burning pine

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

openloop

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
So how bout it what are the things to consider when one burns pine in a woodstove? Is it a matter of seasoning, a matter of cleaning the flu, or a matter of needing more of it to last the winter? Where Im from most people say that "you cant burn pine" that being said I would like to prove them wrong especially since people dont assign any value to pine wood around here.

what kind of stove are you running?

So long as you kept your flu/chimney clean and the wood was well seasoned, you used to be able to burn it in the older stoves.

The newer EPA stoves do not burn it well at all. If you have a catalytic converter it'll clog it very quickly and if you have a second burn stove, my experience is it greatly effects the draft and just ends up back puffing a lot

Pine gets a bad name because it's a mess to handle and it's not a hardwood.

Well pine is all i really burn now but i have a owb. I think its under rated myself. I got people dropping it off at my house all the time because they dont want it . Some of it looks real good. Let it season, burn a hot fire when you use it or use it to mix in with hardwoods.Keep a eye on the flu.

Heres the junk i'm mostly burning. Gotta love the owb.
8a189c35.jpg

you already answered you own question!!
need more wood!! clean you pipes more often! never burn it green! pine is an excellent wood to burn if thats all you have, not as good as oak or a few others . i have burned it for ever with no problems, save most of my oak for the customers!

So how bout it what are the things to consider when one burns pine in a woodstove? Is it a matter of seasoning, a matter of cleaning the flu, or a matter of needing more of it to last the winter? Where Im from most people say that "you cant burn pine" that being said I would like to prove them wrong especially since people dont assign any value to pine wood around here.

Then "most people" are ignorant/misinformed. Dunno what you mean by "seasoning"- herbs & spices? :msp_unsure: Seriously, what's of interest here is DRYING, mostlikely air-drying; temp and air-flow are important.

Properly dried, pine will burn just fine; pitch can be a nuisance but has a lot of fuel value. Low wood density just means you'll be burning lots more volume of the stuff for a given heat output. (You can mix pine with deciduous.)

If you have the storage space, don't tell THEM about pine as stove-fuel. Offer to take it off their hands and save THEM a dump run.

I burn pine all the time in my outdoor wood stove that heats the house and works out great burns very hot .only problem I have seen is when I open the door to reload , the wood lights up like u just tossed a cup of gas on it when that fresh air hits it and sometimes u get some flame out the top . But I don't really see ant more build up collecting on the inside then when burning just hard woods

I like pine for the mornings to get the house warmed back up quick. Try to only burn the stuff that that has been cut to length for at least 9 months. When you get up north, it gets colder and colder and harder and harder to find anything but pines and firs. They seem to do ok, so I never gave it much thought.

The newer EPA stoves do not burn it well at all. If you have a catalytic converter it'll clog it very quickly and if you have a second burn stove, my experience is it greatly effects the draft and just ends up back puffing a lot

Pine gets a bad name because it's a mess to handle and it's not a hardwood.

Where did you get this crock of poo? EPA stoves burn it just fine as long as it is seasoned properly (like any wood in and EPA stove). Please try not to create new myths while debunking existing ones.

80%+ of what I burn is pine/spruce. I clean the pipe once/year and have never had more than a quart of material brushed out.

I gritted my teeth as I clicked on this thread, expecting to find lots of 'tards spouting off on how "pine tar causes creosote":dizzy:. I love burning dry pine (I like fiddling with the fire anyway)- bright flame, very hot, smells good, leaves almost no ash.:clap:

Latest posts

Back