PPK 80 2 men chainsaw (pic heavy)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Isna

Logging and sharing it (teaching)
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Finally found the time to go get the PPK chainsaw I had spotted a while ago (3 hours away from my place). Dusted it, drained the old fuel and... ... started it! Great for a 65 years old saw! Had dead insects spitting out the mufflers the on the first start but it fired up better than a new modern saw!
Even the original paint is close to perfect.
Here are a few pics and a poor quality video (Sorry about that but I don't have any better camera).

[video=youtube;aqJtbx5whcc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqJtbx5whcc[/video]

578003DSC00447.jpg

507249DSC00449.jpg

301406DSC5004.jpg

609992DSC00432.jpg

481036DSC00433.jpg

226176DSC00436.jpg

197605DSC00437.jpg

Any info on this saw would be welcomed (I know belgian has a really neat one...). The chain oil tank cap (at the "tip" of the bar) is in bad shape but I'm not even sure it's the original one. Any info on that?

Great news that you got the saw and a bonus that it runs so well. I think you are correct that the oil cap is not original but it is a small thing.

Fantastic! No video shows up for me. Just the pictures. I have problems with embedded videos on this site. Would you please post the link to the video?

Thanks. The oil cap is badly cracked and leaks. The threaded part is close to falling apart. that's why I would like to know what it should look like. Need to have a knew one made.

It's a shame the sound is so bad in the video. I love the way these old engines sound in real life... Nothing close to what you here in the video (damn old 3mp Cannon camera!).

Thanks. The oil cap is badly cracked and leaks. The threaded part is close to falling apart. that's why I would like to know what it should look like. Need to have a knew one made.

I'm with You,,, If You have a local machine shop near I would have one made out of metal with a O-ring seal and Knurled around the edges so you can grip it,,,, if you cant find one,,, Maybe Roland may know where one is,,,

Very Cool Saw BTW!!! Rep for ya,,,

Last edited:
That is a cool old saw. You're lucky, in France you have access to many neat old two-man saws like the PPK and Rexo saws. I hope to import a Rexo someday.

I really now need to get a Rexo. I discovered 2 weeks ago that I am related to the makers of Rexo saws. They were linked to my family on my father's side and we still share the same family name. I now am pissed I missed one 2 months ago...
That's my next "wishlist" saw...

Nice saw ! I agree with you that nothing beats the sound of a 2 man chainsaw.

The oil cap is not original on your saw ; it should be identical to the one which is on your gearbox. I cracked a part of the cap ear trying to open it, as it was locked up solid. The casting also was very brittle. I suggest you try to make a new one, but that is quite some work for a cap. I'd wait until a parts saw turns up if I were you. No pics as I am travelling in Turkey for the moment.

Nice saw ! I agree with you that nothing beats the sound of a 2 man chainsaw.

The oil cap is not original on your saw ; it should be identical to the one which is on your gearbox. I cracked a part of the cap ear trying to open it, as it was locked up solid. The casting also was very brittle. I suggest you try to make a new one, but that is quite some work for a cap. I'd wait until a parts saw turns up if I were you. No pics as I am travelling in Turkey for the moment.

Thanks for the info. I will probably end up making a cap myself. Will try to find a bolt with the right thread and cut, weld, grind and file. I am also a knife maker and it seems easy to me if I find the right thread. Much easier than finding a "parts saw".
Any extra info about this saw?

Thanks for the info. I will probably end up making a cap myself. Will try to find a bolt with the right thread and cut, weld, grind and file. I am also a knife maker and it seems easy to me if I find the right thread. Much easier than finding a "parts saw".
Any extra info about this saw?

Any decent machine shop should be able to turn and knurl a cap for you out of brass or steel. I think brass would look better.

Latest posts

Back