stihl 066 rebuild. W/pictures

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You want to practice some more sandblasting and painting a case on a 440? I'll pay shipping to and from.:hmm3grin2orange:

Hope to do something with my 440 this spring but not to this extent.

Your saw is looking great. Thanks for the pics to show your work.

If i only had that much free time, i would consider it for a fair price.

Guna have to make a thread and post pictures

Got alot done on the saw today. cleaned up all the plastics except the tank handle. Sandblast first, then 320 wet sand, 5min in oven at 175, fisrt coat 5 min in oven, second coat 5 in oven, wetsand 600, 1 or 2 more coats final in oven for 10 min. Works great and looks good.
If you don't 600 wet sand the finish is rougher but still good
i also wet-sanded the filter ocver
CIMG2223.jpg

CIMG2227.jpg

CIMG2228.jpg

CIMG2229.jpg

CIMG2230.jpg

debating painting handle probably will any ideas on getting grip off? if i can ill powder coat it if not ill rattle can it.

CIMG2221.jpg

muffler came out great

CIMG2222.jpg

CIMG2226.jpg

CIMG2225.jpg

CIMG2224.jpg

CIMG2231.jpg

used plastic weld to fix this, if i find a good one ill buy it? came out strong

CIMG2232.jpg

CIMG2233.jpg

CIMG2234.jpg

just about done needs grommet for carb and i need to blast and powder bar cover

CIMG2235.jpg

CIMG2236.jpg

CIMG2237.jpg

CIMG2238.jpg

CIMG2239.jpg

CIMG2240.jpg

To get the grip off, do you think you can sneak in the wd40 straw tube that comes with the can and squirt some in. Work it to the middle from both ends and slide it off.

To reinstall I don't know if hair spray or spray adhesive on the tube and inside the grip would work.

BTW, it looks great with the bar the way it is if you decide not to pull grip off. A little touch up with the rattle can and it will look just fine to me.

Last edited:
To get the grip off, do you think you can sneak in the wd40 straw tube that comes with the can and squirt some in. Work it to the middle from both ends and slide it off.

To reinstall I don't know if hair spray or spray adhesive on the tube and inside the grip would work.

that's what i was thinking then just glue it back on

I am pretty happy with it came out pretty dam good i must say ill run it tomorrow. Snows coming down guna be a long nite.

I need big dogs, slide plate, grommet and possibly a carb housing if anyone has these leme know, theirs probably a few more things I'm forgetting.

next saw ill clena up the tank handle but its guna be a work saw...

Snow has been coming down since about 1pm. there is about 8-10 so far.

If you really wanted to get the grip off a little bit of compressed air with oil combo on the ends will probably loosen up the grip enough to remove. Don't know if too much pressure of air will rip apart the grip though.

Snow has been coming down since about 1pm. there is about 8-10 so far.

If you really wanted to get the grip off a little bit of compressed air with oil combo on the ends will probably loosen up the grip enough to remove. Don't know if too much pressure of air will rip apart the grip though.

tried that but it was a no go. Ill figure something out id cut it off but i cant get any form dealer id have to buy 16ft of grip :dizzy:

Heat the handle in VERY HOT water (bathtub or big sink), the hotter the better. Tube should slide off fairly easy. Heat rubber tube, only, to install.

Just use a sleeve or washers with the clutch spider to pull the crank to the clutch-side. then just evenly bolt the flywheel side on, you can also use the same washer method on this side. just got slow and keep everything even.

Just use a sleeve or washers with the clutch spider to pull the crank to the clutch-side. then just evenly bolt the flywheel side on, you can also use the same washer method on this side. just got slow and keep everything even.

sorry,I don´t undestand:confused2:

Back