Chainsaw Oil

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MorningW00d

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey everyone, i just bought my first chainsaw and am looking to work my way into the tree business. My saw is a Husqvarna 445. Is it necessary to use Husqvarna oil to mix with the gas? What's the best oil and mixture? And what's the best bar oil? Thanks for the advice and sorry to bother with a mundane question.

Hey everyone, i just bought my first chainsaw and am looking to work my way into the tree business. My saw is a Husqvarna 445. Is it necessary to use Husqvarna oil to mix with the gas? What's the best oil and mixture? And what's the best bar oil? Thanks for the advice and sorry to bother with a mundane question.

im warning you right now, you are going to get flamed here, badly. :D

anyway, before trying to start anything of your own, with no experience, you might try getting a job as a groundsman for a local tree service first, to see if you like the work. you will start out being the grunt, which basically includes dragging brush to the chipper, and perhaps working the ropes lowering limbs (if the climber trusts you enough), youre main duty as a new recruit will be dragging brush to the chipper though, thats just how it is. once you proved yourself to want to work and able to handle 8+ hours of that, they might trust you with a saw in your hand, to cut up the larger limbs as they come down, before chipping. its a slow progression and will take a lot of hard work untill anyone trusts you with jobs that could get you, or them hurt/killed.

no its not necessary to use husqvarna premix in your gas, i run stihl ultra @ 40:1 with 93 octane in my saws, husky and stihl. pick a good quality premix and stick with it. (this topic is a huge argument in itself)

there is no best bar oil, just buy whatever is cheapest (\except that "supertech" crap from walmart - its like water and tranny oil mixed, with no tacifiers ), stihl, poulan, husky, they all make good bar oil with good amounts of tacifiers, but are all about $10+ a gallon. i know alot of guys say you can get good stuff at tractor supply for $6-7, i dont have one near me so ive never been able to see it. you want an oil with good amount of tacifier though, so it doesnt just fly everywhere , you want some to stay on your bar and chain
ps: no used motor oil.

I realize i would probably get some criticism. And i know i have to work my way up the ladder. You can't get anything for free. By getting into the industry, i meant in the future. I just want to take good care of the equipment i have now. Thanks for your advice!

I realize i would probably get some criticism. And i know i have to work my way up the ladder. You can't get anything for free. By getting into the industry, i meant in the future. I just want to take good care of the equipment i have now. Thanks for your advice!

Welcome MW yes only use a quality bar oil with some film strength . I use winter grade almost all yr for better flow and less fouling issues . As for oil Amsoil has a great synthetic product . I use their Sabre Oil at 50:1 ratio with non ethanol based fuel , which may pose a problem for you . I would ensure you use a form of fuel treatment to protect your carburator from fuel fouling issues , especially during prolonged storage . Enjoy your new saw .

I use whatever 2 stroke oil is the cheapest. Just make sure you mix it with good gas, and don't let the mix get too old. I tend to mix it 50:1 or a bit heavier. I run whatever bar oil is on sale, the only thing I don't like is the "chain Pro" bar oil that is in the white jugs that are typically 4-5 bucks a jug, the oil tends to be too thin imo. I have run Husqvarna, Stihl, motion lotion etc bar oils and the stuff in the whit jug is the only stuff I don't like.

Last edited:
Back