Falling pics 11/25/09

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I seen your picture . If I had arms like that 6lbs and all the gear all day would be a walk in the park (so 3lbs it is for me ) :laugh: LOL !

:cheers:[

His arms got so big from packing around my saw gas. LOL.....and you though I was going to say it was from all the time he spent in logging camps away from the woman folk. Ha!:hmm3grin2orange:

It's a good thing that you were partnered up with me all those years, so you could pick up all my wise tricks ay? :laugh: Just kiddin! I sure am glad to see you on here, and I am sure all the other regulars on here are glad as well to have you share some wisdom. I want that chainsaw all taken apart with all modded parts layin on a bench so I can photograph them when I get there!

I know you were kidding, but joking aside, working with you did make me a better hand. You picked up some crazy sick tricks from your CHI Jeff Revis days that I got to put in my warbag. We had allot of good times. I will never forget all that money we made on that death march of a hike on pow. Forget the name, but right there where the road forks to go to eather lab bay thorne bay, or craig. It will come to me in a minute.....thorne bay side of big salt. Anyhow, that was fun. We already had $100.00 made by the time most of em got to there saws. Nice friggin wood too.

The best ever!! I love it. I'd try and have my dog watch it to see that he isn't the only dog who works in the woods, sometimes. This makes up for 3 seasons of the Make Loggers Look Stupid show.

Mind if I embed it on the treehugger site where they're talking about wilderness?

Should I cock my hat before bucking? I think that's more of a guy thing, although my friend's mom said you should never wear a hat straight on, but always at an angle to look beautiful. Her mom knew a lot about that stuff. Apparently your brother does too! :clap::clap::wave:

LOL.....That's what my Momma say's too! I have to wear my hat straight when I'm working with Cody though. If I cock it at a rakish angle I'm just too darn pretty for him and he cant keep his mind on his business and starts hitting stumps and slabbing bucks and the what not! Ha.

Yes Slowp.....One cannot forget to Cock his hat. LOL. I learned the hat Cock from my old man. You never see that guy with his hat on straight!

I concur!

His arms got so big from packing around my saw gas. LOL.....and you though I was going to say it was from all the time he spent in logging camps away from the woman folk. Ha!:hmm3grin2orange

I don't concur! It was from all those extra trips packin my powersaw between my strip and yours to come cut you out :laugh:

I know you were kidding, but joking aside, working with you did make me a better hand. You picked up some crazy sick tricks from your CHI Jeff Revis days that I got to put in my warbag. We had allot of good times. I will never forget all that money we made on that death march of a hike on pow. Forget the name, but right there where the road forks to go to eather lab bay thorne bay, or craig. It will come to me in a minute.....thorne bay side of big salt. Anyhow, that was fun. We already had $100.00 made by the time most of em got to there saws. Nice friggin wood too.

Working together made us both better hands! I picked up a lot from you too. Your gung ho attitude was good for me sometimes! Fun times and I miss em :cry: I remember the job, where we raced in every day and all the older guys would shake their heads as we passed em...it is a wonder we didn't get hurt on the way in or out! That is also where we got very proficient at double jackin too. Also the job where we were jawin a little at fuel-up time and I was not payin attention and took a swig of saw gas :monkey: only time I have ever done that and you got to witness it. Remember the day when we were not so gung ho for 3-D, and we spent the whole day seein how many ribbons we could break from the road with rocks? No money made that day, but it sure was fun! I could tell stories like this all day. Anyhow, Pat is a great addition to this forum and he will be good for everyone on here to try to match wits with...He not only gets his hat cocking from "Ol Dad", but his joking nature too!

LOL.....That's what my Momma say's too! I have to wear my hat straight when I'm working with Cody though. If I cock it at a rakish angle I'm just too darn pretty for him and he cant keep his mind on his business and starts hitting stumps and slabbing bucks and the what not! Ha.

There is that joking nature! That must be what you were doin the day I took a swig of saw gas?

Last edited:
Hey Cody? You gonna take 12 over to see Pat? If I get the bid on this job, I would have to deliver it to to Lewiston. Figured I'd swing through and see you, maybe introduce myself to Pat in Orifino, then hit Deary to see Jason?

Middle of Jan is delivery date. . . You gonna be around the house then?

From what I hear Randy, Cody's ratio is 25 parts IPA beer to 75 parts whiskey! :hmm3grin2orange:

Nate, Double Super Funny! I'll tell you what's not funny.....His ratio when he was cutting timber near San Francisco. I beleive it was 12 1/5% vicodine, 12 1/5% Crown Royal, and 75%........... well, I better let you figure that out........dont want to get in trouble my first day....LOL

Welcome to the site Cody. Your initial post rang some familiar bells especially the being humble and not thinking your the greatest cutter since sliced bread and learning from others. My feeling is this job is one of utilizing every technique you have learned to expend the least amount of energy( which is still alot on some trees) to punch these trees over. Look forward to your stories.

From what I hear Randy, Cody's ratio is 25 parts IPA beer to 75 parts whiskey! :hmm3grin2orange:

That's about right pard! You have me figgered ;) Would love to see ya...we will be seeing Pat from the evening of the 30th to the 1'st. Let me know if you are coming here before or after that and hopefully we can meet up.

Welcome to the site Cody. Your initial post rang some familiar bells especially the being humble and not thinking your the greatest cutter since sliced bread and learning from others. My feeling is this job is one of utilizing every technique you have learned to expend the least amount of energy( which is still allot on some trees) to punch these trees over. Look forward to your stories.

