Logger Down, RIP Junior Hylton

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Grapevine is probably one of the top three dangers we have. Trees and/or tops getting pulled into the falling tree from behind, I've had several close calls of whole trees or pieces, I know a friend that had to get flown out of a job from getting hit from behind from grapevine connected to a tree behind him, its a real difficult one. Anybody who has cut in the east will tell you "####ing grapevine".

I appreciate you filling us in on the story because it helps bring the experience home so we can carry it forward to keep us all a little safer.

Yea, grapevines are really dangerous. Sometimes cutting them doesn't stop them from pulling things down on you.
like Hammer said, "####in grapevines"
they do provide a nice snack whilst attempting to top a tree but are stuck in the vines.

####ing grapevines. I've had too many close calls with them myself. Usually at the end of the day when you've cursed them all day and miss one. I had one up high once that I didn't see that swung the tree around so fast it clothes-lined the top off of a nearby tree and sent it flying towards me. It doesn't take much to drastically change the direction of a medium-sized tree when its being turned at its top.

My condolences to his family. Thanks for posting.

I am very sorry about Junior's death. I really am. I almost got killed 2 weeks ago and I am not even begining to take anything in the woods as a sure bet. Got my skullbucket hat smashed down to my head. Puncture wound to bone in my arm. Back, neck, and kidney problems. F'ing hurt. Cut for two more hours. My partner really pissed me off by even asking me to finish that day. Barely hold the damn saw. Of course I did, my way of saying F you. I swear I will kill somebody with my bare hands someday. I really believe in mercy, not justice. I try to exercise it constantly. I got pictures. I am not proud of this. I kept my hat to remind me to never take a play off. I did everything I could in the inccident. Just came out of nowhere. I understand how Junior could have went. And like I said, I am very sorry. This is a nasty business, all involved know this. We are a different type of people. I have a good group of friends here, but I am finding little on AS anymore that I am enjoying compared to gameday in the field. I will be back though. I am a safe thinking guy, and I look forward to the next unit. Only job I'd prefer to have.

I am very sorry about Junior's death. I really am. I almost got killed 2 weeks ago and I am not even begining to take anything in the woods as a sure bet. Got my skullbucket hat smashed down to my head. Puncture wound to bone in my arm. Back, neck, and kidney problems. F'ing hurt. Cut for two more hours. My partner really pissed me off by even asking me to finish that day. Barely hold the damn saw. Of course I did, my way of saying F you. I swear I will kill somebody with my bare hands someday. I really believe in mercy, not justice. I try to exercise it constantly. I got pictures. I am not proud of this. I kept my hat to remind me to never take a play off. I did everything I could in the inccident. Just came out of nowhere. I understand how Junior could have went. And like I said, I am very sorry. This is a nasty business, all involved know this. We are a different type of people. I have a good group of friends here, but I am finding little on AS anymore that I am enjoying compared to gameday in the field. I will be back though. I am a safe thinking guy, and I look forward to the next unit. Only job I'd prefer to have.
burvol, hope your ok , ? anyday you can walk away is a good day. healup and go at it.

Glad you're able to type, man. It's always the unseen thing that will bite you. It can happen to anyone. We just have to remember that anyone includes me. Don't know about you but that's something that I have to keep in mind constantly. Heal up and be safe.

Jesus, Burv! Glad to hear you're still kicking. It certainly is a dangerous game we play. I know I had a scare last year that was closer than I care to remember. My own doing unfortunately. My head was not in the game, not even close. Something I preach to my guys every day and I broke my own rule and just about paid the ultimate price for it.
Don't know all the circumstances, but it sounds like your partner needs a good talking to. There is no circumstance where that should happen, EVER. Even if you wanted to keep going you would probably be in shock. He should have known better, plain and simple.
If you need to talk just drop me a pm.

I'm very happy that you are alive Burv, so's I can kick your butt.

Welcome to the Flattened Head Club!

Workin' hurt is a thing of the past my lad. The days of piling up the wounded on the landing is long gone.

Be well son.

Burvol, glad to hear you're still out there and ok. Its been kinda quiet around here lately. Hope you stop by in more often man!

The spooky ironic thing is that two weeks before Junior died my family and I were at the Camp 18 Fallen Loggers Memorial near Vernoia OR. I was looking at all of the pictures of the fallen and thought about the twelve people that were killed in my county back home during the seven years that I was logging and thinking how that could have just as easily been my pic on the wall. Then two weeks later I find out about Junior. It wasn't like were were close friends but I thought very highly of him and he will be missed.

Latest posts

Back