Husqvarna 394xp Vs. Stihl 660

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Husqvarna 394xp Vs. Stihl 660

• Stihl 660

Votes: 42 41.6%
  • Husky 394

Votes: 59 58.4%

• Total voters
the orange husky! mostly cuz it dont have a white streak in the paint job!! the orange and white saws are over rated in to many ways.... service of the husky are as simple as needed for in woods adjustments! ive owned a few o/w saws and never again!!!!!

Both are real close in power with probably a little edge in power for the 394 stock.

To many variables for every individual to like just one but I voted for the 394. Have many hours on one and they are smooth.

Last edited:
I'm sure it's regional but the 660 rules this area as far as the oak and walnut loggers are concerned. You just never see a big husky in this area. Some of it may be due to the area not having a decent husky dealer. The 660 comes proven, there are literally hundreds of the 066's and 660 around this area due to all the oak and walnut logging, supposedly we have the worlds largest walnut and oak processing facility located just west of Neosho, Mo. It is owned by the Chinese and they process all the walnut and oak furniture grade lumber and ship in to China. The size of the place is incredible.

I'm sure it's regional but the 660 rules this area as far as the oak and walnut loggers are concerned. You just never see a big husky in this area. Some of it may be due to the area not having a decent husky dealer. The 660 comes proven, there are literally hundreds of the 066's and 660 around this area due to all the oak and walnut logging, supposedly we have the worlds largest walnut and oak processing facility located just west of Neosho, Mo. It is owned by the Chinese and they process all the walnut and oak furniture grade lumber and ship in to China. The size of the place is incredible.

That makes a lot of sense. I can see that happening. My area too favors Stihl. I am partial to Husqvarna/Jonsered. However, you cant go wrong with either saw IMHO. Its just what ya like I guess. But to answer the OP's question, I favor the 394. But a big 660/066 would be awesome too! ;)

Why are you listing the old 394xp, and not the newer 395xp?

I don't know for sure but I read on this post that the old 394s had more power than the 395s,plus I own a 394 and was curious to how people compare them to the 660s.

I think Ive heard too that the 394's were maybee a touch stronger than the 395's. Both the 394&066 were outstanding saws from what Ive heard and read. Hang onto that 394.......

I have Each saw here,,, Its no secret I'm a Stihl guy and work part time @ a local OPE shop,,, over the years have aquired Several of the 066/660's.. But in the last few have picked up a Few Huskies along the way and one is a well used 394XP
Id have to say the 394 is smoother in the cut with the improved AV package and maybe a tad quicker than my stock stihl, in wood over 36"
However,,, I tend to use the 066's most of the time because it's a couple of pounds lighter package and by the end of the day that makes a difference,,,, and the ones I run most are modded so the 394 in stock trim is relegated to the title of "The Mother of all Buckers",,, LOLOL It could probably use a fresh slug so when I bust it open,, Im sure the ports will get a little attention... LOLOL!!!
Dont get me wrong that 394 is a great saw and it does see it share of run time,,, I just mainly use it for Bucking big stuff,, for me thats where it shines,,,

The only negative thing I can say about it is,, (and I'm being Honest) I don't care for dealing with the outboard Clutch when changing chains and especially Rim sprockets

I voted for the Creamsicles!!!!!! LOLOL!!!:blob2::blob2::blob2:

Last edited:
I think Ive heard too that the 394's were maybee a touch stronger than the 395's. Both the 394&066 were outstanding saws from what Ive heard and read. Hang onto that 394.......

I found the saw on craigslist, the owner dropped a tree on it. He sent it to me as a box of parts for $50. All i had to do was replace the handle assembly and air filter cover, and it's ran like a champ since. I'm doing the same thing now with a 660 I own, that I found it at a auction for $10 (all parts), we'll see how I like it.

I have both but prefer the Husky....it's smoother, better balanced and sounds cool!! The Stihl is lighter and I like the transparent fuel tank.

I found the saw on craigslist, the owner dropped a tree on it. He sent it to me as a box of parts for $50. All i had to do was replace the handle assembly and air filter cover, and it's ran like a champ since. I'm doing the same thing now with a 660 I own, that I found it at a auction for $10 (all parts), we'll see how I like it.

Thats awesome. Ya cant beat that.

I like the 066 over the 660 but if it doesn't say homelite or mcculloch it had better say stihl.:msp_biggrin:

I don't own a husky yet but if a 394 came up for the right price I would buy it.

A bit off topic, but where's your signature picture from? Can't make out the text on the left of the skull.

Also, you're a lucky bastard for getting that saw for 50 bucks!

Why are you listing the old 394xp, and not the newer 395xp?

Yeah, 066/394, 660/395........nevertheless!

And the 394/95's don't come proven?

A bit off topic, but where's your signature picture from? Can't make out the text on the left of the skull.

Also, you're a lucky bastard for getting that saw for 50 bucks!

ChrisF, the signature is off a t-shirt I have, it just says Oregon Pacific Logging Company, always like the picture.

Aussie1, couldn't tell you if they are or aren't, never seen one in this neck of the woods. When you don't have good dealers you simply don't have distribution. Regional diversity is a big deal here in the States, it's the same with Dolmars in this area, you have to go 80 miles east to find a good dealer, therefore you never see any new Dolmars in this area.

I've only ran 395s, never ran a 394. I have owned an 066 and I own a 660 now. I've had quite a bit of runtime on both. I'm hard pressed to choose one over the other but if I have to, I'll vote for the 066/660. I just like the feel of them better. I don't like the outboard clutches. I just like the way a Stihl is made better I suppose. I like the controls, the clear tank, the lighter weight, everything.
Don't get me wrong, I think the 394/395 is an excellent saw also. I just like the 660/066 better. JMO. I personally, could'nt ever tell a difference in power between the two, even though they have a very different feel in wood.

Latest posts

Back