proposed Indiana new requirements

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smus

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I received this email from my state senator today. She has been very good to work with on these changes and I am sure helped "soften" some of the earlier requirments......

Leising Encourages Constituents To Voice Opinions
At Final Hearing For Outdoor Hydronic Heaters

Indiana residents have a final opportunity to voice their opinions about new restrictions on the use of outdoor hydronic heaters, also known as wood boilers, at the Indiana Air Pollution Control Board meeting on March 2.

According to Indiana Department of Environmental Management (IDEM) officials, the 12-member panel will vote on final approval of the new rules, which would affect nearly 8,000 Hoosiers. Final adoption, after hearing public testimony, is scheduled at the Tippecanoe County Public Library, 627 South St., Lafayette, at 1 p.m. The group gave its preliminary support to these rules, which have been discussed since 2005, in September 2010.

At the beginning of this meeting, oral statements will be heard, but IDEM officials also ask that those testifying submit written statements as well. It's important for those who will be affected by these new regulations to attend the hearing and express their thoughts.

Key requirements being considered for final adoption will include the following:

New installations meeting the most recent EPA air quality standards;
Seller/dealer giving notice of state rule to a buyer and mailing a signed notice to IDEM;
Wood burners not being used during June, July and August if a neighboring residence is less than 300 feet away; and
Smoke stacks being 5 feet higher than any neighboring occupied building within 150 feet, but not having to be higher than 22 feet.
I encourage residents who use outdoor wood furnaces to contact IDEM and get the information they need to do in-depth research on the regulations to be considered. If they have concerns about the new requirements they may want to voice them at the final hydronic heater hearing.

For more information, including an EPA list of cleaner hydronic heaters or IDEM's proposed regulations, visit www.in.gov/idem/6507.htm or call 1-800-451-6027.

This email was sent by: Indiana State Senate
200 W. Washington St.
Indianapolis, IN 46204 USA

Manage Subscriptions | Update Profile | One-Click Unsubscribe

That doesn't sound very restrictive to me, sounds like a fair compromise. A solar water heater for the summer months for those that rely on the WB for hot water would be workable.

Do you know of ANY Government control group that was satisfied with their initial controls. I sure can't think of any. I am afraid of the "camels nose". If you could read the report all this stuff was based upon I believe it would scare you to death. The statements made were so biased against wood burners it was terrible.The data used would not meet any standard I would have accepted for any sort of action.
It bothers me that controls can be made law, based on such Data and have an effect on so many people and their ability to save a little money, while at the same time, helping us keep some of the dollars spent on oil here at home.

They are requiring Phase 2 units.

It is very restrictive since EPA does not require them yet....

Only 8000 Hoosiers have OWB's?

Well, if 2.5% of Hoosiers burn wood and 5% of those have OWBs, that makes 8,000.

I'd say those numbers are probably pretty close when you figure that not many people burn wood in the populated areas, and of the people that do burn wood, not many have OWBs. I can honestly say that I can count on one hand the number of people I know with OWBs.

More government control.
I'm really getting sick of them running our lifes.

Okay, then. Would you rather that police depts. be closed? (Other than when you're in a rush on the highway.)

Were I to find one of those bug-killer OWBs upwind from me, I'd be thinking something like precision air-drop, if the gummint couldn't handle it. One smudge-pot in the area is quite enough.

I believe the study they're using was done in the Northeast, you know the place on This Old House where which one of three shade of yellow is deemed acceptable by the local "historical (snob) society".

I'll bet if you were off the record the IDEM air resources board would really like a total ban on wood burning. This is what you get when you give a bunch of people with liberal arts degrees a job with power.

Well, if 2.5% of Hoosiers burn wood and 5% of those have OWBs, that makes 8,000.

I'd say those numbers are probably pretty close when you figure that not many people burn wood in the populated areas, and of the people that do burn wood, not many have OWBs. I can honestly say that I can count on one hand the number of people I know with OWBs.

I dunno, Get up north around Elkhart and there's quite a few OWBs to be seen from the road, and lots of them used for heating Greenhouses.
I'd think the number would be a LOT higher going just from eyeball.

