chimney puffing

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rumor has it there is space available in the (aka) music room. :hmm3grin2orange:

Shari
According to ur manual, biobrix are not allowed so if the allowed wood was too wet, biobrix couldnt be used to balance the MC of the load? unless the proper reference can be sited LOL ...........selective reading/response?= u didnt address this! venius

According to ur manual, biobrix are not allowed so if the allowed wood was too wet, biobrix couldnt be used to balance the MC of the load? unless the proper reference can be sited LOL ...........selective reading/response?= u didnt address this! venius

Interesting that you state I don't address questions when you yourself do not answer questions. But here goes:

My stove is designed to burn, and manufacturers specs require, seasoned wood.

I burn seasoned wood.

If I didn't have seasoned wood I would not burn.

I know, that's a very simple concept for you to try to comprehend.... :)

Shari

Interesting that you state I don't address questions when you yourself do not answer questions. But here goes:

My stove is designed to burn, and manufacturers specs require, seasoned wood.

I burn seasoned wood.

If I didn't have seasoned wood I would not burn.

I know, that's a very simple concept for you to try to comprehend.... :)

Shari
ya & u got a pretty stove2 so i guess u got $ to avoid the cold but it dont really warm u cause thereafter u gotta go out & parrotpreach! CK is pretty but i dont know what u look like , on the outside

ya & u got a pretty stove2 so i guess u got $ to avoid the cold but it dont really warm u cause thereafter u gotta go out & parrotpreach! CK is pretty but i dont know what u look like , on the outside

The above statement is so muddled, spoken in Pook-ese, there is no possibility of a response. LOL :hmm3grin2orange:

Shari

when all else fails, avoid the issue & defer to insults:spam:

Pooky, my dear, :)

Please darlin', honey pie, point out to me where I have avoided an issue you directed towards me. Quite the contrary, if I have the time I always try to point-counter-point with your posts. Haven't you noticed? Caveat: That is if the issue is written in English and not Pook-ese. :)

Also, I've never insulted you. If you consider my pointing out your a$$-tute observations when you said your pellet stove went BOOM when burning sawdust but didn't break the glass and therefore was probably not good for your stove my comment simply agreed with your a$$-tute observation.

Now, if you want to argue with me about wood fired furnaces, OWB's, & attached water heating accessories, etc. your arguments (comments) fall on deaf ears here because I have already stated on this list I have no knowledge of them, don't own one, never operated one, etc. Kinda like you in that respect, eh? :)

I do, however, read my stove's owners manual and abide by the manufactures recommendations.

Have a good day! :msp_flapper:

Shari

Ran across this at hearth site
Flashback or Wood Gas Explosion:

Also known as back puffing, backpuffing, woodgas explosion

Symptoms are:
Smoke coming out of your wood stove or insert – often in a single PUFF, but sometimes as a series of puffs (like a train steam engine – puff, puff, puff)

This is caused by the delayed ignition of a buildup of combustible gases inside the stove.

At the time of these flashbacks, there is not enough oxygen in firebox and probably too much fuel….or at least too much in a certain stage of burning (initial stages).

Instead of burning steadily, the gases build up and ignite in a small explosion, forcing smoke out of the stove through every available opening, including the air intakes, seams, pipe joints, window gaskets, etc.

Some hints and tips on causes and solutions of flashback:

Causes:

Generally, shutting the air controls down too far AFTER a new loading, starving the fire of oxygen, AND:

Using very dry wood, like pallets or kiln-dried wood blocks, which burn very rapidly, emitting too much combustible gas too quickly.

Using wood that is split very small, which also burns too rapidly, creating an excess of combustible gas in the firebox.

If the flashbacks occur when you are loading the stove, then you are not properly timing your loads and preparing the stove for loading. See solutions below.

Solutions:

Just knowing about the problem goes a long way toward solving it. Once you put some of the ideas here into daily practice, flashbacks should be rare or non-existent.

Mixing less seasoned or larger pieces with the very dry and small split pieces.

Don’t stuff the stove full of wood when you are doing attended burning. Over loading a stove will often make you shut down the air control too low. Too much fuel and not enough air can cause flashbacks. Instead, load firebox 1/2 full and burn stove with plenty of air. Keep a flame on the fire.

Please note the comments below from our Forum member Robbie:
Stove “puffing” smoke after loading wood and dampering down.

Wet or dry wood, it does not seem to matter.
The reason for this I have learned are the gases coming from the wood as it is burning needs to be burned, if you damper and choke your stove, or starve your stove of oxygen, then when it does get enough oxygen, the result will be a mini explosion, a small fireball within your stove is the result.

This fireball or mini explosion results in expansion within the stove, which causes the “puff” of smoke to exit your stove……….usually in the weakest place it can find to release pressure (pipe, stove seams etc.).

Fix: After loading your stove with wood, always let it “char” or burn wood for at least 15 minutes, maybe even longer, and do not damper your stove all the way closed, this will enable your stove to get enough oxygen to burn a little, this will keep gases from building up. As a general rule, I always make sure I can see a steady small “flame” somewhere in my stove before I leave it for bed or whatever. If there is a flame, then most likely you will not build up any gases because this flame is burning the gases.

