Full wrap handles

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blue dog

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have never run a saw with full wrap handle. I've never seen where I would need one. What is a full wrap handle mostley used for? I'm no pro as you can tell from the question. I cut about 15 cords of wood a year and enjoy doing it. Is a full wrap one of them things where you don't know what your missing untill you use one?

I thinking about getting one for my 576xp

If you aren't a Climber, Logger, or Arborist you won't see much advantage as it is mainly advantageous when blocking down a stub unless you really wanna run your saw left handed or something.

I'd say the most important advantage a full-wrap offers is that it lets you do all of your cuts from one side of the tree. This makes it easier to keep cuts parallel, and it also makes escape routes easier to plan for. It also makes it way easier to cut on steep ground. Basically, I see a full-wrap as a definite safety bonus.

They are for when you get in to a situation where you have to cut clutch side up. So you have something to grab on to. Mainly in fallin' timber.

Gary

X2, mostly falling, clutch side up, cuase sometimes the size of the tree or the sidehill will force you on the offhand side.

I'd say the most important advantage a full-wrap offers is that it lets you do all of your cuts from one side of the tree. This makes it easier to keep cuts parallel, and it also makes escape routes easier to plan for. It also makes it way easier to cut on steep ground. Basically, I see a full-wrap as a definite safety bonus.

I seen this, looks like it would be eaisier to see what your doing

YouTube - Husqvarna 576 XP

Most eastern fallers (timber cutters) don't care for them, however thats because most of them have never had the opportunity to try them. I tried them early on and loved them on a falling saw, especially my 066's on steep ground for the above mentioned reasons.

Handle Bar

It can be mighty handy when swapin a really bushy tree. I think a saw without full or a 3/4 wrap as a limited use tool. They also work good as a roll bar for the saw should the tree want to kill the saw killing it :msp_scared:

There is a place for a wrap handle. It's all already been explained above. I like to have one when I'm cutting on hillsides so I don't have to switch sides. I mean, you can cut a tree from one side without one, but it's alot easier with one IMO.
Some places I've cut, you could only get to the tree from one side. :msp_wink:

Will a full wrap fit mount on my 576 that didn't come with it? bailey's has one for a 575. On the Husqvarna web site the part # for the handle on the 576 is the same as the 575

My new to me MS460 has a 3/4 wrap on it.

I have noticed the couple of times I have used the saw I find myself using it. I am also left handed so that might play more into my favor for use as well.

Handle Bar

For south paws it is blessing. Me I can stay on one side of the tree and not do some fancy tree dancin:hmm3grin2orange:

I have never run a saw with full wrap handle. I've never seen where I would need one. What is a full wrap handle mostley used for? I'm no pro as you can tell from the question. I cut about 15 cords of wood a year and enjoy doing it. Is a full wrap one of them things where you don't know what your missing untill you use one?

I thinking about getting one for my 576xp

If you are cutting a lot of + 20" dia stands on slopes then a full wrap would be a good safety investment.

It offers the user an alternative to pulling the saw through the tree while cutting with the top of the bar, some folks really object to that practice.

If nobody that can fire you and or fine you is watching when you cut and you are cutting mostly small stuff full wraps simply weigh more and cost more.

If nobody that can fire you and or fine you is watching when you cut and you are cutting mostly small stuff full wraps simply weigh more and cost more.

Counter-point: if flush stumps are not a concern, why wouldn't you trade the extra ounce or two of aluminum weight for the extra agility a full-wrap offers?

Latest posts

Back