Directioinal falling ?s for the pro's

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To the OP, I don't think there's any other kind of falling than directional falling, except maybe when clearcutting.
Most trees are already commited to their natural lay either by light, prevailing winds or other circumstances, so you just let them loose knowing these variables. You just can't be looking up enough. Once accomplished you can really slide stems thru other ones, because it saves alot of work and is safer if you have a good eye for square. Anybody can make a mistake, it's just a matter of knowing how to get out of it fast and safe.
John

To the OP, I don't think there's any other kind of falling than directional falling, except maybe when clearcutting.
Most trees are already commited to their natural lay either by light, prevailing winds or other circumstances, so you just let them loose knowing these variables. You just can't be looking up enough. Once accomplished you can really slide stems thru other ones, because it saves alot of work and is safer if you have a good eye for square. Anybody can make a mistake, it's just a matter of knowing how to get out of it fast and safe.
John

What its all about right there john.....right on!!!!

John

Yes, well said. Especially the bold section.

I just cringe when thinking of a hell west and crooked, jack-straw clear cut. That's all, but it is good info.

Still been working at it, think I have more theory down than technique LOL. Have a long way to go to be fluid enough to make the cuts smoothly without it looking labored. The one thing I do have to work on is looking up. So busy looking at the cut trying not to screw it up, I forget to look up.

Wow that ant up there you lol. I done one near that height but not quite long way to the top there for sure and big wood too:cheers:

Felling is the practice of dropping trees in many books I have read feller. I have only herd faller from you west coast mangs mang. But I would think we are all pretty good fellers and fallers agree:monkey:

No that is not me in any of those pictures, but my old skidder is in them.
I climbed one tree in Blue Jay Ca that loaded four trucks.

Jackstraw clearcuts, I know those.

Called, "paid by the MBF" LOL

Been to a few really bad blow down units where there is little you can do but just let the really hard leaners half uprooted, go. Yes trick stump stuff and whatever, it don't matter. Mine field, jack straw, blown up wood everywhere, mother nature F'd it up good. Don't get hurt, just have fun and enjoy watching the limits of what wood can do/take lol. Had my 660 and a 390 taken out of my hands, over my head in these type of units. My buddy had a 460 launched 100 ft. plus on the coast. 4 length wound up wood. Mang!

Last edited:
Don't get hurt, just have fun and enjoy watching the limits of what wood can do/take lol.

Hey Burvol I think that thought captures alot about what our new fallers need to experience for them to help understand what this job is about. Wood strength and the natural limits of each species put that slide show into your memory. I am a firm believer in challenging your abilities when you have the opportunity. Most of our fallers treat all species of trees the same and few really know how different species wood strength either helps or hinders them they just put in a undercut and backcut and fall it with the lean 90% of the time. Allot of cutters very few fallers.

Blowdown is tricky stuff. Most of my near-misses have been while clearing roads of blowdown. I learn something new every time, and every time I find a new way to screw things up. Ah, well, at least I don't make the same mistakes twice. Someday I'll know my ass from a hole in the ground!

Blowdown is like a game of Jenga, only a bit messier and you want it to come down, but under control.

I have to study it a bit before cutting-- Kick it, wiggle it, and then proceed with caution. Sometimes walk away.

just remember, a tree isnt racist it will take you out no matter the skin you wear, they make falling saws everyday.its good to learn from a vetren and who has the skill of hand for the work, i see lots of wierd looking stumps out there.

i see lots of wierd looking stumps out there.

Just like the onse a tree service is doing on some county roads by where I live they have a slash cut towards the road but there all 15'-20' in the air, why not just cut em flush with the ground? there are quite a few of em and there a huge eyesore!.. im NOT an arborist but I know what looks un appealing to the eye!

Just like the onse a tree service is doing on some county roads by where I live they have a slash cut towards the road but there all 15'-20' in the air, why not just cut em flush with the ground? there are quite a few of em and there a huge eyesore!.. im NOT an arborist but I know what looks un appealing to the eye!

This is often done where the butts have value. The tops are cut and chipped then the butts are cut separately and hauled to a mill. Could be what is happening there.

Latest posts

Back