Which smaller Husky?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

picker77

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have an 8-year old 372XP with 28" bar for larger stuff (absolutely wonderful saw), but my small saw (old Homelite 16") is on it's last legs and I need to speak to Mrs. Santa about a Christmas present. Which small Husky would make a good little brother to the 372XP for light/medium brush cleanup on a small acreage? I've seen 435's and 440's around but haven't kept up with details and model changes like the "E" series, etc. Any real preferences or things to avoid here? She'll probably buy it from a local big box store, and I'd like to stay around/under $300 or so if possible. I doubt it would exceed 30 or 40 hours a year of use, and weight is a factor since I'm getting up there in age.
Thanks!

435 is a decent little saw and will do ya fine.

But a 346xp is the very best companion to the 372xp. There's not a better combo out there!

I would also recommend a real saw shop, over a box store.

But a 346xp is the very best companion to the 372xp. There's not a better combo out there!

Ha HA, How did I know you were gonna say sumthin abou the 346.
Well, in all honesty, If you're getting up there in age & you might be usein this smaller saw more & more in the near future. I would suggest the 346xp also. Same quallity as the 372xp. But any of the small 4xx series huskys will do ya just fine.

:

:agree2:

Try to get a 445 or a 450. I see the need for smaller saws but if you're actually looking to use it you want something at least in the 40cc range putting out close to 3hp...something that will pull .325 chisel. My guess is that if you got a 435 you'd be using the 372 for anything over 4-5 inches. My ms 211 certainly cuts well, but I don't think anyone should get overly optimistic of the power from those saws. 45-50cc saws are much more versatile in my opinion and experience.

Avoid the quick adjust/toolless chain adjust features. They offer less control and its more stuff to break. Also, not sure if they are on that series of saws, but the easy start secondary spring recoil is not really necessary, especially if you dont have difficulty starting the 372.

Ha HA, How did I know you were gonna say sumthin abou the 346.
Well, in all honesty, If you're getting up there in age & you might be usein this smaller saw more & more in the near future. I would suggest the 346xp also. Same quallity as the 372xp. But any of the small 4xx series huskys will do ya just fine.

I tried to recommend a different saw,
but just couldn't come up with a better choice.lol... :pumpkin2::D:pumpkin2:

And very much agreed on the age thing.
It sucks, but I guess it's better than the alternative.

e-series

ASFAIK, that consists of spring assist starter & tool less chain tensioner.
There are still some recon 445's on E-bay for $200 delivered. They are almost
5 cc. more than 435/440. There have been favorable reviews on AS from
members that own them. They are a plastic frame saw like 435's

CGC4200 makes a good point, there are lots of husky refurbs around. If i were you i'd try to call around and see if you have a local dealer who is selling the refurbs for fair prices.

As I understand, there are LOTS of these saws returned to the box store with next to nothing wrong with them (chain on backwards, chain brake on, oil in the wrong tanks). If you buy them refurbed online it's presumably OK but there's likely to be little support; if you can get them from a dealer who has looked it over again and will offer some sort of limited warranty this is ideal.

Keep in mind that there are a significant weight difference beetween the 435/440 and the 445/450 - it is not just the engine size that is different!

Avoid e-series saws if possible.

ASFAIK, that consists of spring assist starter & tool less chain tensioner.
There are still some recon 445's on E-bay for $200 delivered. They are almost
5 cc. more than 435/440. There have been favorable reviews on AS from
members that own them. They are a plastic frame saw like 435's

I agree the 445 on ebay is a good deal! im still debating on getting one just to add to the collection. I if you can find even a good 350 that would also be a good choice alternative to the 346 as the 346 can be leaps and bounds more $$ but if ya have the extra $ and the green light from the Mrs. then go for broke!

For brushing, limbing, and more than a little cutting, I love my Husqvarna 345 (10.1 lbs - 3 hp). It is 45cc, and it cuts great and is very light weight. It was replaced by the 445, and I haven't really looked into the differences.

Yes, I would like to have a 346, (maybe later), but that 345 has been a great saw for the money.

I have bigger / faster saws, but I use the 345 more than any other saw because of its light weight.

Last edited:
Same here. I bought a new 345, three years ago and it's usually first one I grab.
It's light and handy and power-wise, I can't tell the difference between it and the 350. I think 350 is just as light. Either one of these saws would work.

Everyone has pretty much covered it. Only other recommendation I'd have is the 353. Step above the 445 and 450 w/ a mag crankcase, but not quite the famed 346XP.

Thanks, Gentlemen. I have picked one.

Handled a 435 and a 445 this morning side by side, decided to go with the 435 for its slightly leaner shape and noticeably lighter weight. For the few hours of easy use here and there it will get at my place, the 346XP would just be overkill, although it's clearly a better saw for someone who would use it a lot. If this was ten or fifteen years ago I'd jump on the 346. Don't get me wrong, I'm not carrying a walker in one hand and a chain saw in the other--but I did just turn 69 yesterday and clearing brush isn't as much fun as it used to be, although it still beats sitting in front of the idiot box.

Mrs. Santa has been duly notified, and thanks for all the kind advice. I hope you guys all have a great Christmas. Say a small prayer for our son in Kabul, Afghanistan if you think of it. He won't have much of a Christmas this year but we hope to get him back home in one piece in about six months.

435 is a light, nimble little saw

I had to turn up the mix screws on mine a little to get better power
and acceleration. I did cut down & buck a standing 1' hickory to see
if it would take it. It done OK and easier on an aging back for a limbing
saw. I have it drained & stored in case of another ice storm like 2009,
had to cut my way out of driveway with a 55, but it was a little overkill
for all the limbs in just the yard.

I had to turn up the mix screws on mine a little to get better power
and acceleration. I did cut down & buck a standing 1' hickory to see
if it would take it. It done OK and easier on an aging back for a limbing
saw. I have it drained & stored in case of another ice storm like 2009,
had to cut my way out of driveway with a 55, but it was a little overkill
for all the limbs in just the yard.

We've had several of those just about every winter the past few years here, and over the years Ma Nature has just about trimmed all the weak trees and limbs out. Since you could put what I know about 2-stroke engines in a thimble, I'll probably leave the mixture screws stock for fear of running it too lean and burning something up.

I've used my 372XP quite a lot for larger stuff up to around 30"--I don't cut firewood, just dead and downed timber and large limbs--and to me it has what is almost scary power, really a pleasure to use, fast and easy to start. Glad I splurged for it when I did several years back. But it is definitely a bit heavy for a limbing and brush saw. Looking forward to trying out this little 435.

set lean stock out of the box

This seems to be a common problem with new saws not tuned by a dealer
or someone else that knows what they are doing. Check the threads on Dolmar 5100's for example. New saws set lean seem to be routine (EPA?).
I would hate to burn up a new saw just because of lean tuning than could
be easily fixed by turning a jet screw or two, usually CCW.

Latest posts

Back