Question about Cat-Stoves

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mustangwagz

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Here's my questions...a CATALYTIC stove is a cleaner burning stove, correct? Also, Can a non-CAT stove be turned into a CAT stove by using one of the CAT honeycomb devices? for example, say i wanted to make my stove burn cleaner, Could i buy a 6inch round Honeycomb designed for wood stoves and insert it into the beginning of the flue exit? Or would i surely encounter stove/chimney melt down?

Ahhhhh crap..i already asked this question..n/m..uhh....dang...now i feel like a 'tard..

another thought..can a Secondary burn system be made or adapted into an existing burner that is NOT already setup for it? Just lookin to make it as efficent as possible..lol

Last edited:
Here's my questions...a CATALYTIC stove is a cleaner burning stove, correct? Also, Can a non-CAT stove be turned into a CAT stove by using one of the CAT honeycomb devices? for example, say i wanted to make my stove burn cleaner, Could i buy a 6inch round Honeycomb designed for wood stoves and insert it into the beginning of the flue exit? Or would i surely encounter stove/chimney melt down?

Ahhhhh crap..i already asked this question..n/m..uhh....dang...now i feel like a 'tard..

another thought..can a Secondary burn system be made or adapted into an existing burner that is NOT already setup for it? Just lookin to make it as efficent as possible..lol

Yes, on the secondary thing. See my post a couple of years back:

http://www.arboristsite.com/firewood-heating-wood-burning-equipment/86675.htm

As far as the cat add on, there were several companies that made them back in the 80's. Most fit in the stove on the top where the stove pipe attaches. There's only 1 available that I know of now. It would be much cheaper to make your own as you suggested. Also, it was questionable whether an add on set above the stove stayed hot enough to light off well and stay lit.

Here's a couple of old links about add on catalysts:

Retrofit Catalytic Converters

A CATALYTIC CONVERTER YOU CAN BUILD

FWIW, I'm currently looking at building some sort of retrofit cat in my stove to add to the secondary air tubes I did a couple of years ago.

Back