owb inside garage...? suggestions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

merrellroofing

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I am building an addition to attach my house to a 30x60 10ft. walls concrete block garage. I have a 10x15 room that i was thinking of trying to put an owb in. (try to stay out of the weather, its really windy up on this hill). I know I will have to build class A chimney thru the roof. I checked with the insurance guy and he said no problem. I thought I might save money on insulated pex since I will only be about 40ft. from the basement, but not sure if I should trench the existing concrete in the barn or just run lines overhead or thru a wall as i will be heating the garage as well.
I understand it will be more handling of the wood to bring it inside, but there is alot better chance of my wife loading it if it is inside. Also thought it might be a little more efficient being in a controlled environment.
Now to the brand!!!
I have been reading and researching for a month now and not sure if i am ahead of where I started. I would like to keep it local if I could, times are tough and I like to keep my money close to home. I went to check out a heiss heater last night and I have entertained a few others near mid michigan. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I have a Hawken right now. If i had to do it over i would have chosen a Portage and main gasser.

Since yours will be inside a building, purchase a gassifying boiler that's meant for indoors. You'll save some wood, and also save some cash as most indoor models i've seen run around 4 to 5 thousand.

Maybe if you are going to install one indoors...maybe look at one made for indoors. My concern with an OWB installed under a roof is you may get smoked out every time you open the door to feed. Some come with a fan to force a draft when the door is open but I know with my Hardy, the smoke can come out pretty heavy at times. I would think you are missing out on some of the glory of an OWB by NOT installing it outdoors...at least where you can back your truck up to it and unload, lug and stack your wood. Also all the wood mess and critters are left outside and away from your house. Still, if you want to go forward, I would reccomend you look for an OWB with an auxillary fan to help you maintain a draft when you have the firebox door open. That would rule out a Hardy...Good luck.

Burnrite OWB's are built in Mount Pleasant, if it isn't one you have looked at yet it may be worth a look. I liked their simplicity and build quality when I looked at them awhile back when I was contemplating an OWB.

Midwest is over in Saginaw, I never had the oppourtunity to see one of their boilers in person though.

First of all, welcome to AS. This is a great site, not only to talk about saws, splitters, stoves, and just general BS. A great bunch of people visit here.

As for having a boiler inside I've been using a wood fired boiler in my house long before OWB's been around. However, my Riteway was designed as a inside boiler, but the only difference is I don't have an tin shell around it to keep it out of the elements.
As others mention you will not be able to drive right up the door and dump the wood into the stove. But, neither do you have to go out in the cold, wind, and snow to fire up.
You might get a little smoke when you open up the door to refuel, but with a taller chimney you should have a better draft than with the short stubby chimney that is usually on a OWB.
Like a different poster stated, you could probably save some money by finding a stove that is designed by being inside.
As for running the pipes, remember that you will always be a slave to your heating system and you wouldn't be able to leave and let the fire go out for any length of time as so the pipes would freeze. But, I guess you would have the same problem with a stove being outside. I guess I wouldn't want to have a OWB freeze up either.
I'd say go for it and put your stove in the garage. You will just have to handle your wood more.

Empyre Pro gassifyer OWB is UL listed to be indoors, I dont believe many are. While your insurance guy says its fine, it might be a good idea to have a UL listed unit.

you can save a LOT by using an indoor gassifyer..but i expect you have your reasons for an outdoor unit.

barkeater

Having the unit out of the weather is GREAT! Mine was outside for 2 years before I built this.
ry%3D480

The room is 12 X 30 with a sliding door in the side. I just back up to the door. Toss the wood out onto the floor. Shut the door and stack the wood when I feel like it.
I will NEVER go back to standing in the rain and snow to load my boiler.

You mentioned a 10 X 15 room. It will be tight but you could do it. I only use about a 12 X 20 area for wood and boiler due to the rest of the area being tool storage. Many times I wish I was using the entire 12 X 30 for wood.
ry%3D480

By the way. Smoke can be an issue so having it in a separate room like you are doing is a good idea.

You could use an exhaust fan like the one over top your oven to take away the smoke when you load.

Look at going with an indoor gasifier unit. probably cheaper and the insurance company will be more at ease with it (i know he said it'd be no problem... but until its in writing I wouldn't be so sure.)

Is the boiler going to be by a driveway or flat section of the yard? What about putting in a garage door to back the truck/trailer in to pile the wood.

We're in the process of rebuilding our home and I'm going with an indoor unit with 1000gal of hot water storage for the radiant floors. It's basically going to sit in the 3rd bay of the garage, this way I can drive my L48 right up to the boiler with a pallet of wood on the forks and place it right there to avoid handling the wood any more than I have to. You could easily back a truck right in too.

a visit to ********** is a great place to research heating setups. thats where I've done a lot of digging and put together the plans for my system.

I think I have decided to get a bigger unit and heat my 30x40 workshop as well. I will just put it outside of that room and build a lean-to for wood storage leaving east end open to boiler. I talked to a couple dealers around here. I like the three pump option on the CB 6048. Also looked at a Natures Comfort 325 and a Hawken 10,000.

I'm okay with mine now that I know I'll have to fix it on my own when it breaks... :msp_rolleyes:

I havent had to weld on it in a few years now.

They are simple and you can get the parts from just about anywhere

Owb brand

NOT TO jump in on the thread but look at biomass direct its a really great unit i love mine good quality make boiler plate steel and has a forced air fan for making your unit so efficiant it reburns ever ash into powder prob burned 5 cord from oct last yr till now and only shoveled out firebox once!!!and a knowledgeable sells staff they just dont sell ya a box of parts!!

Back