Makita dcs7901 or Husqvarna 576XPG advice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Opened up the end of the baffle. I've read here some poeple un-crimping the muffler. But alls I did was drill some holes and then used my large porting bits to open up the end area.

Sounds a little iffy...

You chose...........wisely.

250px-Knight.jpg

The Dolmars have massive power...but the Husky will continue to run every day for years. I wouldn't be so positive the Dolmar would..if past experience can be projected to remain true.

LOL. OTAY!

I tell you what homeslice, if one of Tom Fales Jr's favorite felling saw was a 7900, I can tell you right now a lot of people wood laugh at what you just said:hmm3grin2orange:

He's a professional logger BTW, so he was using it ever'day...

the crew i'll be working for bought 3 or 4 dolmar 7900's last year, they were awsome cutting machines IF you could keep them running. Just all kinds of problems, clutch shoes breaking, air filter clip holders breaking, one saw went threw 3 coils, av mounts were a constant problem, especially the upper mount that goes to the cylinder via a CLAMP:taped: The crew went out and bought new 460 stihls and they are still running great, Im no even a stihl guy. I dont like ragging on dolmar but that is a real life experience coming from seasoned timber fellers

the crew i'll be working for bought 3 or 4 dolmar 7900's last year, they were awsome cutting machines IF you could keep them running. Just all kinds of problems, clutch shoes breaking, air filter clip holders breaking, one saw went threw 3 coils, av mounts were a constant problem, especially the upper mount that goes to the cylinder via a CLAMP:taped: The crew went out and bought new 460 stihls and they are still running great, Im no even a stihl guy. I dont like ragging on dolmar but that is a real life experience coming from seasoned timber fellers

Whoops, the crew bought the dolmars in 2008 sorry.

To syczek, the one thing you want to watch out for is how fine of dust you're making and whether it's getting through the black winter filter. The winter filters are 80 micron mesh, supposedly to prevent frosting of the filter. However, if you start producing anything but fine chips some of the fines can get through the filter. In my limited winter cutting experience, the 40 micron mesh doesn't freeze up too bad either, but presumably you can find a balance.

LOL. OTAY!

I tell you what homeslice, if one of Tom Fales Jr's favorite felling saw was a 7900, I can tell you right now a lot of people wood laugh at what you just said:hmm3grin2orange:

He's a professional logger BTW, so he was using it ever'day...

Ain't that a hoot? I ran a Dolmar 7900 LOGGING every day for a week. The thing fell apart after that one week...and it was new. Would have been repaired, but no competent Dolmar dealer within a hundred miles at the time.
The owner bought it only to get a deal on something else he wanted.

And by the sounds of it...you HAVE NOT run one logging..

And please explain this quote:

the crew i'll be working for bought 3 or 4 dolmar 7900's last year, they were awsome cutting machines IF you could keep them running. Just all kinds of problems, clutch shoes breaking, air filter clip holders breaking, one saw went threw 3 coils, av mounts were a constant problem, especially the upper mount that goes to the cylinder via a CLAMP:taped: The crew went out and bought new 460 stihls and they are still running great, Im not even a stihl guy. I dont like ragging on dolmar but that is a real life experience coming from seasoned timber fellers

OH, and one more thing, "homeslice", Chevys suck hind tit. They fall apart too.

Last edited:
Ain't that a hoot? I ran a Dolmar 7900 LOGGING every day for a week. The thing fell apart after that one week...and it was new. Would have been repaired, but no compeptent Dolmar dealer within a hundred miles at the time.
Like I said, great power, but didn't stay running. The Stihls and huskys still run though.

:agree2::agree2::agree2::yourock:

You guys ever looked at MCW's thread? and the conditions he run his 7900's in? That to me says they do holdup to every day logging use. I'll also take his word over anyone because he's documented the use of his new and used 7900's and they seem to do fine, and I don't see why they wouldn't.

Ain't that a hoot? I ran a Dolmar 7900 LOGGING every day for a week. The thing fell apart after that one week...and it was new. Would have been repaired, but no competent Dolmar dealer within a hundred miles at the time.

One week? that I find hard to believe, a wild thing would last that long.:dizzy:

HA HA HA, chevys do suck. I was a die hard chevy guy for 10 years till I tried a dodge, wow what a difference, I dont have to replace the frame every 2 years!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:hmm3grin2orange:

If you get a dolmar or kita I would install the HD filter kit ASAP. I dont know what your cutten but dry dougfir firewood around here gets past those stock filters, I've installed a few HD filter kits and the problem was solved.Make sure the dealer can ritchen up the high speed jets when new, most of the dolmar problems are because of being set too lean at the factory:(

Back