My Stihl 08s Collection...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi jobooie, If you are going to collect the 08's then you also need the attachments for them..

The 08 (1108) had almost as long of a run as the lightning contra 090 saws (1106) 59 to 85. Not sure when the last year was for the 1108.. My last ads are from 83 for it.

This price list calls it an 06 but I think that is a typo error.. Acres says the 08 was released in 63 but I think this is list may date prior to that.

d24.jpg

Ric...

That's the first time I've seen the Contra/Lightning referred to as the D24. Do you know anything else about that?

Gotta love the prices!!!!! Of course at that price, in 1964, it would have taken me 2 months pay to buy it. :cry:

Ric...

That's the first time I've seen the Contra/Lightning referred to as the D24. Do you know anything else about that?

Gotta love the prices!!!!! Of course at that price, in 1964, it would have taken me 2 months pay to buy it. :cry:

I hunted for a while trying to find info on the d24 designation. It is a US only thing I think.. I will post some D24 info in the contra club

2 months pay,,, 1964,, you must be reeeely old there old guy:hmm3grin2orange:

I am looking to buy a working 08s, and have posted an ad on the chainsaw side, and a mistake/error add, first attempt on the discussion board. Any help would be appreciated. To pics posted to this tread are very nice.

Pat

Nice saws! I found a chainsaw collector site and there are some AWSOME saws on there. Here are some pic of one of the saws on there. Some of the members have too many to count!

View attachment 152136

Last edited:
Nice view! also have a Stihl 08S, but I am restoring! bought it from a man who had saved for five years in a barn! when you're ready I'll post the pictures!

Hey jobooie,

Last summer I found arboristsite and cought the CAD bug. I was surfing Craigslist and found an S10 rear handle. Went to look at it, low compression and had been physically abused. So I passed on that one and a month later found an original 08. It was in nice shape, but had no spark. I bought it, cleaned up the breaker points, then put it in wood. The original style chipper chain that it was equipped with, although sharp, was really slow in the cut. So I picked up a loop of 46 RS 60 chain and tried it again. Wonderful result, it would put some massive chips on the ground and maintain a decent rpm in the cut.

A couple of months ago I pulled it out of the shed to assist on some blowdown, and I couldn't get it started. It acted like it wasn't getting any fuel, so I put it away. Suffering with CAD, I couldn't just let it set there knowing that it wouldn't start. I don't particularly care to cut wood with it, so I punched "stihl 08 attachments" into google and was directed here. Another link that came up was for a "TS 08" listing on eBay that was still active. So I pulled the trigger on the cut-off saw attachment, then tore into the carburetor of my 08. I found fuel in the pump chamber, but not in the metering chamber. This was caused by a metering diaphragm that was stiff as a board. So I picked up an original tillotson HL carb rebuild kit, fuel line, fuel filter, air filter, and a foam pre-filter. Now that I had the 08 powerhead running well I installed the belt pulley drive and TS kit. I did not purchase the high capacity TS 350 style air cleaner, because I never intend to cut masonry with it. I simply oiled up a foam prefilter for a lawn mower and slid it over the original style mesh filter. Equipped with a metal cutting blade, I'm ok with the filter's ability to knock down the resulting dust and debris.

I tried it out this morning on an old aerial tv antennae that was taken off my roof last fall. I only have a 5' pickup bed and wanted it to fit nicely for a trip to the scrap yard. I'm well impressed with the 08 powerheads ability to buzz through metal. 1 1/2" diameter 1/8" wall pipe was laid to waste at about 3 seconds per cut! Now I'm much happier that my old 08 is a tool that will actually be used around my place.

C974690F-9AC9-4BDF-8098-13E122B3B105-2974-000004E0FEF87711.jpg

90CEE46A-946C-40C0-87CA-C82F96C81925-2974-000004E0FACF3EC9.jpg

03D3CEEF-8A59-46B3-BCD4-87FBBC39BCD8-2974-000004E1029CFFA7.jpg

For the antique Stihl aficionados, my 08 colors are a shade darker than current grey and orange. I emailed Stihl about it and they thought that it had just darkened from age and use. When I had it apart all of the over spray and paint coverage appears to be original. I can not decipher any paint stripping or coverage of another color. I would re-paint it, but the original paint is only original once and I'd rather not ruin that. Do any of the more sage members know if Stihl's colors were a little darker in the 1950's?

Latest posts

Back