Jonsered 590 rebiuld -PIC HEAVY-

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arrowhead

RARE BREED
Reaction score
I picked up a Jonsered 590 awhile back. I decided to go through it 100% because I plan on using it quite a bit. It's basically a Partner 500/5000 series. It's a closed port 51cc. I finally got the last of the parts in that I needed to finish it. It really cleaned up nice under the massive amounts of crud that was on it.

I'll be posting pics probably over the next day or so.

The bearings and case gasket checked out fine, so I did not split the case. The one seal had a very tiny air leak, so I replaced both seals.

arrowheadpioneer

Removing the seal

arrowheadpioneer

The seal is out

arrowheadpioneer

New seal in place

arrowheadpioneer

Other new seal in place

arrowheadpioneer

Worm gear in place

arrowheadpioneer

New oil pick ups

arrowheadpioneer

This shows how the pump works, the pickup with the screen fits into the tank, and the other goes up towards the oil hole.

arrowheadpioneer

The pump is in place

Last edited:
arrowheadpioneer

Pump cover back in place

arrowheadpioneer

Top view

arrowheadpioneer

I've never seen a flywheel with 2 key slots. I did not realize it when I pulled it. I used the one I think is correct, my luck I'll have to use the other.

arrowheadpioneer

Coil and flywheel back in place

arrowheadpioneer

Piston and cylinder

arrowheadpioneer

New intake sleeve and new impulse grommet

arrowheadpioneer

Piston back in place with new ring

Last edited:
arrowheadpioneer

Checking the squish.

arrowheadpioneer

I was using .028 solder, it never even hit it, that's with no gasket.:dizzy: Depending what my compression ends up at, I may end up milling the cylinder or case.

arrowheadpioneer

A thin layer of Ultra Copper... no gasket.

arrowheadpioneer

Intake, carb and switch mounted.

arrowheadpioneer

Side air cover mounted

arrowheadpioneer

New AV parts

arrowheadpioneer

I port matched the muffler to fit the exhaust port.
I did a mild port job to the saw. I could have went much more, but that will be on another saw.

arrowheadpioneer

I modded the muffler and installed it.

arrowheadpioneer

arrowheadpioneer

Getting closer to finished.

Besides it being 45mm no. Did you want height and other measurements? If I go back in

Nope
The 45 mm was all I need
trying to positive i.d. a j'red I have.
sticker on the case says 490, metal tag says 590.
Goodluck with the rebuild. :cheers:

arrowheadpioneer

A view of the air filter. Kind of a strange set up, the choke flapper is inside the filter.

arrowheadpioneer

The last of the covers are on.

arrowheadpioneer

After about ten minutes run time, I let it cool and checked the compression. I was pretty amazed, I don't think I will be milling the jug. :rock: LOL

The saw flat out screams. It still had a hint of four stroking at 14K rpm. I fattened it to about 13,000 until it breaks in. For only having a few minutes on it, you can really lean into it. The chain is 3/8". I will try to put up a video tomorrow. :cheers:

Great thread. I've yet to delve into the Jred world...

Neither has Ed really, hes working on a red Partner! :)

After about ten minutes run time, I let it cool and checked the compression. I was pretty amazed, I don't think I will be milling the jug. :rock: LOL

The saw flat out screams. It still had a hint of four stroking at 14K rpm. I fattened it to about 13,000 until it breaks in. For only having a few minutes on it, you can really lean into it. The chain is 3/8". I will try to put up a video tomorrow. :cheers:[/QUOTE]

Not surprising on the compression after looking at the picture of the combustion chamber, it looked pretty small.

Nice job and a interesting thread. I have never been that deep into one yet.

Latest posts

Back