long distance wood?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
you guys and "sideboards!" HA! get a truck to play like a big boy :) .. i use my c70 with 4' x 18' steel sides and floor. just load her as full as you can get her :) 4.5 cords. EASY :p you feel like you've worked by throwing it in the tractor bucket, dumping it in there and stacking it. works best with 3 guys.. each takes a turn running the tractor, loading the bucket and stacking in the truck. oh.. AND it only adds about 12,000 of weight on her back. run 75 miles an hour home and dump it :)

LOL that's furney:)

013-2.jpg

That would be darn nice around a creek I'm cleaning up for a rancher friend,...

Yeah if brush is piled it gets it fast! Logs 19 foot length up to about 36" any bigger like the one in that photo sorta take finesse to get loaded I usually just cut those big boys in 8 or ten foot section then 57" is no problem lol. Its old needs welding from time to time but gets the job done! Six foot sides kick lol.

I hauled a pickup with sideboards load home from my in-laws at Thanksgiving (275 miles) because they wouldn't take no for an answer.

My cousin married my best friend's cousin. Their family has some land 145 miles from here and about 6 of them haul all of their wood from there. They go up there quite often to hunt and fish and haul a load home everytime they go. My best friend lives 75 miles from here so he ends up hauling ALL of his wood 210 miles! He drives a chipped duramax diesel and mileage is as good as mine empty while he is pulling a trailer with 1 1/2+ cords (dry).

On occation I have driven about 50 miles one way to go cut wood with my dad. It's normally to clean something up on the farm that we hunt on, and it's normally combined with a trip up there that I was going to take anyway. There's a lot of good hickory that needs to be cut up there though. If I could find a cheap tandom trailer, I would probably make a couple of trips up there a year. I figure if I could find a cheap small stock trailer (normally tandem 3500# axles) and remove some of the sidepanels for access, I could haul a cord and a half in it, and half a cord in my truck bed and still have room for the saws and tools. I burn about 5 or 6 cords a year, so 3 trips would be a years worth.

Normally I cut on a local farm about 10 mi down the road, but I've got most of that place cleaned up now. They are doing some select logging there right now, so I expect that I'll be able to get another years worth of good firewood from that, and then it's probably going to dry up quite a bit. That gives me some time to save up and find a trailer.

you guys and "sideboards!" HA! get a truck to play like a big boy :) .. i use my c70 with 4' x 18' steel sides and floor. just load her as full as you can get her :) 4.5 cords. EASY :p you feel like you've worked by throwing it in the tractor bucket, dumping it in there and stacking it. works best with 3 guys.. each takes a turn running the tractor, loading the bucket and stacking in the truck. oh.. AND it only adds about 12,000 of weight on her back. run 75 miles an hour home and dump it :)

That would be alright if I had 3 guys to cut with instead of just me, or even if I just had a tractor with a loader on it. As it is, I don't like having to lift 8" x 24" pieces of oak, locust, or hickory any higher than I have to. Even bed on my '93 F250 seems to be awfully tall... :)

That would be alright if I had 3 guys to cut with instead of just me, or even if I just had a tractor with a loader on it. As it is, I don't like having to lift 8" x 24" pieces of oak, locust, or hickory any higher than I have to. Even bed on my '93 F250 seems to be awfully tall... :)

I know that is right. Yesterday I had one of those dreaded tree service days where no equipment could be used 100 foot drag or tote up a steep hill all day and load on truck. It wore my ass out 20" round suck to carry up hill but sometimes a skid can't be used it is just old fashioned back breaking labor. It makes me envy them boys using cranes:hmm3grin2orange:

I know that is right. Yesterday I had one of those dreaded tree service days where no equipment could be used 100 foot drag or tote up a steep hill all day and load on truck. It wore my ass out 20" round suck to carry up hill but sometimes a skid can't be used it is just old fashioned back breaking labor. It makes me envy them boys using cranes:hmm3grin2orange:

I wonder how I did it, back when I did every job with the trailer:dizzy:

why do you need a dump bed before you can use it? and i MAY have a "pretty cheap" cylinder/pto kit under an old binder... you know.. tossing a bone your way

Jim if you do, I'd be more than willing to offset with fence building or whatever else you may need! I don't need the dump to start using it, I'd just REALLY like to convert it to one such that it would make life a bit easier. Especially with my Dad helping me and just healing up from his Hernia surgery,...

Yeah, I cheat and split the 20" rounds into quarters. I used to lift those things, but it's just not worth it any more. If I can't at least drive an ATV up to it, I don't bother with it. Last month I cut a nice red oak (about 24" at the base) that had been laying in a ravine for the past year and a half. The ravine wasn't too deap, and the bottom was nice and flat except for the 4 foot gully that prevented me from driving the truck right over to it (the main lane crossed this ravine about 60 yards away). I ended up having to split it and stack it on the back of the quad and haul it up out of there about 5 pieces at a time. Between the steep sides, the snow, and the leaves undernieth, the 4x4 actually had a hard time climbing up out of there. It made for a long day, but it sure beat carrying it up out of there by hand. I would have hated to see that tree go to waste, but if I couldn't have gotten the quad over to it, I would have let it rot. The other option was to build a small bridge to cross the gully and drive the quad over that way.

Yeah, I cheat and split the 20" rounds into quarters. I used to lift those things, but it's just not worth it any more. If I can't at least drive an ATV up to it, I don't bother with it. Last month I cut a nice red oak (about 24" at the base) that had been laying in a ravine for the past year and a half. The ravine wasn't too deap, and the bottom was nice and flat except for the 4 foot gully that prevented me from driving the truck right over to it (the main lane crossed this ravine about 60 yards away). I ended up having to split it and stack it on the back of the quad and haul it up out of there about 5 pieces at a time. Between the steep sides, the snow, and the leaves undernieth, the 4x4 actually had a hard time climbing up out of there. It made for a long day, but it sure beat carrying it up out of there by hand. I would have hated to see that tree go to waste, but if I couldn't have gotten the quad over to it, I would have let it rot. The other option was to build a small bridge to cross the gully and drive the quad over that way.

That's why I like to cut them down and then yard them out with a tractor or a truck. I do see a large winch in he future for my C50,... Between that and 1st/low diff - if I can find the traction, something's going for a drag.

That's why I like to cut them down and then yard them out with a tractor or a truck. I do see a large winch in he future for my C50,... Between that and 1st/low diff - if I can find the traction, something's going for a drag.

I don't think the owner would of appreciated me dragging it across his squishy sod yard!

Not to get free wood, but i drive 156 or 240 miles once or twice a week to deliver wood for 225 a cord wtf we get 250 a cord dumped 2 miles

All of this just goes to show, that there is never any such thing as "free wood", or anything else for that matter. The worth that we derive from it and value we attach to it is dependent entirely on the availability and necessity of it.

Back