Geeze Pook...didn't know you felt that way..ya know what...why not= do crawl back into your man cave and leave this lil lady alone. If you want to attack someone with your ignorance...here I am....I'm sorta gettin=relaxed/calm =knowin=idiot Pook-ese
aka TrollKing ....

Shari...thankyou so much for guarding the gates from the trolls. You really did do an excellent job.

Geeze Pook...didn't know you felt that way..ya know what...why not= do crawl back into your man cave and leave this lil lady alone. If you want to attack someone with your ignorance...here I am....I'm sorta gettin=relaxed/calm =knowin=idiot Pook-ese
aka TrollKing ....

Shari...thankyou so much for guarding the gates from the trolls. You really did do an excellent job.
my ignorance shrinks with information such as Bacharach gas analysis of furnace smoke & actual video of flames. Now, tell me yukon doesnt do both when analyzing performance.

my ignorance shrinks with information such as Bacharach gas analysis of furnace smoke & actual video of flames. Now, tell me yukon doesnt do both when analyzing performance.

The only thing I'm telling you is to take a hike pal.
I don't play well with trolls.

If you had some modicum of decency and the ability to understand I would show you many things.
I can tell by your posts and our infamous phone conversation that you my sad troll are lost ...the dangerous part is that you try to get others to buy into or to follow your lead...your mean spirited and totally incapable of hearing what's being said to you.

This forum owner came out and said to ignor you because your dangerous. Forum users have also said as much and I'm saying it.
For you to ask me for anyting is like me asking a bank for a free loan.
As far as your nastiness...I view you as one of those guys on the corner picketing a soldiers funeral because they believe the war unmoral or because the armed services allow gay men to die for this country and it's your contention that God is killing our boys as retribution.

Your grammar or verbal skills in posting also leaves a lot to be desired...sometimes I do not even know where your going with your pook-ese.

I'm just a man and nowhere near perfect...learning everyday if possible is a task.
I would hope you could take the cotton from your ears and stuff it in your mouth.
It may help you to listen more and talk less....but then that's just a guess.

The only thing I'm telling you is to take a hike pal.
I don't play well with trolls.

If you had some modicum of decency and the ability to understand I would show you many things.
I can tell by your posts and our infamous phone conversation that you my sad troll are lost ...the dangerous part is that you try to get others to buy into or to follow your lead...your mean spirited and totally incapable of hearing what's being said to you.

This forum owner came out and said to ignor you because your dangerous. Forum users have also said as much and I'm saying it.
For you to ask me for anyting is like me asking a bank for a free loan.
As far as your nastiness...I view you as one of those guys on the corner picketing a soldiers funeral because they believe the war unmoral or because the armed services allow gay men to die for this country and it's your contention that God is killing our boys as retribution.

Your grammar or verbal skills in posting also leaves a lot to be desired...sometimes I do not even know where your going with your pook-ese.

I'm just a man and nowhere near perfect...learning everyday if possible is a task.
I would hope you could take the cotton from your ears and stuff it in your mouth.
It may help you to listen more and talk less....but then that's just a guess.
thus u avoid requested facts & figures OR EVEN ANSWEIRNG WHY THEYRE NOT AVAILABLE= BS? = DOES YUKON HAVE A CURRENT RESEARCH & DEVELOPMENT OPERATION?

thus u avoid requested facts & figures OR EVEN ANSWEIRNG WHY THEYRE NOT AVAILABLE= BS? = DOES YUKON HAVE A CURRENT RESEARCH & DEVELOPMENT OPERATION?

Wait a second...did you read my post troll?
You must just really feel neglected or something to keep up your crap for negative attention.

I'm still waiting on you to answer Shari's question which you've so convenently avoided to mess with me.
so you 1st....please I insist.
What's the answer troll.....?

...would you believe there is not 1 other person on this forum or any other forum I belong too that I have to deal with like this in such a childish way...not 1....guess that makes you an awefully special troll.
You really don't get it Pook....the only thing you'll get from me until you straighten up& fly right is my condemnation of your ignorance...there's not a question you can ask where I'll answer...you do not deserve the consideration...just the boot....

on second thought since I'm tired of following you around trying to correct you or keep others from following your advice I'm electing to go back to making you invisible...I've most likely already turned some folks away from Yukonhaving to mess with your antics...later Pook.you are now invisible to me...

Last edited:
Wait a second...did you read my post troll?
You must just really feel neglected or something to keep up your crap for negative attention.

I'm still waiting on you to answer Shari's question which you've so convenently avoided to mess with me.
so you 1st....please I insist.
What's the answer troll.....?

...would you believe there is not 1 other person on this forum or any other forum I belong too that I have to deal with like this in such a childish way...not 1....guess that makes you an awefully special troll.
You really don't get it Pook....the only thing you'll get from me until you straighten up& fly right is my condemnation of your ignorance...there's not a question you can ask where I'll answer...you do not deserve the consideration...just the boot....
ok, so how do i straighten up & fly right? should i quit asking questions? forremost about the yucon?

Last edited:
Back