opinions of troy bilt log splitter from lowes?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stc1213

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I am thinking of buying one of the troy bilt log splitters from Lowes. It is a 27 ton model. I was wondering if anyone had any experiances with these, good or bad. Thanks.

splitter

ihave heard alot of good and bad it alldepends on how hard you use it goodc luck with your purchace

Ditto on both posts above. i read alot about how bad they are and that the welds break on the cylinder..
although..ive totally beat the snot outta mine! like..splittin logs that me and 2 other ppl had to roll in place and never really hurt it at all.

ONLY thing i can warn you about is make sure its level when its running or it WILL spew hydro fluid outta the vent plug. AND, the log catchers that come on it use some cheap low grade bolts to hold it on. replace them with beefy 3/8 grade 8 bolts. But thats only problems i ran into! other then that, i love it! makes my day alot easier! lol

Edit: OHhh yah, one other thing, ive had mine for going on 4 years!

I have about 16 years on mine. Horizontal shaft engine just got changed out this year. I guess about 25 to 30 cords per year production. I have read where some quality issues have come up with welding and the like but just look it over when you buy. You will see issues if you inspect it well. good luck

Ours has split over 400 cord in the last 2.5 years, in commercial conditions. No issues except blown engine which they replaced under warranty. With that said we picked up another splitter a couple of weeks ago, a Swisher, it eats the TB alive.
I like it's wedge design much better than the TB and like the belt drive pump, no lovejoy coupling to wear out all the time. The swisher is about the same price new and it has a 11hp vs a 5hp and a 16gal pump vs a 11 and is twice as fast.
Our TB dosen't owe us a dime and has paid for itself many times over. It has with stood the toughest conditions, it would be great for individual use.

I've had one for five or six years........ I love it. I split maybe ten cord a year on average. Mine has the 5.5 Honda, and it's never taken more than two pulls to start it....... even after sitting most of the winter. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one.

The only complaint I have heard is that the wheels are in the way when you split horizontally. Otherwise it seems the guys that have them like them.

Don

Going on third year with mine. Couldn't be happier. Used a 10% off coupon when I purchased mine, $140.00 off was nice. Google Lowe's Coupons, print one out and take it to the store.

I 've owned a 27ton troybilt for 3 years now. The thing splits any wood I throw at it w/o a complaint.

The only weak design is the cradle arms. I had one snap off the bolts that hold it to the frame. Drilled out the holes (tapped screws) and attached it with bigger nuts and bolts.

I'm on my 4th year with mine. It hasn't given me any real problems and has split just about everything I throw at it. (6-8 cords a year) I did replace the log holder with a homemade log table.

i have had mine about 5 years and the honda engine always starts great. it is not the fastest or baddest boy on the block my any means but so far it is a great personnel splitter.

some earliar models had some issues with the supports welded on the side of the cylinder breaking and one member had on go off on him. i believe that issue has been addressed and is no longer a problem now.

mine has worked great and been problem free for me though with an average of 5-10 cords a year on it.

in the picture you'll notice a difference in color and make, BUT, design is the same. these were taken today.

The differences between the 2 models are: The stickers, color, metal vs plastic fender, and the one i have came with a Wheel/jack on the front. i think the TB have a fold down leg? Reason they have a little bit of a difference is due to the fact that Lowes sells TB, and Home depot sells Cub Cadet. Same splitter, different sellers.

This is it plowing through an OLD red oak stump i just finished splittin..
View attachment 166535
attachment.php

This is a full side view. note the metal fenders and the folding jack/leg/wheel combo it came with.
View attachment 166539
attachment.php

Here's the honda power plant it comes with as well..
View attachment 166538
attachment.php

And this image, is where its weak point was on the earlier models? like i said, i been splittin stuff for about 4 years now with no issues in this area. It paid for itself the first year i had it and i continue to keep on using it!
View attachment 166537
attachment.php

Last edited:
I 've owned a 27ton troybilt for 3 years now. The thing splits any wood I throw at it w/o a complaint.

The only weak design is the cradle arms. I had one snap off the bolts that hold it to the frame. Drilled out the holes (tapped screws) and attached it with bigger nuts and bolts.

Same here. I also bolted plywood scrap onto the tables. Due to wood catching on it when it is trying to spread apart, the plywood soon ratted out the bolt holes and result is pretty much a sliding table now. Don't have to watch for wood catching on that support near as much now.

Harry K

Those TB splitters have decent components but the design puts the wheels dead in my way when splitting horizontally. I dunno how you guys can use them without gettin a sore back or trippin over the wheels. I have a 5 yr old 22t Tractor Supply splitter and my buddy has one that is 20 yrs old (just replaced the engine) both have seen heavy use with no issues. The design of the Tractor Supply splitter allows free movement of men and wood in and out of the business zone without restriction.

Last edited:
Those TB splitters have decent components but the design puts the wheels dead in my way when splitting horizontally. I dunno how you guys can use them without gettin a sore back or trippin over the wheels. I have a 5 yr old 22t Tractor Supply splitter and my buddy has one that is 20 yrs old (just replaced the engine) both have seen heavy use with no issues. The design of the Tractor Supply splitter allows free movement of men and wood in and out of the business zone without restriction.

I duunno, I sort of get in a rhythm and start enjoying the tire rub. :D :D

Back