burning pine

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No one burns pine here unless it is in an owb. I'm about 2 hours+ north of Long Island (where Tom trees is located) There are plenty of beech, maple, oaks here and not alot of pines. I can definitely see how Tom would much rather give it away rather than pay to dump it. Local craigslist always has free pine in it, always.

This thread is funny...
Talk about bias.

Up nort', at the family lake home, all we've ever burned is pine and the occasional paper birch. The cabin is located amidst a pine forest... so that's what gets burned. If you go far enough north the only option is pine, there ain't nothing else. Way up north, where it gets real cold, and the winters are long, people have managed to keep warm burning pine for centuries.

There ain't nothin' peculiar about burning pine, it doesn't require special handling, and it doesn't cause any different problems compared to other wood. It needs to be cut, split, stacked and seasoned... then burned... just like any other.

Silly thread.

If you have plenty of hardwood then i can see passing on pine . Lots of people here burn it . Great to mix in . Keep it dry and seasoned. Pine is not junk.

2nqfz2p.jpg
well put about 80% oak 20% maple here i would get hung selling pine tom
The thread is about burning pine not selling it.

so your experience is burning it green, otherwise you would realized how ridiculous your original comment was:msp_thumbup:

Wow! What is your problem?

Had no idea some people took certain kinds of wood so personally lol

My experience is that the pitch caused problems with the second burn chamber more than anything else. When it built up around the base of it, it really effected the available draft and just made a mess. The wood had been seasoned for a year so I think that's probably long enough.

Like I said, this is just my experience. You should really dial it down a notch. No need to get your panties in a wad over a type of wood. If you want to burn it, burn away :)

It may have been the saw forum but I was getting riled up from the suggestions that spruce is a poor choice for firewood. This region has traditionally used spruce and white birch. I deal only with the spruce and love it for milling lumber and selling as firewood. Some guys her would give the natives a bad time for burning driftwood that's mostly cottonwood they use it in there saunas. It is treeless in most of northern Alaska. Let it burn.

Its a good thing you dont live closer to me tomtrees cuz id take all the split pine you would give me.

let it season and itll be fine

free is free.

I gritted my teeth as I clicked on this thread, expecting to find lots of 'tards spouting off on how "pine tar causes creosote":dizzy:. I love burning dry pine (I like fiddling with the fire anyway)- bright flame, very hot, smells good, leaves almost no ash.:clap:
Used to work for a guy (not logging) who used to call it "creosole". There was another guy there too, every year, would tell me, "Don't burn pine. It'll clog up your chimney with creosole."

Two idjits with the same speech impediment. I stopped trying to correct them.

My boss, who was the the electrical mtce. supervisor also called wiring troughs "troths".

I've been burning some pine for the first time this last week, and I have to say I really like it. I am burning in a owb and the wood is dry but I am very surprised/impressed with the performance it is giving me. It has been very cold the past 10 days, more like late Feburary and I am getting burn times not far from that of cherry. That and it smells so good burning. I saw a 10 cord pulp load listed for $30.00 a cord a while ago and I wish I would have got it!

If I have the choice between pine and anything else, I'll choose pine every time. Smells nice when you cut, split, & burn it.

I have a napoleon wood stove. It burns so efficiently that once its up to about 500 or so, the only thing you see coming out the chimney is heat. It is pretty awesome!

If you have a newer stove and know how to use it, there is no reason to be afraid of burning pine.

Wow! What is your problem?

Had no idea some people took certain kinds of wood so personally lol

My experience is that the pitch caused problems with the second burn chamber more than anything else. When it built up around the base of it, it really effected the available draft and just made a mess. The wood had been seasoned for a year so I think that's probably long enough.

Like I said, this is just my experience. You should really dial it down a notch. No need to get your panties in a wad over a type of wood. If you want to burn it, burn away :)

I don't have any problem at all. Why are you so defensive? I am pointing out inaccurate information, not defending a type of wood.

Its too bad you had a bad experience with it. Does your stacking area get enough sun? Did you check the moisture level of the pine before burning it? Do you damp-down your stove to try to maximize burn times? These are all factors that could lead to your experience.

That works out to $6.66 per million BTUs for pine

Mathematically proven that pine is satan wood. Burn it, and house is engulfed in inferno and you loose your sole. Make the sign on the Beast:rock::rock::rock:

Used to work for a guy (not logging) who used to call it "creosole". There was another guy there too, every year, would tell me, "Don't burn pine. It'll clog up your chimney with creosole."

Are creosoles the French descendants living in Louisiana? I love gumbo and jambalayas. I find pine fires to be more conducive to cooking up delicious creosole offerings

Pine

I love burning Ponderosa Pine.
easy to get, east to split, burns great
very little ash.

I have to clean my stove pipe about once a month.
Not a big deal with my homemade pipe cleaner.

I like "pine"

Pine is better than hardwood in my opinion. Tamarack is the ideal firewood in my opinion and I would take it any day over the different hardwoods I have used in the past. It grows straight, SPLITS EASY, has high BTU's and leaves hardly any ash. And no it does not leave more creosote, I know guys that have burnt different varieties of pine and gone YEARS between chimney cleanings (which I am not advocating, just saying).

...it does not leave more creosote...

Absolutely correct Wazzu!
Simple fact, pine does not contribute to creosote build-up any more than any other firewood.
Burn unseasoned wood, any type of wood... rapid creosote build-up will be a problem.
Burn properly seasoned wood, any type of wood... rapid creosote build-up won't be a problem.

The pine/pitch/creosote thing is a myth, perpetrated by impudent ignorance.

Latest posts

Back