Anybody using hydronic baseboard heat with OWBs ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mhyme71

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I have got a owb and i am currently using a water to air heat exchanger. I have been planning on finishing my basement and was thinking of installing some of these baseboard heaters. I was wondering if anyone has installed these? I was wondering what the best way to plumb this system up would be?

My first question would be at what temp do you run unit? A hydronic system likes 180 degree or better water temps. Set up a water to water exchanger and it should work fine

My first question would be at what temp do you run unit? A hydronic system likes 180 degree or better water temps. Set up a water to water exchanger and it should work fine

Absolutely, I can get away with 165 until it gets real cold then I bump the OWB up to at least 185. Mine is plumbed like shown in the link above, and is non pressurized in series with the water to air exchanger, and DHW side arm. I'm assuming he does'nt have a pressurized indoor heat system already.

Last edited:
I highly recommend this type of setup. I installed fin tube baseboard radiators throughout my house instead of messing with a heat exchanger in my forced air system. It uses 1 zone valve and a thermostat. When the house calls for heat the valve opens and it runs through the side arm for the water heater and then through the house loop. When the valve is closed it only runs through the side arm and then back out to the OWB. My forced air furnace is on the main floor and serves as a backup, but I sure don't miss listening to it run. I'm sure I save some on electric as well. As to baseboard wanting 180* or better I don't know, but I've never had a problem keeping the house at 72* even in sub zero windy weather with my set points at 175 and 185.

hot water heat

I have got a owb and i am currently using a water to air heat exchanger. I have been planning on finishing my basement and was thinking of installing some of these baseboard heaters. I was wondering if anyone has installed these? I was wondering what the best way to plumb this system up would be?

I would not waste my money on hoit water baseboard.
I absolutely hate mine.

You will be out less money if you buy a few long low height surplus steam radiators
that have been changed over to hot water from used building supply reseller-

Dont forget that every inch of the baseboard will shed heat like a dog sheds water where you can regulate how much heat the individual converted radiator delivers with individual thermostats on each radiator.

Yeah I am planning on getting a few radiators as well for my basement. I have a forced air coil but I am hoping it won't run as much when I start heating the basement.

I would not waste my money on hoit water baseboard.
I absolutely hate mine.

You will be out less money if you buy a few long low height surplus steam radiators
that have been changed over to hot water from used building supply reseller-

Dont forget that every inch of the baseboard will shed heat like a dog sheds water where you can regulate how much heat the individual converted radiator delivers with individual thermostats on each radiator.

you adjust the amount of heat on a fin tube by adjusting the airflow across the fins. Often times when someone adds carpet to a previously bare floor area the air flow is altered.
Try using the dampers on your fin tube to control the air that passes naturally.

Look into radiant floor heat. I installed mine 12 years ago and nothing could work better.

:agree2:

I would put it in before you finish your basement cielings. We did and absolutely love the comfort.

Even if you also have baseboard heat in the basement, put the radiant floor heating in the first floor. Its an investment that will make your house more marketable when it comes time to move.

Has any one used a Myson radiator? I bought 3. 2 for the basement and 1 for the breeze way. The one in the breeze way bubbled the paint and started to leek. They work great but trying to get this issued rectified. Anyone?:msp_mellow:

Latest posts

Back