OWB - Line froze in shop Pumped boiler dry

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scag52

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Well I've been trying to get my burn time up to 24 hours and finally did it . Now i can burn the pine that is everywhere i look. I changed my pump to run on demand for my shop and it made a big difference.

Heres the bad part. My shop has two sides , One insulated and one not . They have hanging HX. in each ,running in series. I think it pulled a draft in and froze in the hx. Its mounted up in the corner only a foot away from the metal siding with no insulation. I was trying to only heat that side just above freezing and i guess i ran it too close.

Water was everywhere and it pumped my boiler dry . Pumps are at the bottom. I need some sort of float switch to cut power when water drops a foot or so . I have a 1" nipple near the top that I'm not using. Any thoughts ?

I'm already back up. No problem ,just popped off the sharkbites and connected them together, filled the boiler and started it back up . I always knew it could happen and had no back up . So now I'm going to install a electric heater or maybe propane just in case. I'm also going to finish insulating that side . Bought the stuff a year ago . I do need a cut off switch though so i wont run the stove empty.

ibrJ8xoZaoCEuUQvtR-Rw5NHBuNp9w8AGUu58m4JNdDYEH6ZO_CZtlSYFp0R2V9c7YXhnmLxqJ5j0tczeomS0XxEjUFz705o6vgxQlEtSb-LfOlPYWgITsaIkG7vzHF9wcLnq9oX0AVK62VSfDiPluEO9xHoXt0QsC9AH2c

Dayton 3BY71 Float Switch Vertical

You could run something like this if you built a little tank for it and plumbed into your 1" pipe fitting.

Thanks , Thats what i need . I hope i can find a small one . Should do the trick . Thanks

Well I've been trying to get my burn time up to 24 hours and finally did it . Now i can burn the pine that is everywhere i look. I changed my pump to run on demand for my shop and it made a big difference.

Heres the bad part. My shop has two sides , One insulated and one not . They have hanging HX. in each ,running in series. I think it pulled a draft in and froze in the hx. Its mounted up in the corner only a foot away from the metal siding with no insulation. I was trying to only heat that side just above freezing and i guess i ran it too close.

Water was everywhere and it pumped my boiler dry . Pumps are at the bottom. I need some sort of float switch to cut power when water drops a foot or so . I have a 1" nipple near the top that I'm not using. Any thoughts ?

Suprised to hear that your pumps are on the bottom. Why not mount them high. Hotter water at the top plus, if this happened again, at least it wouldn't drain the boiler.

I was going to mount them on the top . Last minute i was told it would work better from the bottom . I want to change them but will wait until winter is over. Still will add a cut off to kill power so a pump wont run and burn up.

Suprised to hear that your pumps are on the bottom. Why not mount them high. Hotter water at the top plus, if this happened again, at least it wouldn't drain the boiler.

You want to mount your pumps as low as possible. They are more efficient that way because you take advantage of the natural pressure provided by gravity.

I didn't think about gravity. Hmmmm...... Well at the bottom you have to worry about picking up any junk .I had a piece of silicone in mine already.

You want to mount your pumps as low as possible. They are more efficient that way because you take advantage of the natural pressure provided by gravity.

Yea, they would be, if you needed more pressure to maximize the pumps. Then get bigger pumps and take advantage of the hotter water at the top.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back