Falling pics 11/25/09

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks guys, that is the 2188 with full wrap on it. It makes a world of difference even in limbing and packing the saw.

Also this is the first time I used a snipe, you can kind of see it on the stump in the last picture but it was only on one side of the facecut so right after the second picture the hingewood broke and the the butt twisted off to the right. It worked out great and I plan on trying it on the next couple large trees I fall.

Last edited:
Found these videos on the Tube , it's from one of our members here , no big trees (it's an East coast thing) , don't know if they've been posted before so here you go .

[video=youtube;PC8z86-5cZ4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_profilepage&v=PC8z86-5cZ4[/video]

[video=youtube;TwWOkJ_A6vI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_profilepage&v=TwWOkJ_A6vI[/video]

:cheers:

Input from the Experts

I haven't really posted on here (As I'm sure you can tell by my post count.) But I have read LOTS on here (even before I was a member.)
I cut down a large Old Growth Fir yesterday that turned out to be quite rotten on the stump. It was leaning hard straight ahead and looked as though that was going to be the only possible way that it would come down. Anyway, I put the face in and figured out it was fairly rotten (but still some fiber holding it together, not hollow). Then I started in on the back cut, my thought was to bore it so I could establish a hinge as it was such a head leaner. But, just after I finished setting the hinge on the left side and only cutting about 1/4 of the back cut it popped! From there I decided I had better not run behind it and try to set the hinge on the right but rather just finish up as much of the back cut as I could before it really started going.

I am just curious what you professional fallers would have done given the circumstances? Granted you weren't there and it's tough to give advice on something that you didn't get to see all of the variable first hand. But just general thoughts on what to do with a hard head leaners etc.

Bonus: I have a vid of the back cut in case it helps any. If not, it's still a big tree making a pretty good boom.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/8zSg3zI1HDI?hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/8zSg3zI1HDI?hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

If it was rotten, I would have hit the back hard and fast. In rotten trees it really helps to figure out where the rot is and where the good wood is. Depending on those variables, you can manipulate the tree as you normally would, still though a rotten face usually falls apart as the tree sits on it. .

And in my brief experiences, rotten trees along with hollow trees would rather fall on your chainsaw than barber chair LOL..

Found these videos on the Tube , it's from one of our members here , no big trees (it's an East coast thing) , don't know if they've been posted before so here you go .

[video=youtube;PC8z86-5cZ4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_profilepage&v=PC8z86-5cZ4[/video]

[video=youtube;TwWOkJ_A6vI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_profilepage&v=TwWOkJ_A6vI[/video]

:cheers:

I think it's Stihl Crazy working in the movies !?

I haven't really posted on here (As I'm sure you can tell by my post count.) But I have read LOTS on here (even before I was a member.)
I cut down a large Old Growth Fir yesterday that turned out to be quite rotten on the stump. It was leaning hard straight ahead and looked as though that was going to be the only possible way that it would come down. Anyway, I put the face in and figured out it was fairly rotten (but still some fiber holding it together, not hollow). Then I started in on the back cut, my thought was to bore it so I could establish a hinge as it was such a head leaner. But, just after I finished setting the hinge on the left side and only cutting about 1/4 of the back cut it popped! From there I decided I had better not run behind it and try to set the hinge on the right but rather just finish up as much of the back cut as I could before it really started going.

I am just curious what you professional fallers would have done given the circumstances? Granted you weren't there and it's tough to give advice on something that you didn't get to see all of the variable first hand. But just general thoughts on what to do with a hard head leaners etc.

I think that the fact that you had a falling plan and then were smart enough to know you needed to change it shows you have a good understanding of the dynamics of falling. I'm with the Kid, with rot, cut your guts out till its time to bail and get the hell out of there, esp. with maybe a big old dead top.....

They'r enot all the same, stay aware of what the situation is as circumstances arrise, and carry on as you best see fit.

Hell I've had trees with 3 escape routes, one in each of the 45's back, and one right damn where it was supposed to go just in case #### got really crazy.

Take care.

