Craigslist firewood ripoff

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No, can't be. Delivered him his wood last month and he was a good paying customer. He did want to barter at first though, something about a bunch of extra Christmas vests with lights and candles on them. I took the cash. :D

...and he didn't show you his virgins....

Very common scam, They just replaced the word Car or truck with firewoods(Lol). they want to send him a fake azz money order and have him deposit it, then in 3 days after his wood has left the county his bank will be calling to tell him about the fake M/O. Don't do it....

classic craigslist scam messages.. nothing new.. they always want to have a 3 party person pick up the item or bla bla bla.. and then send money to your bank account, bla bla bla.. #### is hilarious

also "lorry" , thats what the europeans , at least brits, call trucks (tractor trailers/big trucks)

You all are too jaded. I have had many mutually beneficial business transactions with such folks. For example, I shall soon be the recipient of a large payment for a load of wood shipped by container to the crown prince of Nigeria, no less. True, I had to front the shipping costs and a few other liabilities, but I will be made whole and then some to great effect once they transfer funds to my bank account. This is pending as both acct # and routing were provided. They wanted ss# too, but I balked at this as I'm no fool.

:hmm3grin2orange:

(hmm3grin2orange smiley provided for the benefit of them that don't get mah hoomer)

Actually, you wont be out any firewood, and there wont be any law to be standing by when the "freight company" shows up to collect the dough and the firewood.Our company nearly fell for that same scam, just better written and a lot more communication.

here is how it works.In our case, the guy ordered supplies for a wedding from our online craft store.Large purchase didnt cause any alarms to go off, and the shipping info matched the credit card.$6000 involved.We ordered the stuff because we didnt have all of it onhand.Everything sounded legit until I sent the guy the info that it was ready for pickup.Even the name of the carrier was known to us.
Then he dropped the bomb on us,he wanted a different carrier to pickup the stuff,but wanted us to bill the credit card the funds for the carrier,then wire the funds to the carrier.A quick check showed no carrier existed,so with the help of the credit card company we called the owner of the card who of course had no idea about his card being stolen.
In the end,it was clear that all the thief wanted was the funds for the shipping wired to him or his buddy.Carrier never would have showed up to pick up squat cause Im sure the dude was riding a camel somewhere else in the world.It was a close call for us, but Im glad we caught the scam before any funds got wired anywhere.

Give the guy a break.... even Nigerian kids need to eat. From the looks of our young adults, probably more than our kids need to eat. :hmm3grin2orange:

Yep - that's exactly how this scam works.

In more detail:

1) You get bogus check, and deposit it
2) Bank gives you the $
3) You, thinking that because you have the cash, got a legitimate check
4) (I'm guessing here) The truck never shows up
5) The original scammer says "Sorry" but keep some of the $ and send the balance back to him via Western Union
6) After you've sent the $ to him the bank then contacts you and says the original check was bad/stolen/forged whatever
7) You have to give the money back to the bank, and can't recover the $ you sent to the scammer (the cash is looooong gone)
8) (possibly) the bank charges you with fraud

Some may argue that the bank shouldn't have cleared the check -which theoretically is true, but not in practice. The bank _will_ clear checks before they _actually_ know if the check is valid or not. The bank itself doesn't get true and final validation on a check sometimes until weeks later. The scammers know this fact and use it to their advantage.

Rule #1: if something don't look right, WALK AWAY.

Crooks work so hard to avoid work! Fortunately many of us have the wisdom to avoid these scumbag scammers! However, there have been millions of people who have fallen prey to these crooks or else there wouldn't be so many of them still scammin'!!!!

I say we catch 'em & saw 'em up!!! With a really dull & rusty full chisel chain no less!!!!!! :chainsawguy:

I had the same type of email when I was selling my trailer ! I just replied
" This sounds great !! someone shows up with cash and they can do anything they want with the trailer "
I never heard back
MD

I've had this type of response from a few different ads. The first time it happened I went to the Postmaster at the post office because it would be considered mail fraud. I was hoping to set up a "sting" or something to nab the pick up person or whoever. The Postmaster said it was definitely a scam but I should just ignore it. So any time the they're wanting to pay more and then you send them the excess, it's a scam. By the time you discover the money order or other payment is bogus they have their money and you're responsible for the bad money order

The scam is routine. What is interesting is how quickly "jackwagon" has made it into the lexicon.

Crybaby.

Exactly what I was thinking! Two weeks ago my 6 year old daughter called her 3 yr old brother one. It drove me nuts for two days where she'd heard that one until 2 coworkers were laughing about the GEICO commercial. Ding!
Now I'm hearing it all over the place. Thanks Lee!

Now about the topic: I'll bet I flag at least 4 scams a week on Craigslist and could flag 3 times that easily. Sad.

Latest posts

Back