49SP and 70E Build From Scratch.......or Scratches!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yea,..they had their hand into everything with an engine in it, they built airplanes here during the war and for years after also.
There are two other makes of chainsaws that were made in England or Britian, the Teles and Aspin, don`t know if they are still in production.

Yea,..they had their hand into everything with an engine in it, they built airplanes here during the war and for years after also.
There are two other makes of chainsaws that were made in England or Britian, the Teles and Aspin, don`t know if they are still in production.

I've heard of those names before but didn't pay much attention to where they were made..good info..

Now Now,don't give us Brits to much of a hard time you guys.

Geoff.
:hmm3grin2orange:

HAHA!! Geoff, I've owned a number of English vehicles.....all very nice in their own way.....but either way over engineered or underengineered or both at once. Series rovers....only two fuses in the entire electrical system..one for the wiper motor and the other for the heater motor. All the charging and lighting systems were hard wired???? But the best of all time was the Vincent Black Shadow, without a doubt, the about sexiest damn motorcycle ever built and in it's day the most powerful and fastest production bike on the planet. Have you ever looked at the brakes on one of these?? The absolute most complicated arrangement of levers, cables, adjusters, bell cranks, pulleys and brake shoes/drums you ever saw. 8 brakes shoes....a tiny drum on either side of each wheel with it's own seperate controls and adjustments...but the real hoot is you could not stop these bikes.....the brakes were a joke..might as well drag your feet. AND then there's Lucas Electrics....the man who invented darkness...So if the Brits take a ribbing from time to time they come by it rightly.....as an old friend's father used to say "It wouldn't be half so funny if it wasn't true" LOL!!:cheers:

HAHA!! Geoff, I've owned a number of English vehicles.....all very nice in their own way.....but either way over engineered or underengineered or both at once. Series rovers....only two fuses in the entire electrical system..one for the wiper motor and the other for the heater motor. All the charging and lighting systems were hard wired???? But the best of all time was the Vincent Black Shadow, without a doubt, the about sexiest damn motorcycle ever built and in it's day the most powerful and fastest production bike on the planet. Have you ever looked at the brakes on one of these?? The absolute most complicated arrangement of levers, cables, adjusters, bell cranks, pulleys and brake shoes/drums you ever saw. 8 brakes shoes....a tiny drum on either side of each wheel with it's own seperate controls and adjustments...but the real hoot is you could not stop these bikes.....the brakes were a joke..might as well drag your feet. AND then there's Lucas Electrics....the man who invented darkness...So if the Brits take a ribbing from time to time they come by it rightly.....as an old friend's father used to say "It wouldn't be half so funny if it wasn't true" LOL!!:cheers:

I agree with you about the ribbing and the Vincent. I owned a Rapid in the sixty's, which was great after the BSA Bantam and the Triumph Tiger Cub that I had before. Then I jumped up to a 500cc Royal Enfield Meteor Minor Sport. Then I built a Triton out of a speed twin motor and a Norton Dominator 88 frame, with a huge alloy tank. I loved that bike, but eventually it gave way to many Honda's and Kawazaki's and eventually to the Aprilia ETV 1000 Caponord that I ride now. Pity that you guys couldn't build a bike that you could ride for more than an hour without most of the nut and bolts vibrating loose, but it takes all sorts. Seroiusl though I really enjoyed messing around with those old bikes and you certainly learned how to help yourself, because you had to. Don't worry I can take the ribbing and I know that you guys can too.
geoff.

I agree with you about the ribbing and the Vincent. I owned a Rapid in the sixty's, which was great after the BSA Bantam and the Triumph Tiger Cub that I had before. Then I jumped up to a 500cc Royal Enfield Meteor Minor Sport. Then I built a Triton out of a speed twin motor and a Norton Dominator 88 frame, with a huge alloy tank. I loved that bike, but eventually it gave way to many Honda's and Kawazaki's and eventually to the Aprilia ETV 1000 Caponord that I ride now. Pity that you guys couldn't build a bike that you could ride for more than an hour without most of the nut and bolts vibrating loose, but it takes all sorts. Seroiusl though I really enjoyed messing around with those old bikes and you certainly learned how to help yourself, because you had to. Don't worry I can take the ribbing and I know that you guys can too.
geoff.

HAHAHA!!! Yeah I think we can take a ribbing too....Sounds like you've been into bikes for quite some time. Well me too.....my first street bike was a 1942 45ci Harley flathead Government model. However this was a late sixties/early 70s chopper, suicide clutch, jocky shift, pullback bars....that one did need a lot of attention/tightening LOL!! Next came a single owner 1959 FLH Harley Panhead that I bought in 1978 and still run today and is very capable of traveling to about any place I point it. Very sweet bike.....but I also have a 1996 900 Ducati super sport that I enjoy quite a bit. Bringing up the rear (as in latest aquisition) is my piped and chipped 916 Ducati Superbike....that hauls the mail!!!! That 1000 Aprilia sound pretty sweet too.. HMMMMMM Back to chainsaws!!!