Thank you for the welcome. This site is pretty darn neat. I agree with you 100% It seems that all up and coming cutters go through the sliced bread syndrome. Some cases are worse than others, but it seems to be a common trait. I guess you have to have a bit of an ego to even want to take on a job that is so inherently hazardous, strenuous, and unpredictable, but unfortunately there are those that choose to be shaded by there own ignorance from the light of sliced bread son of a bucks like me! LOL! I hope you know I'm kidding.....I couldn't't resist!!! Ha. My name is Pat by the way. I only go by Cody when I'm robbing banks or stealing cars.

Thank you for the welcome. This site is pretty darn neat. I agree with you 100% It seems that all up and coming cutters go through the sliced bread syndrome. Some cases are worse than others, but it seems to be a common trait. I guess you have to have a bit of an ego to even want to take on a job that is so inherently hazardous, strenuous, and unpredictable, but unfortunately there are those that choose to be shaded by there own ignorance from the light of sliced bread son of a bucks like me! LOL! I hope you know I'm kidding.....I couldn't't resist!!! Ha. My name is Pat by the way. I only go by Cody when I'm robbing banks or stealing cars.

And when your doing hack job port jobs? hahahahaha :greenchainsaw:

Nate, Double Super Funny! I'll tell you what's not funny.....His ratio when he was cutting timber near San Francisco. I beleive it was 12 1/5% vicodine, 12 1/5% Crown Royal, and 75%........... well, I better let you figure that out........dont want to get in trouble my first day....LOL

And all that before he really let his hair down eh? :hmm3grin2orange:

Yessir, works well in this weather.....had to run back home with my tail between my legs today though - Sam

What happened today Sam?

And all that before he really let his hair down eh? :hmm3grin2orange:

What happened today Sam?

Been workin up Cold Creek above St. Ignatious (not kidding about the drainage name). Not a good time of the year to be working up Cold Creek....it's cold up there. We were gonna come home today anyways....decided a half day was good enough. Didn't get above zero the past three days up there....sleeping in my car (and for the past three weeks).

Cold sawing for sure, looking forward to some warm holidays at home.

Happy Holidays to all of you - Sam

Voice of reason.. Full comp

Don't know if I'm doing this right but I'm trying to reply to all the feedback to the vid that Cody posted in one spot with some added BS, so here is a mouthful. Thank you for the complements and the ravings on Ugly dog. He is my best pard. Yeah, the saw was modded by woods in Cedro. I did a quite a bit to it though. I advanced the timing, went over all of there port work with a non-aggressive burr and smoothed the heck out of everything. Took the exhaust port out a bunch more on the cylinder. Made 5 fuel oxidizer ditch's in the intake. Completely removed the box inside the muffler so I could fit a pipe in it that I attached to the faceplate. You can not have much pipe sticking out of your saw if you are falling with it so I had the Idea to start my pipe on the inside. It took me forever to get the back pressure right, and must have put 10 different sized pipes on it before I got it right. I would tell you the exact sizes, but then I would take the fun out of it for you. All I will say is that you need to use fittings that will withstand the heat, make your first pipe big, then neck it down with a smaller fitting and figure out how to do it in a three inch space, and don't leave more that a 1/4 inch of pipe sticking out of your face plate, for it will hit the tree when you are falling and bucking and break your muffler off where it bolts to the cylinder. When you take the box out completely it weakens the muffler where it bolts on. My chains?........lots and lots of time spent in the saw shop when I should have been playing with my kids. The best advice I can give is when you work around a guy that has a chain that is working better that yours don't let foolish pride deprive you of advancing your chain's performance. Admit to yourself that there chain is better, and ask allot of questions, and if he is nice enough to let you have one of his runouts study the hell out of it. Break a left and a right cutter off and investigate every aspect, from the sideplate angle to the top plate angle. Most people do not realize the important roll that the sideplate plays in the performance of a chain, and it is actually more critical that any other part of the chain. Although I love Madsen's, don't put too much stock in there chain articles. They do get quite a bit of stuff right, but they do not have a guy in the brush on the payroll. They take information that they deem credible from there sources in the brush and compile it in there yearly catalog. I got one heck of a kick out of there article on the applications of full comp, semi, and full skip chain and the cutting speeds on various saws and bar lengths. Wasted words. No matter what wood you are cutting, saw you are running, or length bar you are using a properly ground and maintained full comp chain will cut faster, smoother, and longer that a full or semi skip chain. You just have to put the time in to it. I never did get good at grinding chain until I understood what every part of the chain did, and realized that I was not Ty Murray with a chainsaw, which sadly was only a few years back. lol.....Holy smokes that was a mouthful....but wait....theres more. lol. Really though, how I got my rigging to working good, and my undercuts to falling out like they should, is realizing that every cutter has something to offer that will make me better. Sometimes it's what not to do, but most cutters in the brush, you will find do something with a chainsaw better that you do, and if your the best cutter in the brush it's real damn hard to figure just what that is. This retarded my progression for years. I probably should have posted this elsewhere, but am new to this site. I figured with the notoriety my brother from another mother created for me on here that I probably should participate.

I'm glad you came here. The regulars in this particular thread are a handful, we need more. You might end up being the ring leader of the #### sligning' LOL. You are right on the money with full comp, I could of swore I was talking to the wall for years here. Half cocked, crazy, maybe spit in your eye, hell who knows. Right on, can't hold back your personality on camera. Let er' hang out there lol. Just gets a guy exicted, the way it should be out there. Love it.

Back