It's definately an overreach either way though, as many little towns could have 100 of the things and nobody would notice because folks are so spread out.

I gotta think that it comes down to half a dozen busybodies sniveling, and several idiots burning junk and bieng irresponsible as well as disrespectfull, stirring things up.
Back when everybody burned wood or coal there wasn't this sort of drama queen inspired regulatory nonsense.

Stay safe!
Dingeroyte

Okay, then. Would you rather that police depts. be closed? (Other than when you're in a rush on the highway.)

Were I to find one of those bug-killer OWBs upwind from me, I'd be thinking something like precision air-drop, if the gummint couldn't handle it. One smudge-pot in the area is quite enough.

It's people thinking like you that has put our country in the mess it's in.

Personally I can see both sides of the issue. If I or some member of my family had respiratory problems I would hate to see a close neighbor put in an OWB upwind to me. I would expect them to do anything possible to keep the smoke away from my house. Even when burning properly OWB's will put out quite a bit of smoke at times.

As to the governments proper role in this, I think one of the legitimate responsibilities of the government is to settle disputes between people. One neighbor flooding another's home with smoke is a legitimate beef. I do believe that the government is prone to overdoing regulations and while the current proposed regulations do not appear onerous I agree that they will most likely become so as time goes on.

I'm lucky in my case because most of the regulations will not affect me. I live in a rural area with my nearest neighbor being 1/2 mile away and they burn wood as well.

We are lucky to live in a state that for the most part is pretty conservative and not prone to most of the hysterical antics that happen on the east and west coasts. While as voters we will have to draw the line somewhere, sometime on this issue I do not see the proposed regulations as being anything but requiring courtesy to neighbors that might be affected.

There are quite a few owb's in the northern part of the state.
I have one and IMO it doesn't smoke excessively accept after loading for the first burn. BUT I ONLY BURN DRY SEASONED WOOD. A guy across the street from where I work just put one in and it smokes like a freight train. The pile of fresh cut wood by his stove gives a good clue as to why. I'm fortunate that I don't have neighbors very close, but if I lived next to one that smoked like that I'd be pi$$ed.

There are quite a few owb's in the northern part of the state.
I have one and IMO it doesn't smoke excessively accept after loading for the first burn. BUT I ONLY BURN DRY SEASONED WOOD. A guy across the street from where I work just put one in and it smokes like a freight train. The pile of fresh cut wood by his stove gives a good clue as to why. I'm fortunate that I don't have neighbors very close, but if I lived next to one that smoked like that I'd be pi$$ed.

The government once again has to become involved because some people either don't care or aren't smart enough to do the right thing! I have seen some of the OWB's emitting more nasty smoke than a 1940's coal burning power plant because the owner was burning nasty wood and trash! That is what we need to govern---- STUPIDITY!!!!!
:monkey:

If it's a matter of some people acting irresponsibly, odds are there are already statutes on the books that would apply, and simply need to be enforced.

Local ordnances prohibiting the creation of a hazzard by burning, are simple to enact in areas that are populated enough to warrant such controls.

Broad and sweeping legislation is not needed...except maybe in Conneticut where they would apparently beat each other to death with toothbrushes, without the Mommy state snapping her fingers...

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

What if we try to get it rewritten to read that instead of restricting the improper use of a possibly wonderful solution to our countries growing oil dependency. What if we encouraged burning of seasoned firewood with a maximum moisture content and allow inspections with timely notice to the homeowner? Wouldn't that make more sense?

I don't own a OWB but do burn a stove in the house. My fear is this will lead to more strict regulations and force me to move elsewhere or ditch my stove. But as a responsible adult with a brain I burn only dry seasoned wood and don't produce smoke unless completely unavoidable. My neighbors don't mind and often lend a hand splitting and stacking. A few of them have even commented how nice it smells. I don't think this is the will of the people in this state to make these restrictions, I think we are being poorly represented if they are only listening to the small minority that exists with the mentality that more restrictions and regulations are the answer.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back