Husqvarna 346XP Chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do cut dirty wood and have to admit that the chain thats on there now has been excellent. Would I need the one with 66 drive links, I see there is one with 67 also? If your telling me the saw probably has the Oregon 95vp on it then I may just order a couple of them since its been a great chain so far.

The number of drive links (DL) required will be stamped on your bar.

Your bar should also have pitch and gauge stamped on it. For the record, you can run regular .325 pitch chain on a .325 pitch narrow kerf (NK) bar. That is, you don't have to limit yourself to NK chain. I run .325 Stihl RSC and Oregon LPX on the 16" NK bar that came with my NE346XP.

Not sure whether you want full-chisel or semi-chisel? Try one of each.

Last edited:
The number of drive links (DL) required will be stamped on your bar.

Your bar should also have pitch and gauge stamped on it. For the record, you can run regular .325 pitch chain on a .325 pitch narrow kerf (NK) bar. That is, you don't have to limit yourself to NK chain. I run .325 Stihl RSC and Oregon LPX on the 16" NK bar that came with my NE346XP.

Not sure whether you want full-chisel or semi-chisel? Try one of each.

I don`t think you can run regular chain on narrow kerf bar. maybe you can to the other way around.

I have two bars, 16" one is Husqvarna and the other is Oregon; Oregon is narower and don`t allow the chain from Husky bar on it.
Husqvarna bar, may use the narrower chain on it.
however I think one should only use compatible chain/bar.

my 0.02$

cheers

Last edited:
I do cut dirty wood and have to admit that the chain thats on there now has been excellent. Would I need the one with 66 drive links, I see there is one with 67 also? If your telling me the saw probably has the Oregon 95vp on it then I may just order a couple of them since its been a great chain so far.

Your saw dont have the 95vp on it. You said it had a 20 on the drive link so that would be either LPX or BPX. Only way to tell it to look at the cutter shape.

JMO, If you want semi chisel go with the 95vp since you have the Narrow kerf bar. If you want chisel chain go with the LPX.

66 Drive links is correct for a 16''bar. Should be stamped on the bar right under the .325.

If it is a Husky mount bar you should use the 66dl chain. 67dl is for Stihl mount bars.

Your saw dont have the 95vp on it. You said it had a 20 on the drive link so that would be either LPX or BPX. Only way to tell it to look at the cutter shape.

JMO, If you want semi chisel go with the 95vp since you have the Narrow kerf bar. If you want chisel chain go with the LPX.

66 Drive links is correct for a 16''bar. Should be stamped on the bar right under the .325.

Correct, as everything else you posted in this thread! :agree2:

Last edited:
It probably is the H30/95VP. You can check it out with your dealer and confirm it. While you are there, purchase one of the roller sharpening kits that is built for the H30/95VP chain. There will be the roller guide which will position your file for you. There will also be a progressive raker guide, plus the files you need.

You can start learning the fine art of chain filing. After you make enough mistakes and finally get the hang of sharpening, the fun factor goes right up.

I've seen those guides and have been wanting to try one, thanks for reminding me, I'll just add that to my list along with an XP hat. :biggrinbounce2:

Those guides work very well - just remember that you need different ones for different chain!

I don`t think you can run regular chain on narrow kerf bar. maybe you can to the other way around.

I have two bars, 16" one is Husqvarna and the other is Oregon; Oregon is narower and don`t allow the chain from Husky bar on it.
Husqvarna bar, may use the narrower chain on it.

my 0.02$

cheers

That can happen, but usually it doesn't! :)

Personally, I would go with stihl rsc, then the woodland pro and as a last resort oregon. In my cutting conditions the oregon gives me the shortest service lenght.
Seems soft and seems to dull easier. I will only use the oregon as a last resort.

I don't agree - I use 21LP and 25RSC on my 50cc saws, and prefere the Oregon. It cuts slightly faster, and has longer cutters, that will last longer. :clap::clap:

I have two bars, 16" one is Husqvarna and the other is Oregon; Oregon is narower and don`t allow the chain from Husky bar on it.Husqvarna bar, may use the narrower chain on it.

my 0.02$

cheers

It sounds like you might have two different gage bars. Is the husky bar by any chance .058” gage and the Oregon .050”? I run standard kerf on a narrow kerf bar most of the time on my 2150.

Well, I just ordered two 95vp chains and now you don't believe that's whats on my saw currently???

I called my dealer and they tell me its a 20LPX066G???

Last edited:
Ok, I made the change with Baileys and I'm good to go! Thank you all for your help. I'm gonna have to write all of this down for future reference!

A buddy of mine just bought a 455 Rancher with a 3/8" 20" bar/chain and would like to order the same chain that I'm running and ordered, which is it in 3/8"?

A buddy of mine just bought a 455 Rancher with a 3/8" 20" bar/chain and would like to order the same chain that I'm running and ordered, which is it in 3/8"?

72LPX if the bar is .050, 73LPX/H42 if it is .058.

20" and 3/8" really is too much on a 455 though.....

Back