Looking at a Husqvarna 372xp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rbiersteker

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi everyone. Found some great info on this site. Thanks. I am looking to buy my first chainsaw. mostly for cutting firewood. will also be used for cutting beams etc in fallen barns to reclaim lumber for my projects. I have a line on a 3 year old 372xp at a great price. Has a new 20" bar and chain. My question is this, is this saw too much for this work? If so why. Admittedly Im a bit of a tool junkie, but when i buy a tool it will be around for a long time. Thanks for any advice. I do plan on using chaps and proper headgear!!

The 372xp is often considered one of the best all around saws, period.

You may find that it is a bit heavy for what you describe - I would recommend a 50cc as a better choice b/c it will be lighter and uses a LOT less fuel. If my 372xp were human it would have to be sent to the Betty Ford clinic, compared to the 350 it really is a fuel hog.

I LOVE the 372 and wouldn't mind getting my hands on another one. If you find yourself felling trees or having to buck larger rounds the 372 will be nice. I have 20" and 28" bars for mine and find that it pulls either one comfortably.

By most accounts, it is a great saw. Is it the right size for you? Depends on what you use it for and how big of wood you cut. For cutting beams and such, yes, it is probably too big. I think it makes a good firewood saw, especially when you are felling and bucking larger trees. I like using larger saws for firewood just because they cut quicker.

If this saw is in good shape at a good price, you have little to lose by buying it. Try it out and resell it later if it is too much saw.

The 372 is a great saw. If you can get it at a good price buy it, most likely it will hold its value and you can resell it for what you have in it.

Great saw, not really that heavy.

Cutting beams takes a relatively short bar (usually), but ripping wood cross-grained takes a lot of power. I recommend the big saw over the 50cc junior saws.

BTW: you will be happier with two saws. Get a cheap 16" saw for clearing underbrush and limbing out smaller parts of the tree.

The 372 is a great saw. If you can get it at a good price buy it, most likely it will hold its value and you can resell it for what you have in it.
+1 If you don't like it and list it at a decent price, you'll sell it easily.
Probably to the first interested person that sees it. Just keep the chain freshly sharpened - for those who want to see it in wood before purchasing. It will sell itself. Chances are you'll keep though.

Thanks for your input.. Is there a greater chance of kickback with a higher powered saw?
I say the chances are equal with any saw, but what happens when a high-powered saw kicks back is much different. Get an experienced user to give you some tips (many here, maybe someone close to you) and always wear protective equipment. Any doubts about something you're fix'in to cut - don't do it.

I did alot of research in buying my second firewood saw. In the end I got the 372xp and fell in love! I have only tried a 20" and 24" bar on it so far. With the 20" it's balance is perfect. With the 24" it is slightly nose heavy. In my opinion you can't go wrong with it coupled with a cheap 16" or 18" poulan or equivalent.

I did alot of research in buying my second firewood saw. In the end I got the 372xp and fell in love! I have only tried a 20" and 24" bar on it so far. With the 20" it's balance is perfect. With the 24" it is slightly nose heavy. In my opinion you can't go wrong with it coupled with a cheap 16" or 18" poulan or equivalent.

Couple it with a 346xp, and you will have a combo that handle all tasks that most run into excellently.....:smile2:

If the 372xp is the right saw for the op is another question.......

Couple it with a 346xp, and you will have a combo that handle all tasks that most run into excellently.....:smile2:

If the 372xp is the right saw for the op is another question.......

He nailed it!!!:msp_biggrin:

Thanks again for everyones input. I ended up with a Stihl MS260 Pro. Probably a better saw to start out with! It has a 20" bar so I can still handle the big maples I have to buck. Some are up to 26". I am still fighting the urge to grab the 372xp though!!

If a 26" maple is large to you, I don't think you could have done any better than that 260. That is a great saw for that type of wood, and the work you seem to be entering in to.

Back