover this pile of wood up with. I had to let it sit like this. It has been exposed to the weather. Last night it snowed on us. But as you can see it is melting off. If a customer puts this wood in say, their garage, how long would you say it would take for it to dry out enough to burn? It is a seasoned pile, but this rain and snow sure makes it feel like it isn't! I wont sell to my customers if this is a horribly bad idea. I have a delivery to make on Friday for a lady, and I have to pull from this pile. If this is a bad idea I will tell her to go find another person.

1117001125.jpg

Here is a cord of 75% paper birch and 25% white fir.
1114001511.jpg

Truck all loaded up to make a delivery to a repeat customer. And the handy dandy splitter ready to be put to work for other wood.

not sure about shipping out wet wood, but do know one thing, it wouldn't take but 10 minutes to get a ticket around here with that load on.:lifter:

not sure about shipping out wet wood, but do know one thing, it wouldn't take but 10 minutes to get a ticket around here with that load on.:lifter:

Ah cmon, you can git more on there than that.... she ain't even squatted...much.

The problem with your big cone-shaped piles is that the stuff on the bottom is getting no air whatsoever. In my area you would have tons of mold on the wood in almost no time, which looks bad no matter if the wood dries back out or not. People also don't like the smell/allergies from mold and mildewed wood. I know it's drier out your way, but it's still not a good idea. You need to at least get something over it, but stacking it is way better.

Ya might also want to think about investing in a trailer, so you can haul a bigger load. You've already saw how it cost you a sale. I know how it feels, I can only do 1/2 cords at one time, but my delivery area is much smaller.

And perhaps some steel rails? wouldn't take much sway to bust the ones you have.

Last edited:
Ive hauled 9 cords so far, and some of them were 80 mile drives one way. Haven't had a single eye bat at me from the copper tops.

For a while now I was thinking that I was not delivering full cords. But as I measure out, it comes to 130 cubic feet. I stack very tight and get every space I can filled with a piece of wood. Have not had a single call back, yet. Most of the time, people will say, "Man, thats alot of wood!"

I have had the truck squatting so much that I actually broke the trailer hitch plug below the hitch. I sure hope I can just but the piece somewhere. I'm gonna cut the plate and weld it onto the side instead, so I stop messing it up.

I do admit, the wood has mold on it, and sometimes when I handle it, I get a real funny taste in the mouth that I'm not too appreciative of. The poplar really loved popping out the mushrooms on the sides. Wonder if they were edible and tasty? :laugh:

I'm gonna order a huge tarp from sportsmans guide. I won't put it over this wood pile, but the wood pile I will be accumulating for next years season. The wood will be too good to let sit out in the exposed elements. Keeping any mold rotting to a minimum. Got my pallets and everything too. I have 12 pallets right now, and I can get 6 cords. I have about 4-4 1/2 cords to go!

With the way my job history has been, its either I did not have time or was working. So in between I would split wood. Should have stacked as I went... I guess I shall live and learn. Stacking it now would be a waste of time.

The father in-law has a trailer with an enclosure on it. I will be tearing it down to make a deck trailer once we get all the stuff out of it and put into a storage unit.

The wood rack is actually my first time building one. I figured if I built one out of steel it would have been way too heavy and expensive. Once I get done hauling my wood this year it may get sent to the fire and I will build a new one that is more heavy duty.

Wood that has been cured is dried at the intracellular level wet wood is not the same as green wood. If you take wood that has been rained on and split it you will see that the interior should be dry enough to burn. If it is green that would not be the case. Wood that is saturated will soon go punky if not dried out. You should remind clients not to pile wood against structures as it promotes rodents ant carpenter ants. It should be piled or stacked away from buildings and covered with old metal roofing,plywood or what have you, in order to promote air circulation and prevent the greenhouse effect.

Hey guys! Today was officially my 10th cord sale! Lady ordered a cord of the mix I have. I was late delivering it for as I split if over for her again so it would increase surface area to dry out quicker. She has it in a garage and I recommended putting a heater in next to it to speed up dry time.

She is actually a transplant to Idaho and came from Seattle not too long ago. So naturally, she has never even burned wood for heat. I took the opportunity to educate her in how to use her wood stove and how to burn the wood.

She said it sounded very complicated and was quit a bit of information to take in at once. I just had to laugh at that. Told her that if she has any problems to call me and I can help her iron it all out.

Ive been thinking recently to just make a informational sheet that goes with every delivery so all of my customers will atleast be educated. That, and I then will have an excuse to deny them refunds for failure to follow the sheets guidelines.

Well, I've got 2 more cords on order, and today as I was leaving town to make a delivery, I had to wait for a train at a RR crossing. Guy one car up in front of me gets out and asks for my number for some wood! Haha, the only time a train was good for me!

:laugh: Except for the fact that the 10-12 bundles of small cedar kindling she has been burning went up like popcorn farts!

I don't think that if she tries to burn mine right away that it will go up as spectacular. :bang:

Back