burning pine

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It burns great dry. My father burns 100% pine in his indoor wood furnace. The furnace is based on a Jotel so the fire box isn't very big. It has a CAT and it loves the pine. He loads it 5am, 4pm and 10pm and can get 12+hour burns if necessary, just rake the coals forward and add wood. Heats the house and hot water. Close to 40 years as the primary heat source.... (not all of them where 100% pine)

28wectk.jpg
heres a pic of todays tree 80'

no 4 load at 200= 800 on top of 1500 just for the tree removal thats 2300.00 total

I'm fairly certain that regardless how profitable a business, it just doesn't pay to give away a finished product. I could perhaps understand if they were rounds and you had to pay to dump them. To each his own.

this is long island we do not have dumps here money transfer stations dumping is ninety dollars a ton so splitting is works for me

no 4 load at 200= 800 on top of 1500 just for the tree removal thats 2300.00 total

My point was that if you sold a load for just 50 then you would have made 200 for the wood .

Everbody's different for sure. Simply saying that that pine is not junk and burnt right can save tons of money on the heating bill.

Where did you get this crock of poo? EPA stoves burn it just fine as long as it is seasoned properly (like any wood in and EPA stove). Please try not to create new myths while debunking existing ones.

80%+ of what I burn is pine/spruce. I clean the pipe once/year and have never had more than a quart of material brushed out.

+1, I've had my EPA certified clean stove on a mix of 50% pine/50% hardwood from day one and it has performed just fine. Been trying to brush the chimney every 6-8 weeks or so to give the better half piece of mind and each time I get around 1 quart of material out of the 14' chimney. Seems to be working fine for me since I can get all the pine I want for free right outside my back door.

My point was that if you sold a load for just 50 then you would have made 200 for the wood .

Everbody's different for sure. Simply saying that that pine is not junk and burnt right can save tons of money on the heating bill.

not here pine is junk we have all hard woods oaks as big as 6' dba

Pine

Used to live in Wyoming and only had access to pine. Burned it for years in my Earth Stove insert and had ZERO problems. Like any other wood-should be dry when burnt. Heated the house just fine and made very little ash.

Where did you get this crock of poo? EPA stoves burn it just fine as long as it is seasoned properly (like any wood in and EPA stove). Please try not to create new myths while debunking existing ones.

80%+ of what I burn is pine/spruce. I clean the pipe once/year and have never had more than a quart of material brushed out.

Easy buddy. Nothing personal, just my experience is all.

I can see both MNGuns & Tomtrees perspective on pine.

It goes for about $75-100/cord here. Maybe $150 on the high side.

Even on that, a quick Searchtempest review of Craigslist for southern New England cities only turns up four ads -- two of them specifically advertising it as camp firewood.

There is a big prejudice in our area against burning pine. Growing up you'd think it was the most dangerous thing on earth for all the people convinced of the danger of a chimney fire from burning it.

I burned it once, other then a surprising pain to split (lots of knots), I didn't mind it.

Business wise, it can be an "opportunity cost" depending on your specific situation.

If you have enough oak to fill all your orders at $225 (I'm pretty sure Tom gets more then that, too), you lose money forgoing an oak delivery to sell someone pine delivered at $100.

Might just be more profitable to put it outside your gate and let it disappear on it's own then take the time to market it, or even put it in buyer's minds that there's a cheaper alternative to the more expensive oak. And you know if you advertise both you'll spend time "educating" customers who ask about the price difference...some will be customers who get it, and others will just be pains in the rear about it. And you'll explain it some, who'll buy the cheap stuff, then ##### about having bought firewood from you that was nothing but pine.

Pine is a really good bargain if you do the math here, assuming $100/cord for pine and $225/cord for red oak.

That works out to $6.66 per million BTUs for pine, and $9 per million BTUs for red oak.

Last edited:

+1.Just old wife's tales about cloging up your chimney.Season it and burn it(less than 20% moisture) and no worries.Thats all some people have to burn.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back