Shop Heater

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhizando

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I am extending my shop this Spring and need a way to heat it. I currently have a WoodMaster 4400 and was wondering what others have done here. I would have loved to do radiant floor but that's out of the question now as I already have a slab.

I was looking at these:

100,000 BTU Hanging Unit Heater with Louvered Grill

Has anyone used these before? How do you heat your shop?

Thanks!

It's hard to say without knowing the size of your shop, what type of doors you have and if it's insulated or not.
My shop is 40x60 with 12 foot walls. Insulated very well and 1 18x12 insulated overhead door and 1 9x10 insulated overhead door. I'm using an old Woodland stove with blower and 2 ceiling fans to heat it. I like to get it into the upper 60's during the day when I'm working in there. In the evening, I damp it down. I rarely get overnight burns but it is always in the 50's the next morning so it doesn't take long to get it up in the 60's again. I use 3 to 3.5 cords of dry hardwood a year. I'm happy with this setup, it has worked well for 4 years.

Hope this helps.

I have two hanging heat exchangers in my shop. One side is 32x48 with 12'ceilings and the other side is 24x48 with 10' ceilings. They do a good job and are built well. I keep both sides at 40* while i'm away and take them up to 65* when out there working.Takes about a hour to bring up temp .

Heres the ebay link. Check out his store for more sizes. I dont know him at all but was good to deal with.Let me know if you need more info. Oh one more thing ,I originally used two line voltage thermostats and found them to be very inacurate so i switched them to digital Ranco etc111000 units and they are perfect now.

110k BTU Unit Heater Outdoor Furnace Boiler , MODINE - eBay (item 180624569946 end time Apr-12-11 11:41:06 PDT)

Its going to be about 30x40ish when its done. I guess I want to try and take advantage of the OWB as its right at the backside of the shop. I have to fill that anyways for the house. The shop will be insulated and I will only really be using it on the weekends.

Like I said radiant floor is out of the question as I already have a slab. I thought plumbing one of those hanging units would provide some quick heat to the shop when called upon. I havn't seen too many people with them installed though. Seems like I could maybe try and rig something up with an old radiator and fan?

A water to air X will work well just remember that some of those fans can be LOUD try to get a decibel rating or go somewhere that has what you are considering and spend some time around it, I have a neighbor that has a 220,000 BTU water to air exchanger in his shop and its so loud that he runs it continuosly when he is not in the shop and shuts it off when he enters and turns on again when he leaves.

Back