OK...So back on topic....I had a very few minutes this weekend to proceed on this project. I got a few moments to smooth out the intake port and manifold on the 70E. Actually this is all about the 70E. So again I will list the pics and a short (or not) explaination of what's in the pic.

091...Another homemade Gasket...this one is the cyl base gasket for the 70E. I didn't check the squish...this material is about 0.002" thicker than the stock gasket material.

092...70E Piston installed on rod, gasket with a light coat of HY-LOMAR. Note the wristpin clips...had to use the original ones for this saw. New was not available and these were very stiff and springy. I installed them flipped from their original positions and they fit very tightly even though in the pic it looks like the right hand side is riding high in the groove...it's not..it's the angle of the pic that makes it look that way.

093...Now I've gotten some sideways posts returned when I have suggested my method of ring compression...seems like the common thought is that lo-tech is somehow inferior to buying some plastic ring compressors... HMMM...maybe,... but this method costs very little and works everytime and you don't have to hold the damn ring compressor in one hand while you try to work the cyl down over the ring with the other hand. Positioned as in this pic the ring ends and pin are clearly visible at all times in the space where the tie comes together.
Remember a tool is only as clever as the designer of the too, even if it is mass produced and special tools themselves do not necessarily make a job good. Anyway with two blocks of wood cut the right height to place the piston at TDC with gasket installed we are ready to install the cyl.

094...Same different angle..ready for cyl install.

095...Look Ma no hands!!! Piston in bore..couldn't be any easier. Note the isolation block and partition are already installed. It's much easier to do this on the bench rather than try to do in after the cyl is installed.

Last edited:
Nice to see you are back at work. Hope you had a good weekend. I like the cable tie idea with the rings,cheap and cheerful. I like the Duc's too,but my artificial knee joints won't let me ride them anymore.
geoff.
:cheers:

Thanks Geoff. I always use ties..I preffer them for two reasons as I said, visibility of the ring ends and the locating pin and the fact you don't have to use one hand to hold the factory made ring compressor while trying to keep track of ring ends, pins and sliding the cyl on to the piston. The blocks of wood are also indespensable so the piston stays put at TDC and isn't trying to jacknife this way or that or dissappear down into the case. Just common simple stuff that makes a job easier and predictable. Tools you might call them...LOL!! I actually have a wider cable tie that has a release catch that I use for two ring pistons. I think I got that from under the dash of an auto and it was used to secure a large bundle of wiring. That one works great too and is reusable...

Talking about knees....you must have seen the T-shirt (Ducati) that depicts a white haired guy in jeans and wearing that t-shirt,riding away, leaning hard left with his knee down on a 9XX series. The caption reads, "Aren't you a little old to be still wearing the knees out of you jeans??" LOL!! Never had the shirt but alway get a chuckle!!!!

Great job you are doing there Robin, those saws will be better than new when completed. Good tips on putting the parts together, slow and methodical is the best route to follow to get it done right.

OK...So back on topic....

I095...Look Ma no hands!!! Piston in bore..couldn't be any easier. Note the isolation block and partition are already installed. It's much easier to do this on the bench rather than try to do in after the cyl is installed.

Cantdog, what type of gasket/sealant/adhesive did you use on the isolation block? I ask because the ones I've dealt with seem to be attached at the factory with some kind of sealant/adhesive that 'turns into' a hard plastic (this was mentioned either in this thread, or another Jonsered thread).

Another thanks for the details and the photos :msp_thumbsup:!

Cantdog, what type of gasket/sealant/adhesive did you use on the isolation block? I ask because the ones I've dealt with seem to be attached at the factory with some kind of sealant/adhesive that 'turns into' a hard plastic (this was mentioned either in this thread, or another Jonsered thread).

Another thanks for the details and the photos :msp_thumbsup:!

I use HYLO-MAR on everything..just a very very thin coat both sides..thin as i can get it.

I'm not sure but I don't think the factory used any sealer. I think it's just the gasket material, pressure, fuel/oil and heat that hardens and sticks them so hard to the cyl. They do not come apart well... ever...these stock gaskets are much thicker than any other on these saws.

I use HYLO-MAR on everything..just a very very thin coat both sides..thin as i can get it.

I'm not sure but I don't think the factory used any sealer. I think it's just the gasket material, pressure, fuel/oil and heat that hardens and sticks them so hard to the cyl. They do not come apart well... ever...these stock gaskets are much thicker than any other on these saws.

Thanks for the info. I've yet to break an isolator, knock on wood, but I've found a couple of broken ones with some of my project/parts saws. Scraping off the gasket, or whatever the material is, is a PITA :bang:.

Back