Like Hammer said. Have set escape routes and good clear paths. Look the rest of the tree over really well before doing anything. LOOK UP in your back cut! Make sure you hit the compression wood first. Usually there is some side lean with head lean. The pop probably meant you started on the tension side. Hard to say for sure though. Usually if the rot is not real obvious from the outside the rind of the stem is ok and you should have enough holding wood to cut as normal. "Should" is always the key there. Like the Kid said hit it fast.

Thanks for the input fellas... It was definitely limb heavy to the right so that would make sense as to why I got the initial "pop." My plan (before putting the face in and finding out it was unsound) was to cut that right side first on my back cut. But then I was thinking "what if there isn't enough fiber in the back and it sits down on that side when I try to set the hinge there?" So then it was just kinda flying by the seat of my pants, improvising. If I come across that situation again though I'll definitely keep your guys' pointers in mind. "Hard and Fast" :cheers:

My hat is painted in that fashion for a reason. That corkey color is my all time go to for my big 4 species.The K.K. as I am known on the river, is what I call the color. In other parts that combo is known as the Willamette Special or in Canada they call it Lettuce and Tomato. It was suppose to be the only one out there, but you being on the East Coast, I'll say it's alright LOL.

eaked-out:Hey you guys; I haven't been on here for quite a while . Puter died a long time ago. And I just got a new smarty pants fon . Good t see ya'll. Still walkin around under your tin hats . I'm still loggin my own show in th Interior . It was 50 below this morning so I didn't even try t start th truck tyhis morning. Maybe I'll figure out how t post some pics with this telephone .

eaked-out:Hey you guys; I haven't been on here for quite a while . Puter died a long time ago. And I just got a new smarty pants fon . Good t see ya'll. Still walkin around under your tin hats . I'm still loggin my own show in th Interior . It was 50 below this morning so I didn't even try t start th truck tyhis morning. Maybe I'll figure out how t post some pics with this telephone .

Good to finally hear from you Tramp! I was wondering what happened to you. Did you ever get you skidder setup?

Looking forward to pictures if you can post them. :beer:

A little roadside hazard.

167720_488395840886_513110886_6613090_2431997_n.jpg

163636_488395970886_513110886_6613092_598362_n.jpg

163403_488396205886_513110886_6613098_4050014_n.jpg

167332_488396670886_513110886_6613105_6338665_n.jpg

179417_488396895886_513110886_6613107_3910840_n.jpg

167640_488397080886_513110886_6613111_6391239_n.jpg

165622_488397245886_513110886_6613114_5212179_n.jpg

Nice work Jamison.
It looks like you got some new boots, are they caulks.
Those trees will lift easier if you use less stump shot.But if you cut low they will lift much harder.
An easier lift means less pounding wedges and less likely to shake something out on your head.
I like to see you use two sets and spread the pressure out.

Nice work Jamison.
It looks like you got some new boots, are they caulks.
Those trees will lift easier if you use less stump shot.But if you cut low they will lift much harder.
An easier lift means less pounding wedges and less likely to shake something out on your head.
I like to see you use two sets and spread the pressure out.

Thanks for the tip Joel.

Not caulks, just vibram lug soles. Carolina.

Beetle galleries and blue stain: I know how to read 'em here, but I'm curious what you have there.

Beetles: Cherambycid? Dendroctonus? Parasite or saprophyte? I'm talking about the ones that you have pictured with the quarter-sized holes and no evident frass.

Blue stain: Grosmannia?

Just comparing ecology, really. Awful interesting stuff.

Beetle galleries and blue stain: I know how to read 'em here, but I'm curious what you have there.

Beetles: Cherambycid? Dendroctonus? Parasite or saprophyte? I'm talking about the ones that you have pictured with the quarter-sized holes and no evident frass.

Blue stain: Grosmannia?

Just comparing ecology, really. Awful interesting stuff.

Thanks for mentioning that. I haven't heard much about the southern pine beetle in this area - I'm sure it is here, just not in epidemic fashion.

That pine also had a lightning scar for roughly half the length of the stem, and half the crown was dead, with the rest not too far behind.

Back