Phones ringing..

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for starting this thread, cause I need to blow off some steam myself.

People are the same way with their dang snowblowers. They wait until the eve of the storm and expect you to run right over there and get them going. Even though they broke it on the previous storm, they'll wait until the weather channel tells them they're going to need it again.

The current weather pattern has made things worse. With one storm after the other, people are parking their blowers with the snow and slush in there and it freezes up by the next storm. They go out and try to engage the auger. Some people are smart enough to let go of the control when they hear the belt squeeling, but many are so stupid that they just hold the thing down and burn up the belts. Some actually melt the belt cover.

I guess it's a mistake that anyone can make, but some people are doing the same thing after we've fixed it and fully explained what the problem is. "It's doing it again!!!" They're mad at the machine and they're mad at us, but the problem is them. I've gotten to the point where I've pretty much cut a few of these people loose and told them I'm don't have the time to come back, and they're on their own. If they can get it to the store, we'll fix it, but we're not chasing this stuff in bad weather. I don't mind going out in the cold to fix a machine, but I'm not going out to fix stupidity. For any price.

Thanks.....I feel better now. :cheers:
Right on! What's it that Ron White says: YOU CAN'T FIX STUPID!!:dizzy:

For the last two weeks here [North Bay Ont] its been about -20 to -30 and people are calling for wood saying there eyeing up there Furniture for firewood and some I remember asking if they thought they would have enough and Yup! were good was the answer, some said "we burnt ten cords last year and that's all were going to need this year" So an increase in price when in an emergency order comes is OK by me.
Next winter I'll be ready with just White Birch on hand for emergency orders, most dont want it but in an emergency it'll do.

Just a thought, and I know you probably do not have everyone's #, but since these, as you say are regular customers, perhaps call them a few days in advance by judging how much firewood you have burned vs. the amount of firewood you last delivered to customers. If you watch the weather forecast, and notice bad weather is coming in, perhaps call the customers to ask how well their wood pile is stocked. I know it isn't your responsibility to make sure all of your customers have firewood, but they may see at as a courtesy call, a friendly reminder, and you could possibly get a few last minute "emergency" calls out of the way. Like I said, I do not expect you to do this with every customer, it is just a thought.

For the last two weeks here [North Bay Ont] its been about -20 to -30 and people are calling for wood saying there eyeing up there Furniture for firewood and some I remember asking if they thought they would have enough and Yup! were good was the answer, some said "we burnt ten cords last year and that's all were going to need this year" So an increase in price when in an emergency order comes is OK by me.
Next winter I'll be ready with just White Birch on hand for emergency orders, most dont want it but in an emergency it'll do.

Funny, just last night we were watching 'Cinderella Man' about a boxer in the great depression era. They had a couple scenes where the family had the electricity cut off for not paying the bill for four months, and were tearing old lattice from a fence in their NJ neighborhood to keep the stove warm.

It's amazing how 'economic depression' can be interpreted differently 80 years later. Back then, people barely ate, had one set of clothes, and not even a radio if they had hard times. Today's version: "give me a break on my wood order, and rush it over here on Sunday evening because we might burn our couch"; meanwhile, they are fine with buying useless junk, and electronics, and happily pay the cell phone and cable bills before making sure they are warm.........

I always look at it that at least the phones are ringing, nice to turn away customers but its hard when you are waiting for some. A few years ago I had a guy call me at 1030 at night, during a blizzard (new customer never seen the guy before), to tell me he had slid in the ditch down the road. He called (once in the ditch not beforehand), and said I needed wood, and figured since it was so late that someone must be home. He said "I drive by your place when I go to work all the time and I know that you got some tractors and a bobcat can you come pull me out?" I told him no I would not assume the liability. My suspicion was that he was on his way to steal wood but went in the ditch and figured it would be cheaper to buy wood/get a free ride out of the ditch then it would be to get a wrecker. If he was on his way to a big box store they wouldn't send someone to get him. If he were a regular customer, or had called and told me he was on his way at least, I might have done something Seems like everyone around here though, they wait until the last minute and when you tell them no they are shocked and mad. I always enjoy the person who buys a 1/4 of a cord (that aren't financially challenged) burn the heck out of it and think it will last all winter. Seems like the day before Christmas and Thanksgiving are the worst, all wanting a nice fire for the family and they want it that day. The holidays are always on the same day, but no one plans. Then they are really mad when you wont drive 30 miles one way to deliver 20 dollars worth of wood to give them one big fire, but yet they wont come pick it up in their fancy car.

Snow is a great salesperson

I've been getting a lot of requests since we got 3+ feet of snow. People have decided it's easier to get a load dropped off than dig out their own pile.

That's the good news, the bad, I have the same 3 feet of snow making getting to my piles pretty much out of the question. I can dig to it, but there's a 6 inch glacier of solid ice underneath. I figure a few cord of sales isn't worth the body work on the truck. I went over to a landing where I have 15 cord of tree length piled. Unfortunately the only way I'm getting through the 6 foot frozen snow banks to access the landing is with a jack hammer.

Take Care

Back