Hoping my OWB isn't destroyed

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mimilkman1

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I sold my house on land contract back in the summer (BIG MISTAKE) and the lady I sold to said she had no idea on how to burn wood, so she wasn't going to use it. Well she decided to stop paying me back in November so now I am taking her to court next week to evict her. I had a friend of mine stop by and drain water from stove back in fall and thought all would be well. Well he calls me up the other day and said he drove by and saw smoke coming from the chimney so he stopped and asked her if she filled it with water and she looked at him like he was an alien. He ran out back and the temp was 215 and no water showed in the sight glass. He shut the stove down and pulled the wood out and told her not to use it again. I hope he caught it in time so the firebox didn't warp or any other major damage was done. I will go by there next week before court to inspect the place for other damages.

How could you get a temp reading if there was no water in it? Hopefully they filled it now just don't let it freeze! Good luck!

Water boils at 212. If the guage said 215 there would be some serious steam and boiling going on if there was some water in it. Sounds like the heat from the fire heated up the guage without water.

Hope the OWB is Ok.

BTW - what is a "land contract"? I'm not familiar with the term.

seal the system & hook an air compressor= that tells the story

Hope the OWB is Ok.

BTW - what is a "land contract"? I'm not familiar with the term.

Land contract is more or less a seller financed rent-to-own agreement. It can be a great for both buyer and seller, but just like any lease/rental agreement can be a nightmare with bad tenants. Just look at this post.

I sold my house on land contract back in the summer (BIG MISTAKE) and the lady I sold to said she had no idea on how to burn wood, so she wasn't going to use it. Well she decided to stop paying me back in November so now I am taking her to court next week to evict her. I had a friend of mine stop by and drain water from stove back in fall and thought all would be well. Well he calls me up the other day and said he drove by and saw smoke coming from the chimney so he stopped and asked her if she filled it with water and she looked at him like he was an alien. He ran out back and the temp was 215 and no water showed in the sight glass. He shut the stove down and pulled the wood out and told her not to use it again. I hope he caught it in time so the firebox didn't warp or any other major damage was done. I will go by there next week before court to inspect the place for other damages.

Hope the burner is OK. If not I would sure be adding that bill to your damages.

at least if it's a rental agreement or rent to own, it will be much easier tossing them out than having to go through a forclosure! Unless it was written as a loan in which case you can boot them today!

I sure hope all turns out ok. No water and a fire in the OWB? You must be reading the steam and I'd be thinking that the steam would be much cooler than the water. Also the pumps ran w/o water... Grrrr!

Let us know how things turned out.

Yeah, it's a rent to own type deal. The house isn't worth as much as I owe on it due to the housing market, and it being a single wide mobile home. The only way I could get close to full asking price was to offer the possibility of a land contract. This dumb lady bit and I searched her rental history, and it looked good so I went with it. She never made a full payment on time, and it's been one thing after another with her. She was served with papers to appear in court next Wednesday, so I will probably get the property back. I am going to excercise the right to inspect the property to ensure it is in the same condition I left it in including the OWB. Only problem I foresee is I didn't take pics of the house before I handed over the keys, so I may have trouble proving anything. Oh well we shall see.

I had a couple of people interested in the OWB in the fall, but I knew I would be getting the property back so I wanted to wait til she was gone to sell since she has some claim to it, even though she hasn't paid me squat.

Please have an independant Home Inspector with a license do your pre and post inspections. Now, may help, in the future, I guarantee it will be a benefit.

A person with a license or certificate has a modicum of legal expertise you will not be given credibilitry for -being a plaintiff

I'm no lawyer, but I did spend last night at a Holiday Inn?

I too hope your OWB isn't trashed, but further hope its still there when she leaves in the middle of the night.

SCUMBAG thiefs will steal your dirty underwear just so they don't have to work at doing their own laundry.

Whatever the laws are in your state expect them to benefit the buyer. In Michigan, if it was written as a foreclosure contract they can stay for at least 120 days (maybe up to 180 days) AFTER the court judgement against them - that means they don't have to pay a thing and you can't force them out. If it's written as a forfeiture contract then they "only" have 90 days. Even if they leave the day of the judgement they can still buy the house within 90 days so selling the property (or OWB) could leave them with a claim. Of course that would mean paying off the whole loan so I assume you're safe.

I just went through this recently and filed in court the day they were in default - actually I had them served first, then after 10 days filed in court. I understand that the laws were set up to protect renters/buyers from abusive landlords but when they don't make payments through no fault of the landlord they should be OUT!!!

:angrysoapbox:

I'm from Michigan as well, and she has been served the forfeiture notice, then she had 15 days to pay what was owed. Now she has a summons to meet me in court next Wednesday and my attorney told me the same thing you said, he may grant her 90 days to pay up. I don't anticipate her coming up with the money, but I am doing everything by the book, because I had to search a while to find a lawyer who hasn't represented her in the past. She is a trashy POS who gets as much as she can for nothing at all. I have found out many things about her, and I make sure I don't overstep any boundries.

I'm from Michigan as well, and she has been served the forfeiture notice, then she had 15 days to pay what was owed. Now she has a summons to meet me in court next Wednesday and my attorney told me the same thing you said, he may grant her 90 days to pay up. I don't anticipate her coming up with the money, but I am doing everything by the book, because I had to search a while to find a lawyer who hasn't represented her in the past. She is a trashy POS who gets as much as she can for nothing at all. I have found out many things about her, and I make sure I don't overstep any boundries.

sounds like one of my tennants relocated to michigan ....
good luck though...........i can honestly "feel your pain"..
been there many times.

I've been approached to rent a small place that I own, although a bit of extra $$ would be nice I just decided there's no way on god's green earth it would be worth it.

Latest posts

Back