Bandit 2450 grinder

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xander9727

The Silverback
Reaction score
I'm looking at replacing my 4012 carlton grinder with a 4 wheel drive unit with wider swing and more power. Has anyone run the 2450 bandit grinder? My carlton has the 29hp lombardini w/sandavik wheel and is 2 wheel drive. I was going to get wireless remote. Tell me your opinions.

I demoed one a while back, but bought a Carlton instead. If you like the Carlton, you will probably be disatisfied with the Bandit, in a short period of time. The Bandit is a solid machine, but everything is harder to work on and more complicated than the Carlton machines, in my opinion. I also like the Carlton remote control box better than the Bandit.
Jeff

Thanks for the input. Carlton doesn't offer a remote for their 44hp machine. I don't want to move into the $43k range for my limited access grinder (I have a high flow grinder for a skid loader) but I do want 4wd, wireless remote, a wider sweep and more power than I currently have. What makes bandit more complicated?

Well, their overall design idea seems to be to inclose everything to make the grinder look nice. so, you have to take a lot of stuff off to get to whatever you are working on. Hydraulic lines were poorly routed in my opinion on some models, leading to premature failure due to wear. Then, they were very hard to get at to replace. I have not seen the specific model you are looking at in a couple of years. maybe they have corrected some of the " user unfriendly" design issues. On the Bandit 2900T I had, the remote control system gave me problems with the intermittent failure of various functions. Never found out what caused that, just learned to live with it. The Carlton I have now has performed without a problem and the remote control is much smoother than the Bandit remote was.
Jeff

Xander,

Are you sure Carlton doesn't offer the remote on the 44hp Kubota 4012? They offerred it with the 33hp Kubota. Did you check with the factory?

Bandit just opened up a dealership near me and they have a 2450 to demo. Might just do it for giggles. If I do I'll let you know what I find out.

Stumper63

I talked to the factory and they said they do not offer wireless with the 4012. They do have the 44hp but it would have the same sweep as mine I would just be getting 4wd.

Then I wonder when they stopped offering it. I demo'd a wireless remote 4012 Vanguard here in Oregon a few years ago, and demo'd a wireless remote 4012 33hp Kubota in July 2007 at the factory, and several AS members purchased them and loved them. Just didn't have the coin to pull the trigger back then.

Would be interesting to find out when and why they stopped producing the wireless option for the 4012.

Stumper63

I have no idea why they would stop offering it. I know they offered it at one time. I demoed the Bandit today and was impressed with the performance. Not surprisingly the 44hp Kabota has waaaay more power than the 29hp Lombordini. Also it is a much smoother running engine and machine. I was able to set my coffee on the machine as I ground the stump and not have it spill. It has been raining for 2 days here and rained all day today. The wider tires and 4 wheel drive made it easy to get from one stump to another and to not tear up the turf. I do think the sandavik wheel is better than the green teeth. I'd like to see this offered on this machine but I could always add it later. The extra 10 inches of sweep is a HUGE difference. I'm waiting for them to get back to me with a trade in on my machine and a final price for the one I would be ordering.

I would think the 50" sweep would be huge improvement.
I know the 33hp Kubota was really smooth too. I've run one of those Lombardini's, seem like they do vibrate a bunch.
Keep us informed what your dealer is asking, nice to know.

Stumper63

Saw one of these at the dealer today. Huge looking motor to be on top of the cutter wheel. Did the rubber flaps on the sides of the belt housing down by the cutter wheel seem to get in the way at all? Looked like a little workhorse.

The things I would like to change are 1) ditch those lower rubber flaps. 2) take the plasma arc and cut the rear steel guard behind the wheel up in the back at a 45 degree angle (it really drags in the chips) and 3) put a Revolution wheel on it.

On Carlton's webpage there is a video named "Carlton SP4012 stump cutter 44 HP kubota trailer" where it is shown with remote control.

Oddly it seems like the driving and steering function's isn't at the remote, so you have to use the ground stake every time you are grinding, something i would find pretty irritating.

But it looks like the cutting power is awsome, the speed it goes tru the stump with is amazing imo.

If we had a dealer in denmark, i think my rayco was up for replacement.

I own a 44HP Carlton with wireless - had it for over 2 years - they still make it - I just saw a new one their sales guy was delivering last week. He stopped by to see if I was ready to trade on a new one.

You can drive and steer it from the remote. Makes it nice!

I've just watched the video again, and i can see that the remote is labelled "tow behind" in the lover right corner - perhaps that can be the reason for missing steering/moving controls :)

You must be very pleased with the machine, it looks like it is working extremely fast, and very smooth cutting too.

But a bigger swing, like Bandit 2450, would be nice, imo

I've just watched the video again, and i can see that the remote is labelled "tow behind" in the lover right corner - perhaps that can be the reason for missing steering/moving controls :)

You must be very pleased with the machine, it looks like it is working extremely fast, and very smooth cutting too.

But a bigger swing, like Bandit 2450, would be nice, imo

Very Pleased with the machine. It has served me well.

Bigger cutting dimensions would be nice. I'm looking at adding the SP7015 - wheeled version. I've been holding off waiting on the economy to turn but I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on one soon. They build one now with a Kubota engine on it - pretty slick looking.

Back