Where or where to put the exchanger

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwag

Reaction score
Installing a new owb and cant figure out the best place to put my exchanger. I have a 80,000 BTU 80% downdraft propane furnace with the A/C coil below it before it runs through the floor into the ductwork. 12x20 outlet. cold air return overhead will hold 20x20. I have read that installing the heat exchanger below the furnace could heat up the electronics, also read that putting it above the blower would heat up the blower. Whats best.I can install it under the AC coil which would put it about 16 inches below the furnace.

I have a downdraft furnace and had exchanger above furnace or in the cold side for two years. Biggest problem with that is you getting the blower motor really hot and eating up bearings. I had local heating place come in and they had to take the furnace apart and I built a box for furnace to set on so exchanger was under furnace and have seen a big improvement in heat output over other set up. Also heat exchanger now is 2 inches below ac coil so had to put in valves and drains to drain coil for summer operation.

carful if below you may need a valve to bypass because the furnace may turn on if it thinks it is too hot.

I have them on both side have 4 furnaces. Can tell little difference never burned up bearings using them for 10 years.

Thanks for the input. I also ask a local friend who has been in the furnace business for years. He told me either way would work fine so he would do it the easiest. Of course maybe he plans to sell me a new furnace in a couple of years.

Back