creosote messing up door seal

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rodbuster22

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I built my own OWB and modeled it after the CB design. The problem is it didn't seem to take very long and the fire rope was so hard from dried creosote that is doesn't seem to seal. ex. I put a big load of wood in the other day and the temp got up to 190 F. Now, I did first fire it in April and ran it all summer for the DHW. I should also mention that it was very windy the day the temp got so high and I know that as the wind blows across the top of the flue pipe it creates a high pressure situation in the pipe and will tend to draw air through the fire box. (moving air is less dense than static air)

I am prepared to replace the fire rope, I don't mind. I was just wondering how often you all replace your fire rope. Has anyone seen any kind of baffle that would limit the creosote formation on the front of the door. I meen, it gets so bad that it leaks out and runs down the front of the boiler. Also, the wood I am burning is at least three year old hard wood 4x4's.

thanks for the input

We have a woodmaster and had the same problem when we had record winds 2-3 weeks ago.It got so high that it shut itself off (a safety measure).I set the temps lower and have not had a problem since. This will be our 4th season and have not replaced the seal yet. Did buy one to keep on hand last year just in case. The wind does seem to have an affect on making some type of draw I have noticed that before so maybe see what it does in the near future if you can be around it for a little while. Good luck. Is yours a draft or blower system?

It is obvious that the unit you built wasn't a fully Obama Approved and Certified OWB. Until you call the US Wood Burner Gestapo Inspector General and invite him (or her) out to fully document your craftsmanship and a layout of your home, problems will persist.

This is really true! My nearest neighbor about a mile down the road incurred the same problem. He called and requested the USWBGIG representative out for a visit. After taking pictures and documenting the OWB and noting the location of his gun safe along with a full contents list, he was told they would send him a certificate that absolves the OWB from any further problems in the future... for ever!!!!!

Now how is that for change???!!!!! :hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

On the serious side, my nearest neighbor has the same issue. If you get it worked out, keep us posted so we can share the fix with others.

ok here is a simple solution.

1. remove the gasket
2. where gasket was put a nice thick bead of silicone I prefer black
3. cover it with wax paper
4. shut the door but only lightly until the silicon sets up

Once it is fully cured close door as normal.

Perfect seal last long time and cheap to replace.

ok here is a simple solution.

1. remove the gasket
2. where gasket was put a nice thick bead of silicone I prefer black
3. cover it with wax paper
4. shut the door but only lightly until the silicon sets up

Once it is fully cured close door as normal.

Perfect seal last long time and cheap to replace.

+1 . :yourock:

Now that is one of the finest, unique ideas since silicone implants and flippy caps !:bowdown:
When cast iron doors and parts warp, I've used pieces of FG gasketing cemented to fill the small gaps over the regular gasket. But this is one fine suggestion.....which I will use ( with you permission of course ).

One ? : how does the silicone hold up to opening and closing, and heat ?

Fine job !!!

I used both high and regular silicone cheap expensive etc.... I personally cannot tell a difference.

You are welcome to use the idea, we have tried it on the older boiler we used to make and it works fine. I personally prefer it over a gasket but in the manufacturing business it is not very pretty which is why we do not use in production model.

But my personal one has silicone.

I actually think it last longer than a gasket and when it does fail, well it takes about 5 minutes to replace it even when the stove is hot that silicone dries pretty fast like 60 seconds.

Blaine

Last edited:
Back